ALL OUR YESTERDAYS

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby supersub » Thu May 28, 2020 10:01 am

Searching through my big box of footy stuff ..I've unearthed all my ticket stubs, hotel receipts etc ..I've even got Tranmere stubs ; I was Friday night was Tranmere night and Saturday watching the Reds, unless it was away and we made a full weekend of it....sleeping in the car or dossing down at friends in various locations around the country. It was a shame that the simple mobile phone wasn't around back then to catch the moment with a photograph; only took a camera to cup finals when I remembered and even using that was hit miss with the over consumption of alcohol. It was only recently I realised or regretted not giving the responsibility of capturing the moment to someone else on occasion because I'm only on a handful of snaps in the early years pre 90's. It's when sifting through tickets and you come across Liverpool v Chelsea at Anfield in 1977  ...80p (price of 2 pints of beer) ,you realise what a rip off the price of attending now. I was 15 in 1977 going to every home game and the occasional away game using what money I had saved walking to and from school , saving the bus fare, selling my puddings at lunchtime to fatty Norris etc . On the odd occasion I actually took my 12 year brother to the match...it was a sport, pastime, hobby ; call it what you will, but It was affordable to the young …..for 6 days you had to fast on no footy other than "kick off" with Gerald Sinstadt Friday night....The only time I saw Footy focus or On the Ball was if I wasn't on an away trip ...the early years it was set off to Anfield to start queueing between 10-11 for the gates to open at 1.00...had to make sure I got my spec on the Kop behind the goal , level with the crossbar and right hand post ..Got a season ticket for the new Paddock seating when  I was 18 but went in the Kop for European nights, fa cup and league cup games. So if you catch me putting up a picture or two, its just me reminiscing and reflecting on the good old days. :D
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Thu May 28, 2020 1:31 pm

There are songs that bring back a memory when you here it played on the radio ie; first girlfriend, that night out in a club, etc; When I here Dexys Midnight Runners do "Geno" it evokes a memory from Stoke City at the Victoria Ground April 23rd 1980...not the game, which we won 2-0 but the chippy before the match...It was packed, queues out the door... then "Geno" came on  and the place went mad...everyone bouncing inside the chippy and out singing ...I think a few used the opportunity to move up the queue but who cares the atmosphere on our march to winning the league was electric. You will notice the ticket says Jan 1st 1980 but it was postponed due to bad weather snow I think.

scan0006.jpg
scan0006.jpg (485.75 KiB) Viewed 983 times
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Reg » Thu May 28, 2020 4:49 pm

40 years ago that SS, you awl' baarstard.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 28, 2020 9:10 pm

supersub » Thu May 28, 2020 9:01 am wrote:Searching through my big box of footy stuff ..I've unearthed all my ticket stubs, hotel receipts etc ..I've even got Tranmere stubs ; I was Friday night was Tranmere night and Saturday watching the Reds, unless it was away and we made a full weekend of it....sleeping in the car or dossing down at friends in various locations around the country. It was a shame that the simple mobile phone wasn't around back then to catch the moment with a photograph; only took a camera to cup finals when I remembered and even using that was hit miss with the over consumption of alcohol. It was only recently I realised or regretted not giving the responsibility of capturing the moment to someone else on occasion because I'm only on a handful of snaps in the early years pre 90's. It's when sifting through tickets and you come across Liverpool v Chelsea at Anfield in 1977  ...80p (price of 2 pints of beer) ,you realise what a rip off the price of attending now. I was 15 in 1977 going to every home game and the occasional away game using what money I had saved walking to and from school , saving the bus fare, selling my puddings at lunchtime to fatty Norris etc . On the odd occasion I actually took my 12 year brother to the match...it was a sport, pastime, hobby ; call it what you will, but It was affordable to the young …..for 6 days you had to fast on no footy other than "kick off" with Gerald Sinstadt Friday night....The only time I saw Footy focus or On the Ball was if I wasn't on an away trip ...the early years it was set off to Anfield to start queueing between 10-11 for the gates to open at 1.00...had to make sure I got my spec on the Kop behind the goal , level with the crossbar and right hand post ..Got a season ticket for the new Paddock seating when  I was 18 but went in the Kop for European nights, fa cup and league cup games. So if you catch me putting up a picture or two, its just me reminiscing and reflecting on the good old days. :D

I was lucky, because I lived right by the ground I could watch Footy Focus/On The Ball/Saint And Greavsie.
Kick off was on around tea time wasn’t it? I suppose we had Sportsnight on a Wednesday as well but nothing like the wall to wall coverage you get today.
That ticket for the special train takes me back, I haven’t seen one of them in god knows how long.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby supersub » Fri May 29, 2020 11:29 am

Going on the specials was something else...but by far the safest way to go on the away days...even though we treated like ***** by most police forces
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 29, 2020 9:04 pm

I wish I was prescient enough back then to keep things like ticket stubs, programs and the like. I just used to lash them, I never dreamt they’d have any sort of value. To be fair they probably wouldn’t have much value monetary wise, in terms of memories though they’d be priceless.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:09 am

Hey up - can we all post up photos of Yesteryear supersub? Make this like a scrap book of memories? great idea.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 am

leeroy74 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:09 am wrote:Hey up - can we all post up photos of Yesteryear supersub? Make this like a scrap book of memories? great idea.

Absolutely ...that's why I did it...great to see other pictures and memories/stories
supersub
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion