Liverpool fans named as disrespectful?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby crazygame » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:47 pm

This is what i read in the Express & Echo paper in Exeter today which Named LIVERPOOL fans as Disrespectful.
What Man utd supporters club dont know is Liverpool have a Massive following in Exeter.
Also Man utd have Not bothered about Ripping off Exeter fans with a Massive £30 per ticket ,which is treble Exeter's £10 for home games and seeing man utd plan to use the u21 team aswel,lets hope Exeter pull off a Shock result.

GROUNDED
More Sport | Back to home page
Flybe ditch plans to reward Man Utd goal celebrations over fears of Munich upset

Exeter City’s sponors flybe have ditched plans to reward aeroplane celebrations at Old Trafford — as a mark of respect for the Munich air disaster.
The Exeter-based low-fare airline had originally offered to stump up £1,000 for each Exeter City goal that was celebrated with an aeroplane impression.
But after Manchester United fans got wind of the idea the company decided to scrap the plan to save offending anyone.
Some of the Premiership club’s supporters perceive any kind of aeroplane reference as a smear to the memory of those who perished in the 1958 disaster.
Some 23 passengers including seven players — dubbed the Busby Babes — and a host of journalists and club officials were killed in the tragedy.
The club were returning from Red Star Belgrade after a European Cup quarter-final clash.
And after stopping at Munich’s Riem Airport to refuel, the plane burst into flames shortly after take-off.
The disaster still strikes an emotional chord with the United faithful. An ugly brawl erupted more than 10 years ago at Old Trafford when Sheffield Wednesday performed aeroplane gestures as part of their Dambusters’ chants.
flybe, who already give City £100 for every goal accompanied by an aeroplane celebration, were quick to take steps to avoid sparking similar problems — but they will still pay £1,000 for any goal scored by the Grecians at Old Trafford.
Flybe general marketing manager Simon Lilley said: “It was flagged up to me last week, but it started to kick off with the Manchester United Supporters’ Club.
“We have withdrawn the celebration idea to be respectful to the club. But we are still more than happy to give £1,000 for every goal scored.
“We did this to generate some funds for Exeter City and it was all meant in good heart and obviously in the normal scheme of things we wouldn’t have to consider the likes of Manchester United and their supporters and what they have been through in the past.
“But now we understand their situation we have taken steps to address that.”
Mark Longden, press officer for the Independent Manchester United Supporters’ Association, said: “While the Manchester United fans would not want to take any enjoyment away from Exeter’s big day out, it is probably wise, under the circumstances, not to adopt this type of celebration.
“Unfortunately we still have other clubs like Leeds United, Bolton, Manchester City and LIVERPOOL who are disrespectful when it comes to Munich. But we hope we can get a bumper house for Exeter at Old Trafford and help them out financially.”
Footie fans Forums have found it sad that Man utd keep bringing something that happened 46 years ago up and below are a few from what i have read.

Manchester Utd Have BANNED EXETER CITY players from doing their normal FLYBE Goal celebrations as it may upset their fans? I have Never heard anything so sad before as this Happened 46 years ago and any Man utd fans who remember it well will be at least 60 years old.
Fans up and down the country Cannot believe that Man utd can still bring this up.

Below are a few of many messages on forums boards

I read a bizarre story in the news today. Manchester United, who are due to play the mighty Exeter City in the FA Cup in January have been successful in banning their opposition’s players from performing their trademark celebration if they score.

Exeter City players commonly impersonate an aeroplane after scoring and for the FA Cup tie will be paid £1,000 by budget airline Flybe for every goal they score.

Man Utd fans have kicked up stink (just for a change) and have banned this celebration as they claim it is disrespectful to the 21 people, including seven players who died in the 1958 Munich air disaster.

Now, before anyone thinks I am being disrespectful towards the disaster, I am not. It was a terrible tragedy in which many innocent, good civilians and players lost their lives, a tragic day for football and the family & friends of the victims. The thing is… its almost 50 years ago! 100,000’s of people have died in aeroplane disasters since then (what about the September 11th events?).

The celebrations have no connection to Manchester United at all, so no malice or disrespect is or was ever intended.

I have no pictures of Exeter City players performing their goal celebration. What I do have however is numerous images of MANCHESTER UNITED players performing aeroplane style goal celebrations! Maybe I’m missing something, but why is it ok for them to do it and not their opponents?

I'm not taking the ****** or having a dig at Man Utd like I have in the past when they've lost - I am genuinely confused! If anyone can explain, please let me know!

It`s Man Utd throwing their weight around in an obscene way....far more obscene than an Exeter player doing an innocent gesture to delight his supporters.

This latest manifestation of scum bullying is a complete joke.

I haven`t sung that song for many a decade....i may well learn the words again to show my contempt
but its clearly a reference to their sponsor and it makes them money
its very clearly got nothing to do with munich
I cant think of any company that would encourage a team to make violent gestures.
pretending to be plane is hardly comparable.

wonder if scum season ticket holders all end up in tears when they see children pretending to be planes or crashing their toys into the ground

what I find astonishing is that not only has some nob ed spotted such a tenuous link between the goal celebration and the Munich disaster and somehow decided it could upset someone but it has actually been acted upon by the scum hierarchy.

I hope Exeter score and really hope they do the celebration to see if anyone really gives a toss.
What is even dafter is that most Scum fans will be more upset about going a goal down than they are about the deaths of players they never knew.

SO come on EXETER CITY give us a Cup upset and City fans Dont be intimidated by Man utd
crazygame

Postby the great one » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:56 pm

I read about that so wat if Man u get Ipswhich and Ian Bodwitch or Ian Westlake score won't they be able to do there celebrations ??? and putting up there tickets even though there gonna play there reserves :angry: :angry:
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion