If we loose owen we'll be mid table next season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby columbia » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:29 pm

god the things your team put you through. Its past worry now and into dispair. Not beating wolves is unaceptable. Ive supported houllier through most of the past 18 months but its becoming increasingly difficult. We wont get in the champions league we will lose owen and our team will fall apart because of it.
columbia

Postby Supermarius » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:50 am

we will be mid table this season ,if this keeps up! The players dont seem to have a clue,defending and attacking,if you were Owen-would you want to stay?
Surely he must Go! HE MUST SEE ITS OVER!
(if i was manager of this team in champ manager id scrap the game and start again )lol
Q: You're trapped in a room with a tiger, a rattlesnake, and a Manchester United Fan. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?

A: Shoot the United Fan. Twice.
Supermarius

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:29 pm

I wouldn't :)

I'd look at my squad.

Say Dudek and Kirkland are good enough.

I'd have Finnan, Riise, Henchoz, Hyypia, Carragher, Vignal and Traore in my first team squad and still wanting an addition... Pacey centre half who's good on the ball. Must have all 16's at least for main defensive attributes, be good at passing, have good technique and dribbling aswell. :D

In midfield i'd keep Gerrard, Hamann, Kewell, Danny and Smicer, i'd look at Sean Davis, Steed Malbranque aswell and i'd promote John Welsh to the first team squad. I'd leave Le Tallec in the reserves for a bit longer to develope phyiscally.

Upfront i'd Keep Owen, Baros, Pongolle and look to sign a pacey target man. Kanoute is good on the game :D but maybe Cisse in real life :D someone who can supply goals and chip in with more than there fair share.

Heskey, Biscan, Diao and Babbel would all be sold and fined for no reason to save money :D

Cheyrou and Diouf would ply there trade in the reserves and may get the odd cup appearance. Mind you in Champ manager i sell these 2 so who knows.

I would play a defensive style sitting deep with men behind the ball. A direct passing game down the left flank with Harry Kewell running at defenders at every oppurtunity. Kewell and Murphy would provide attacking threat while Hamann would be off a defensive mind. Murphy wouldn't run the line but Finnan would with Carragher staying back on defensive duty with the other defenders. Thats how yer sort the current mess. ;)
115-1073096938

Postby Owzat » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:54 pm

Even with Owen scoring 19 goals last season we still finished fifth. Without him I fear we'd sink lower, all depends who is signed in his place and who else is signed anyway. One man doesn't make the team, but the loss of a star player doesn't help
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GERRYOBD » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:24 pm

Yeah, we are struggling - we can't find any consistency and we lack width and invention - other than that, the rest have got plenty to worry about. :(
GERRYOBD

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:29 pm

At least Stu you are optimistic!  :D

There is some material there, but we need a new centre half, a new right sided midfielder and a proven goalscorer.

I'd sell half the first team squad and start pushing youth, particularly the likes of Welsh.

However, we had a "strong" team on paper out against Wolves and the managment must accept a lot of responsibility.

My first change would be to drop Kermit.  :cool:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:13 am

i was talking about championship manager. :)

if i was going to do it in real life i know exactly what i'd do but thats a different story. I'd use most of the players we have aswell as i think we have a very capable squad and i reckon i could get the best out of the team. even tho i'm only qualified to FA level :D lol

I'd love to tell Gerard what to do for every game and give me own little fire em up team talk before every match. We'd be unbeatable. :)
115-1073096938

Postby redandblue » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:35 pm

We should all accept that Owen will be gone at the end of the season. Finishing fourth and scraping in to the CL is not at all what he's after. He wants to be up there competing at the highest levels with teams like Arsenal, United and the top European teams.

He's off and we should wish him well. He is a fantastic player who deserves to be playing in a fantastic team. He ain't going to get that with GH.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:44 pm

Personally, i feel Mikey will be playing in Madrid next summer. He has been feeding on scraps for too long now and i'm sure Beckham is in his ear every England get together. Maybe he will stay if we scrape fourth, GH steps down and someone larger than life (Oneil - the only one who fits the bill) can sell him a vision of the future.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redandblue » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:54 pm

It would have to be a pretty big vision and it would need to be very convincing because from his body language, he looks deeply unhappy and not enjoying his football with this team.

Houllier's tactics have meant that he has had to scrape and harry for every goal..........imagine him at Highbury or Old Trafford or even Stamford Bridge. He would be banging in the goals without breaking sweat.

But, I guess you are right. Madrid it is in the summer.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:27 pm

Even Gerrard is beginning to sound like Gerard, not only in name. I read he is saying we were robbed twice in recent weeks by late equalisers and now have a full squad to choose from for the first time. All I can say is -

- The game lasts 90 minutes (+ stoppage time). If we can't defend for the full 90 and not concede in the latter stages then we'll never get anywhere. A lot of people give credit for coming strong at the end and sneaking late equalisers/winners so equally I would blame any team that sat back

- We have a full squad available and yet still can't beat Wolves. I feel the problem has always been more than injuries and I may be proven right. If you exclude the 5 games we've won by scoring three goals, we've scored only 17 goals in 17 league games and won only four of those! (23.5%) We need to tighten up defensively and score more goals.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:56 pm

stu_the_red wrote:i was talking about championship manager. :)

Stu, you seem to base your entire "tactical" knowledge on Championship Manager, which is a computer game based on dull screens of statistics and text.

I think that says it all.

And by the way, I'm fond of the occasional game of CM myself, but I don't fool myself into thinking that just because I can keep Carlisle in the league I'm good enough to run a real club!  :;):
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:57 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:i was talking about championship manager. :)

Stu, you seem to base your entire "tactical" knowledge on Championship Manager, which is a computer game based on dull screens of statistics and text.

I think that says it all.

Maybe Houllier does too!  :O
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion