Alonso tribute to stevie g - Just a nice article

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:17 am

The follwing i have totally cut and pasted from skysports.com... so here it is:

Spanish star Xabi Alonso has hailed the quality of Liverpool team-mate Steven Gerrard.

Speaking exclusively to skysports.com, Alonso labelled Gerrard a 'spectacular' player and insisted the England star was good enough to succeed at any club in the world.

"Gerrard is a spectacular player and he provides charisma for the team with his play, and is so important for the supporters," Alonso told skysports.com.

"He plays in midfield but gives so much support to the attack also. He is a powerful player that could triumph at any club.

"Gerrard, in the Spanish league, would give exhibitions of his quality in every match.

The former Real Sociedad star went on to admit that Liverpool had been sorely affected by Gerrard's absence in recent weeks, and admitted he was delighted by his midfield companion's return to fitness.

"Liverpool have felt the absence of Gerrard, and England also. For the football the best news is his rapid return to fitness."

Alonso, who has won rave reviews since his switch to Anfield, insists he is delighted with his decision to move to Anfield.

The 23-year-old feels that, along with La Liga, The Premiership is the best league in world football, and is adamant that both are superior to Serie A.

"The two Championships are similar," he continued. "In England the game is more forceful and there is more physical work.

"In Spain the technique and the control of the ball is more important, but I sincerely believe they are the two best Leagues in the world.

"They are superior to calcio (Serie A). I am happy with my decision to sign for Liverpool."

The Reds playmaker also admitted he was relishing the prospect of returning to Spain for Wednesday's friendly international with England, and conceded his performance was likely to come under extra scrutiny because of his move to England.

"The friendly match against England will be special for me.

"I am sure the Spanish players that play in the Premiership will be examined very carefully.

" It is a very important game even though it is only a friendly."

if this doesnt make stevie wanna stay, nothing will!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:12 pm

Compliments returned

It must be love!...............

Steven Gerrard admits he's baffled why a player of Xabi Alonso's undoubted class is not a regular for Spain. 
Alonso, 22, is expected to win his 12th full cap against England in Madrid on Wednesday - a tally Gerrard believes should be much higher.

The former Real Sociedad midfielder only joined Liverpool in September but the Reds captain has been hugely impressed by what he has seen of him so far.

"I watch a lot of Spanish football on television and I cannot understand why Xabi is not one of the first names on their team-sheet," says Gerrard.

"Obviously they have a lot of good midfielders in the likes of Baraja and Albelda. But Xabi is the best of them all.

"Everyone can see that he is a talented footballer. He can pass it long or short, is technically gifted and very rarely gives the ball away.

"But what has impressed me is his attitude and professionalism for such a young lad. He's only 22 but he eats, sleeps and drinks football. He's very similar to Jamie Carragher in that respect."
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:12 pm

.. if Iwas stevie I wud stay to admire Alonso... his skill I mean .. of course.. :;):  it wud be a dream to play alongside someone like that .. I'm sure for Gerrard too.. midfield is looking AWESOME... :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:47 pm

:glare: Copy and pasted.

Real to snap up Gerrard?
Premiership News, Tuesday November 16 2004
Less than 24 hours after Steven Gerrard kicked a ball for the first time in two months, the subject of his long-term future was once again thrust into the spotlight.

Real Madrid are already rumoured to be preparing a bid in the summer, and Gerrard's Liverpool team-mate - and rival for a midfield role - Xabi Alonso, insists that the Anfield skipper would be a sensation in Spain!

This follows Real Madrid's Spanish international defender Michel Salgado
saying: ``I would certainly be in favour of him coming here.''

And back in England, Chelsea - who Gerrard almost joined in the summer - are being tipped to make another move for the England star.

It is a situation that Gerrard and Liverpool know is never going to go away in the current climate.

But Gerrard, who has admitted that Liverpool's success in the future will dictate his own future, is only thinking about getting back into the squad.

Gerrard hopes to face Middlesbrough on Saturday and be on the plane to France on Tuesday to play in the Champions League crunch against Monaco, where a Liverpool win will put them into the next stage of the tournament.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:49 pm

:glare: and again  :D

Chelsea in £30m bid for Gerrard - report

Chelsea are to launch a British-record £30million bid for Steven Gerrard, according to the Daily Mirror.

The paper claims Blues owner Roman Abramovich has approved a move for the Liverpool skipper, who recently signed a new Anfield deal.

But with talk of a £100,000-a-week contract at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea hope Gerrard will be lured to London.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:58 pm

Its all very boring!
If he goes he goes, he is an LFC player now and thats all that matters!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:03 pm

Its up to the rest of the team to play well to keep him at Liverpool I think, imagine if he stays its just mouthwatering the fact of Gerrard and Alonso in our midfield, like having 2 vierras, that was 2 rumours I put up but there is about 10 and last time the rumour was true and he changed his mind on the 11th hour.
Im just glad hes not going to real tonight incase they pull him to one side and fill him with all the tripe of what it would be like to be a glatico :glare:

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:05 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Chelsea are to launch a British-record £30million bid for Steven Gerrard, according to the Daily Mirror.

That says it all.
Last edited by Leonmc0708 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:00 pm

I doubt it. Mourinho was upset that he did not sign Gerrard but he said that he is not going to buy any new players come January.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby RedRoots » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:12 pm

I'm on another forum trying to explain how Gerrard is better htan Lampard a lot of people are agreeing with me but there's a few people who are saying Lampard is better t/ossers!! does anybody know how many goals each scored last season?
RedRoots

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:15 pm

Lampard is a top player who is going through a major purple patch but I think a lot of his game revolves around his engine. Were he to lose his engine I'm not sure where that would leave him.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion