Will our spanish players get targeted ? - Hope not

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:06 pm

Hope alonso, garcia & josemi are not targeted by the opposition fans because of what happened in spain.

1) http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=316726&cc=4716

Taylor: England should have walked off

Players chief Gordon Taylor believes the Football Association should have taken the England team off the pitch in response to the racist chanting which marred last night's friendly against Spain.
England lost 1-0 but the impressive performance of the home team was overshadowed by the racist barracking from all around the Bernabeu whenever Ashley Cole, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Jermain Defoe touched the ball.

And Taylor, chief executive of the Professional Footballers Association, wanted the FA to take drastic action.

'We have to say `enough is enough' and to set and example,' he told Radio Five Live.

'It's about human dignity. These were my members that were being humiliated. The message should have come down from the FA directors, to say we will take responsibility for this and take them off.

'We should have set an example last night in that the game is more important than winning or losing.'

2) http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=316723&cc=4716

Britain to complain about racist chants

LONDON, Nov 18 (Reuters) - British ministers have condemned the 'disgraceful' racial abuse of England's black players during Wednesday's friendly international against Spain in Madrid and demanded that soccer authorities take action.

England's Ashley Cole confronts Spain coach Luis Aragones. (MikeHewitt/GettyImages)

Monkey noises were heard when Ashley Cole and Shaun Wright-Phillips touched the ball during England's 1-0 defeat and chants of 'If you are not f**king black, jump up and down' rang out from the 55,000 crowd at Real Madrid's Bernabeu stadium.

The Spanish foreign ministry called the abuse 'deplorable'. World governing body FIFA is due to make a statement later.

'I will be contacting FIFA and (European body) UEFA for them to hold an inquiry and hopefully to encourage them to take the stiffest possible penalty ,' British Sports minister Richard Caborn told Sky News.

'It was quite disgraceful. That is what we had on the terraces 20 or 30 years ago here in England.'

British Prime Minister Tony Blair said he was 'very disappointed' by the chants. Minister for Europe Dennis MacShane telephoned his Spanish counterpart on Thursday to tell him of the 'outrage across Britain'.

Although deploring the incidents, the Spanish foreign ministry said the level of abuse was limited.

'If there were racist chants then it is deplorable and lamentable and it is not suitable behaviour of football fans,' a spokesman said. 'I am certain that it was only a small element of the crowd and Spain strongly rejects such behaviour.'

The English FA had already complained that racist chanting marred Tuesday's under-21 friendly between the two countries and has contacted FIFA after Wednesday's scenes.

'We will be making a full report on this to FIFA and to UEFA and will be sending a letter of complaint to the Spanish Federation. Football as a whole should stand up and express its disgust at what has gone on here,' FA spokesman Adrian Bevington said.

The Spanish Football Federation's press officer Fernando Garrido said some of the blame lay with English reporters, a sentiment echoed by the Spanish press on Thursday.

Spain's coach Luis Aragones was at the centre of controversy in Britain last month when he made a racist remark about France striker Thierry Henry in an attempt to motivate his Arsenal team mate Jose Antonio Reyes.

'Were there racist chants against some players? This hasn't happened in the Spanish league and Spain for many years,' he said. 'So you (English reporters) should ask yourselves what you have done to contribute to all this.'

Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association which represents English players, said the team should have been taken off in protest.

'The message should have come down from the FA directors, to say we will take responsibility for this and take them off,' he told the BBC.

Aragones, 66, was prepared to answer questions only on his team's performance. 'I've always said my conscience is clear and I only want to talk about football,' he said.

The British press reacted angrily to the Madrid chants.

'England lost a football match last night but Spain shamefully lost something more important - Spain lost their right to be considered a civilised football nation,' the Daily Telegraph said.

In the 1980s racism, along with hooliganism, blighted the English game but campaigns involving the top clubs have helped to all but eradicate it.

'Sanctions should include stopping all Spanish participation in European football until Spain comes up with an action plan,' Piara Power, director of 'Let's Kick Racism out of Football', told Reuters.

The Spanish national side has no black players although Brazilians Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos at Real Madrid, as well as Ronaldinho of Barcelona, encounter few problems in La Liga.

London and Madrid are among five cities battling for the right to host the 2012 Olympics. The International Olympic Committee said it would be making no direct comment.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ShaneK » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:23 pm

heard an interview with alonso today, saying that he didnt hear any of the abuse that players were getting + saying about kick racism out of football so it wouldnt of went on.... guess he was watchin different game to most  :oh:
ShaneK

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:36 pm

The players cant get targeted hopefully, the team was awesome but i cant comment on the supporters behaviour, it was that bad
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:41 pm

alonso was a perfect player tho, no a kick at the opposition , just did his football.
Reyes and neville, thats a different story.
I think our lads will be ok
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:42 pm

ShaneK wrote:heard an interview with alonso today, saying that he didnt hear any of the abuse that players were getting + saying about kick racism out of football so it wouldnt of went on.... guess he was watchin different game to most  :oh:

i know it his country men and that but how can u defend the undefendable ??? he most of bein at a diffrent game to wat we all watched. As captain raul should come out and aplgoise on behalf of spainish players the spainish people  idiolse him so if he comes out and aplgoise maybe some of them will look up and take notice
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:45 pm

ShaneK wrote:heard an interview with alonso today, saying that he didnt hear any of the abuse that players were getting + saying about kick racism out of football so it wouldnt of went on.... guess he was watchin different game to most  :oh:

u can't blame alonso. What do u expect him to say ?

