Where do we still need to strengthan?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:38 pm

leeroy74 » Jul 6th, '15, 10:29 wrote:
Kash_Mountain » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:40 pm wrote:LFC definitely need a top quality GK. This was one of key position that needed strengthening last season, BR chose not to do anything about it, and still hasn't. Shocking really!

You mean instead of Mignolet, who came joint second in the goalkeeper stats most clean sheets? yeah, cracking idea ha ha ha

edit: altered cos I was looking at old info.

Well, if you think Migs is a top keeper, that's up to you.  Stats  don't really mean much. Imo, he is not a top keeper,  and is not that reliable either

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:23 pm

but he kept I think it was 13 clean sheets. Surely that means he's decent enough? he's hardly a bag of w@nk is he?
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:36 pm

Kash_Mountain » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:40 pm wrote:LFC definitely need a top quality GK. This was one of key position that needed strengthening last season, BR chose not to do anything about it, and still hasn't. Shocking really!

Geez... can you at least try to post something without faulting the manager?
" its Br's fault"
" BR chose not to do anything"
"Its all on BR"

Your brainwashing is so blatant... if i became a ruler of a communist country, ill chose you as my propaganda chief ok?

Back to the topic, i think right now we need a goal scorer more than anything. Next would be a CM to replace Gerrard. Im still not very satisfied with our transfers because we are not strenghtening tye spine yet...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:53 pm

CM is top priority imo.

I understand people calling for a CF but I think our weakest area atm is CM.

Upfront, we have Sturridge (when fit) and I still think Firmino is likely to feature as a second striker rather than his usual attacking midfield role. It's a big question mark I agree but we also have Origi/Ings who are bound to get minutes and Balotelli/Lambert/Borini who are still on the books.

In midfield, we realistically need 1 central midfielder (preferably a holding midfielder who sits and can be paired with Henderson) but could probably do with 2. Absolutely vital that they are top quality players though and no more arkovic, Milner, Ings quality signings who will struggle to improve the starting 11.

I know that there is a lot of excitement about our signings but when I look at the top4 sides and what they have done/are doing or who they have, I struggle to see how how signing the players we have will help us bridge the gap.

Arsenal went out and addressed their main problem area by adding one of the top 4 goalkeepers in the league. Linked with: Vidal, Pedro, Higuain, Benzema, Lacazette
Utd signed Depay who imo is a better prospect than Firmino and seem to be set to spend big on new players. Linked with: Ramos, schweinsteiger, Harry Kane
And let's not even mention City and Chelsea.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:06 pm

We are still missing all the chains in the backbone of a team ,a Quality CB (One Sakho not enough) ,One DM (Lucas is a sub at best) ,One Attacker (Sturridge is made of glass). Each of those spots need to be filled and what we got so far are talented support cast.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:14 pm

only me » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:06 pm wrote:We are still missing all the chains in the backbone of a team ,a Quality CB (One Sakho not enough) ,One DM (Lucas is a sub at best) ,One Attacker (Sturridge is made of glass). Each of those spots need to be filled and what we got so far are talented support cast.

Agree with that. I still think we need a new 'keeper too. Someone who could stake a claim to start games.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:02 pm

I think our business is nearly done, I think we'll buy a CF and that will be it.
Although I'd prefer us to stick with the 3 at the back (so we can get the likes of Can and Ibe into the team) I think we'll start the season like this -

Mingolet

Clyne               Skrtel.          Sakho.           Moreno

Milner.       Henderson

Lallana        Coutinho.         Firmino

Benteke

With the likes of Sturridge, Ibe, Markovic, Ilorri etc ready to come in and claim a place in the starting XI I don't think that's the worst side we've ever had, obviously it would have looked better with a pair of top quality CM's but to be fair to Henderson and Milner they will at least put a shift in and should offer the defence more protection than they got last year.
I think a lot depends on Coutinho and Firmino, if they click then top 4 is a realistic proposition, if they don't then I think we'll struggle.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:45 pm

Think we could do with improvements in most areas tbh but so far have managed to improve one or 2. We have again opted for a lot of potential though which is the concerning bit.

Dissapointed we didn't get a better keeper than bogdan as he isn't an upgrade on brad jones.

Clyne is a great addition and certainly an improvement on johnson.

Would love to see a quality CH come in but I can understand us going with what we have. Skrtel signed a new deal while sakho and lovren have a lot to prove next year.

Considering we didn't go with the last one I think a DM should have been a priority. Would have liked to see that kovacic lad here but I doubt we will. Even if lucas goes we won't sign someone of that quality. Milner is a useful addition but by the media reports he doesn't want to play there.

AM is pretty stacked atm. Even with sterling gone it leaves origi, ibe, markovic, coutinho, firmino, lallana and milner if he gets his way  :D .

We need a striker and its probably the last signing I can see us making. Think andy carroll was never worth 35 and benteke is certainly not worth 32. I'm not even sure how he fits in to the type of football we are going to play and for that money we could get better suited for less.
This one could also drag out as I'd imagine 2 or 3 will have to go to make way namely borini, lambert and balotelli.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Buck Rodgers » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:39 pm

We need someone to put the ball in the net regualry and someone to protect the back 4
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby eds » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:52 am

Yep goal scoring CF is definately our top priority.

That being said I won't be surprised when we blew most of the Sterling money on Benteke.  :no

I am also expecting us to struggle moving on Balotelli, Borini and Lambert.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Reg » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:41 am

+1.

Benteke is not the answer, why are we paying twice what he's worth?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Buck Rodgers » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:08 am

Because sometimes to get the player you want you need to spend more than what you believe he is worth
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:33 am

Is Benteke not the answer when the questions are...     

1. Want a striker who is proven at putting the goal in the back of the net?
2. Do you need goals?

He answers both those questions.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:04 am

leeroy74 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:33 am wrote:Is Benteke not the answer when the questions are...     

1. Want a striker who is proven at putting the goal in the back of the net?
2. Do you need goals?

He answers both those questions.

Hmmm this description fits so many strikers...Question is if we need his type of player if he fits our attacking scheme is he worth the money ,my answer is no on all accounts.
Picking Benteke is another lazy decision which looks for quick answer based on last year performance and close to home. We need some more serious professional scouting system.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:09 pm

I can understand the doubts people have about wether Benteke would be a natural fit for us but I think he's a lot more mobile than we give him credit for, he's no Carroll or Lambert, for a big lad he can really shift.
But more importantly I think any side playing in England needs to have the ability to score goals from crosses and percentage balls into the box, Chelsea have always been big believers in having a target man, City have had Dzeko (and now Bony), United got top 4 off the back of Fellaini and even Arsenal have got Giroud.
Those teams are not ale house sides but they all realise that it's just not realistic to be able to play exhibition football week in week out for 9 months of the year. This league is physical and its a slog, the bottom teams don't just roll over and when the occasion demands you have to be able to roll your sleeves up, meet fire with fire and eek out results by scoring scruffy goals, if you don't have that ability then you end up looking like us at the end of last season.
If we rely solely on scoring perfect picture book goals then we'll be lucky to score 1 a week, we need someone who will spent most of the match in the opposition box and who will fight tooth and nail to get on the end of things.
If Coutinho and Firmino click and we start playing like Barcelona then great, Sturridge will dovetail perfectly with them, but let's be realistic, this is England not Spain, strength, power and pace go a long way here, you only have to look at Chelsea and City over the last few years to see that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion