Liverpool VS Newcastle 23/4/2016

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:46 pm

I only listened to it on the radio but it sounded like we had the game won at HT, in fact just before they scored their first the commentators were saying the points were in the bag and Newcastle were amongst the worst sides to visit Anfield this season.
Add the Sakho revelations to blowing a 2 goal lead and it hasn't been the best of days.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Klopp has to take the blame for this one. Failing to make changes when we needed to. Playing with a duo of Lucas-Stewart completely destroyed us in midfield. Everything was labored and slow.

Not the end of the world but the result could have been easily prevented.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:24 pm

Should have finished them off easily. Good point for Rafa btw.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby algymoon » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:28 pm

It was criminal to throw away 2 goal lead like that, however by having a very generous keeper like the useless  Mignolet everything is possible and you would not win games because of him. Yet another disappointing performance which it not unusual is from the expensive Firmino! But I thought Mignolet cause to give a goal away had in fact unsettled the whole team and put them on edge to concede the second goal to give away two valuable points.
Newcastle did not earn the draw, but we gave it to them, they are a very poor team and we should have beaten them so easily only for Mignolet who ought to be kick out of the club.
algymoon

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:09 pm

aCe' » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:53 pm wrote:Klopp has to take the blame for this one. Failing to make changes when we needed to. Playing with a duo of Lucas-Stewart completely destroyed us in midfield. Everything was labored and slow.

Lucas wasn't even on the pitch for either of the Newcastle goals Ace, If anything he steadied us up in midfield because winaljdum was strolling through them up till that point.

I didn't think Klopp did a lot wrong considering we have a massive game coming mid week and benitez was always going to have his side play counter attacking stuff so in turn we had to be precise with our own passing. That's the reason it was laboured and slow but there wasn't a lot wrong with that when we were 2 up and looked to be cruising. His game plan was working until the keeper who struggles with crosses gets lost under yet another one and leaves yer man with a tap in. The second one was unlucky as it was a deflection but somehow lovren always seems to have his fair share of them.

I can understand him playing some younger players as we have already suffered greatly with the loss of Origi and Sakho and cannot afford any more. They should have seen the game out at 2.0 but it isn't the first time those players threw away that kind of lead. It is frustrating looking at us throwing away a lead like that but its even more frustrating in the way that we do it so until Klopp has the chance to build his own side I think he is doing his ultimate best with what he has.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:03 pm

You go for a duo of Lucas-Stewart to slow down the game and defend a lead and not after conceding 2. I have no problem with the starting lineup, its the changes (and lack of changes) that I disagree with. Should have taken Stewart and Randall off and kept Allen in the middle of the park alongside Lucas after it was 2-2.

Anyways, good point for Newcastle and hopefully this result doesnt kill the bit of momentum we built up before an important Europa game.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:03 pm

Story of our season really....am not angry (or surprised) as it just highlights the lack of quality in areas of the squad. On wards and upwards to the euro semis....that's where our season lies now.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:12 am

red till i die!! » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:09 pm wrote:
aCe' » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:53 pm wrote:Klopp has to take the blame for this one. Failing to make changes when we needed to. Playing with a duo of Lucas-Stewart completely destroyed us in midfield. Everything was labored and slow.

Lucas wasn't even on the pitch for either of the Newcastle goals Ace, If anything he steadied us up in midfield because winaljdum was strolling through them up till that point.

I didn't think Klopp did a lot wrong considering we have a massive game coming mid week and benitez was always going to have his side play counter attacking stuff so in turn we had to be precise with our own passing. That's the reason it was laboured and slow but there wasn't a lot wrong with that when we were 2 up and looked to be cruising. His game plan was working until the keeper who struggles with crosses gets lost under yet another one and leaves yer man with a tap in. The second one was unlucky as it was a deflection but somehow lovren always seems to have his fair share of them.

I can understand him playing some younger players as we have already suffered greatly with the loss of Origi and Sakho and cannot afford any more. They should have seen the game out at 2.0 but it isn't the first time those players threw away that kind of lead. It is frustrating looking at us throwing away a lead like that but its even more frustrating in the way that we do it so until Klopp has the chance to build his own side I think he is doing his ultimate best with what he has.

Even though I give it to you that JK hasn't build his own team yet, I do think that SOME of the blame has to be on him. I can't give him a free pass time and time again. He's been here 6 months. And that's plenty of time. That's like two pre-seasons. BTW, before any smartass mentions it, I'm not calling for his sack. He's a great manager and we're lucky to have him. All I'm saying is he's been here long enough to have put some tactical work with the team so as not to suffer this many lost of points from winning positions.

First of all, Mignolet gave Newcastle the chance to come back into the game. After Mignolet flapped, at 2-1, Newcastle's gonna fight tooth and nail for their survival. We absolutely need to find a new keeper and I hope JK is working on that. What I put the blame on JK is that he doesn't seem to know how to play any way else. It's always attack attack attack for him. Our fullbacks have been playing like wing backs for a few months now. What is Moreno doing so far up when we have to be solid at the back. Once the full backs go up, our CB's also spaced out and any team could either counter-attack the flanks or down in the middle of the widely spaced CB's. It is so blatently obvious. What is JK doing about our vulnerability to counter attacks? His style produced the memorable come back win against BD, but it also produces results like this game and against Southampton. A tactical manager like Rafa could exploit JK's style with an inferior team most of the time.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:56 am

Newcastle got lucky with an opportunist punt that Mign messed up and a massive deflection. We certainly missed Origi's work rate and Coutinho. Sakho was also a big loss. Yes JK's tactics could be questioned. My major concern however is the loss of 19 points from winnining positions this season. That must be some kind of a record and it is not simply all down to the goalkeeper. For whatever reason the team becomes nervous and vulnerable when teams go after them.

Not sure why Allen was taken off when Firmino was having such a poor game?
Last edited by devaney on Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:57 am

maguskwt » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:12 am wrote:
red till i die!! » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:09 pm wrote:

Even though I give it to you that JK hasn't build his own team yet, I do think that SOME of the blame has to be on him. I can't give him a free pass time and time again. He's been here 6 months. And that's plenty of time. That's like two pre-seasons. BTW, before any smartass mentions it, I'm not calling for his sack. He's a great manager and we're lucky to have him. All I'm saying is he's been here long enough to have put some tactical work with the team so as not to suffer this many lost of points from winning positions.

First of all, Mignolet gave Newcastle the chance to come back into the game. After Mignolet flapped, at 2-1, Newcastle's gonna fight tooth and nail for their survival. We absolutely need to find a new keeper and I hope JK is working on that. What I put the blame on JK is that he doesn't seem to know how to play any way else. It's always attack attack attack for him. Our fullbacks have been playing like wing backs for a few months now. What is Moreno doing so far up when we have to be solid at the back. Once the full backs go up, our CB's also spaced out and any team could either counter-attack the flanks or down in the middle of the widely spaced CB's. It is so blatently obvious. What is JK doing about our vulnerability to counter attacks? His style produced the memorable come back win against BD, but it also produces results like this game and against Southampton. A tactical manager like Rafa could exploit JK's style with an inferior team most of the time.

Sorry mate it's pathetic...Klopp is squeezing the max out of this squad of misfits...Had one the biggest upset in years against Dortmund and we are playing some very good football and that's what you have to write?

Tactics are thrown out the door when your keeper has no sense for high balls and your players lose the ball in crucial areas...Sorry mate it's really nit picking.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:59 am

devaney » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:56 am wrote:Newcastle got lucky with an opportunist punt that Mign messed up and a massive deflection. We certainly missed Origi's work rate and Coutinho. Sakho was also a big loss. Yes JK's tactics could be questioned. My major concern however is the loss of 19 points from winnining positions this season. That must be some kind of a record and it is not simply all down to the goalkeeper. For whatever reason the team becomes nervous and vulnerable when teams go after them.

Actually it means the team isn't good enough....Keeper and defense aren't as good so holding the fort is pretty impossible...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:15 am

Frustrating to lose the 2 points yesterday but Newcastle are fighting for their lives and frankly we have nothing to play for in the league and probably have one eye on Villareal.  Not a complete surprise we took our foot off the gas. Let's not forget we started with the likes of Randall, Toure and Stewart who haven't played too much lately.

We've lost (or rested) key players down the spine of our team for that game too. Sakho, Can, Henderson, Coutinho and Origi would all have started that if available and if we needed to win it.

Some of the whinging posts in this thread are a bit over the top.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:01 pm

4 games in 10 days and big games possibly caught up but we have to manage it at 2 up and just see it through.

League is alomst irrelevant now but Sturridge form is a big plus and we need him at it to win that Europa.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:31 pm

Its amazing how a posters loathing for a particular player can even see him magically materialise as a 'starter' on a pitch he never stepped on until the fucking 72nd min  :D

As for the game I thought Lucas shored up our midfield when he was eventually introduced ,and reduced any chance they had of finding the winner ,Ojo looks like a real talent , his close control is exceptional and he gave Newcastle problems in the limited time he had.

Benitez is a master at changing games especially in the second half and he targeted how defensively weak our FB's are when they're pressed ,Wijnaldum was  perfect for doing precisely this ,after they had scored their first goal Rafa even switched him to play more centrally in behind the strikers.

Klopp knew the impetus had suddenly switched so he threw Milner in at Fb  to stop our flank  being so easily exposed ,and Lucas to shield the back four ,and it so nearly worked with Ojo and Sturridge linking up well in forging a few opportunities to snatch a winner.

I thought young Stewart play was tidy enough ,but alongside the erratic Allen it became more and more disjointed and the lack of any understanding resulted in our conceding the second goal after Sturridge lost the ball running in on goal and they practically passed the ball straight through our middle.

Yesterday showed us just why having a DM who can disrupt an opponents attack is vital to establish any form of midfield control over a game.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:44 am

We played quite well to be honest.. We created some good chances and took the two goals really well. We should have had a penalty and Allen should have buried that 5 yard header. Then we go and conceed two "Sunday league" like goals!! Why do we keep giving away cheap horrible goals? The defence and keeper needs switching up massively next year because between them they have been terrible this year and cost us ALOT of points.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games