"i am disappointed with my fellow spanish fans ? "   If he said that, he better apply for english citizenship :p.

I guess all this **** (spanish coach against henry & now the fans) is happening because the english premier league is getting more & more popular. More money is getting pumped into this league.  Nobody wants to watch italian & spanish league anymore  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:05 pm

To even think about singeling out our Spanish players is rediculous, how the heck can you?

It was not the players who did it, it was the fans. Anyone who abuses our players in relation to the racist abuse needs kicked out of any ground they do it in.???
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:37 pm

Our fans ain't that stupid! :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:32 am

i know it his country men and that but how can u defend the undefendable  he most of bein at a diffrent game to wat we all watched. As captain raul should come out and aplgoise on behalf of spainish players the spainish people  idiolse him so if he comes out and aplgoise maybe some of them will look up and take notice

Erm, for that matter, he might not heard the sound of boos because he had the volume lowered.

What I mean, is that Alonso is Basque, Spanish but basque. And it simply impossible that Alonso agree with the racist right winged chants that were heard along the match. If he says he didn't hear the chants, he probably didn't. But I'm pretty sure Alonso will be clear enough when he is inquired about racism.

For that matter, it was not more than 1000 people saying that racist ******, but you know, you only need some ****** to screw it all up. The rest of the attendance did what is usual in Spain, whistlling to the racist in order they shut up.

Anyway, I understand your outrage, those ind of racist b_astards are one thing to get rid of. In Real Sociedad supporters we also have "radical" supporters, but our ones are "pro independence" and anti ultras. I think you must know of the "Ultra" groups in Spain when it comes to talk about football.

I mean it is like English hooligans, the fact that there are houndreds of brainless guys destroying things doesn't mean the whole english people is like that, if you see what I mean.

I condemn those chants and I apologize for them, I feel shamed as a Spaniard.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverbird_lfc » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:03 am

I have a feeling there will be a backlash at our players I really do.
Its plastered all over the papers today again about the spanish fans, I really hope not but I think they will get the blame.
Michael Owen has condemed it he may face a backlash from the spanish fans now, but becks hasnt opened his mouth yet, so much for captain of the national side :glare: .
It was around 5000 fans and i am not classing all the fans as racists.
There is good and bad everywhere in the world.
Liverbird_lfc

Postby silmo » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:00 am

I can`t believe how couldn`t heard the racisms canticles. Because I`m sure
that he usually has heard some of this songs against him and basque people when he played with Real Sociedad against Real Madrid or against Atletico de Madrid for example. And not at only one time.

u can't blame alonso. What do u expect him to say ?

"i am disappointed with my fellow spanish fans ? "   If he said that, he better apply for english citizenship .

And why not?? I'm also basque and I'm sure that Alonso is against racism, but then my question is: If he heard this songs why he hasn`t said anything??.
I'm a litte decepcionated if he didn`t say anything to respect.

In my opinion this is not an isolated act of racism, perhaps  a small minority group of radical supporters were who used to do this things but this is NOT the firsts occasion that it happen.

sorry for my english
silmo

Postby Gareth G » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:50 am

Why should he, he doesnt have to say anything about it if he dont want to!

Besides, he was probably consentrating on the game that much that he didnt hear it, that is possible you know.

Im definitely against racism, i personally think its pathetic that someone can be mocked for their skin colour...but, just let this be dealt with by the people in the right positions, comming on here and whinging about its going to do squat!
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weezy » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:24 pm

racism should not even exist is modern world, people with different colour skin is just like spanish people, only human after all, the spainish coach is a bit of a T**T though, he should speak publicly to tell the spaish supporter to not to be racist after the game especially after the U-21 match with carlton cole etc.
weezy

Postby SouthernScouser » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:13 pm

I don't think they will be targeted - nor face a backlash
Why should Alonso - or Raul for that matter have to answer or apologise for what went on - wasn't their fault
If they were asked a specific question about Racism I'm fairly convinced at what their feelings would be on the matter - and it wouldn't coincide with the brainless minority

Just moving along on this thread
I heard on the radio - that Fifa and our Football Association are demanding an explanation for what happened & why

Is it just me - or What The F**k
Why are they asking for an explanation
Are they trying to understand the mental psyche of a Racist???

It happened - it was terrible, it was not the players fault
Unfortunately the Team & the set up will bare the responsibility - ie
Banned from a competition or made to play games behind closed doors etc

Another thing I found weird - although I understood how disgusted people are (rightly so)
Someone called for everyone who was being racist - should be prosecuted - criminal offence etc
How the bloody hell would they be able to tell who was making the bloody noises ??

Don't know why I've put all this really
It was a step back 20 years on Wednesday night
But persecuting the Spanish players - and labeling all Spanish fans as racist in, frankly ridiculous(am not talking about people on this forum with the last statement)

We can only hope, times change & people get educated
Otherwise - I fear - it will never truly be irradicated from the game
SouthernScouser

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion