LIVERPOOL v QPR

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Basil » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:21 am

Fair comment about the squad but could I add that Lucas has been a big loss and the old squad needed a major overhaul after a few years of underinvestment.

We needed to ship out some rubbish players and some players who who weren't worth their high wages. The first window under FSG we basically swapped Torres/Babel for Suarez/Carroll which perhaps cost us a couple of million but must have halved the wage bill for those two players.

Last summer we managed to ship out the players we didn't want and bring in a few players with premiership experience, probably spent 30 odd million but further reduced the wage bill. We were still short in a few areas but it wasn't a bad start.

The problems started when Gerrard and Lucas got injured, the Suarez affair and then we didn't add a couple of key players in the January window when we could all see what was needed. Why was this ? Was it because Kenny/Comolli decided not to buy or was there no money available ?

It's easy to blame the manager and individual players when we are all so dissappointed but if we can add 2 or 3 quality players to this squad we would see a massive improvement in the players we already have. Some of the players might not work out but look at the money the mancs have spent on players that haven't made it, berbatov cost 32 million and they're looking to offload him for peanuts and he's not the first.
Basil

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:31 am

All I'm saying benny is I will keep watch out for the results but I'm not losing anymore money taking an evening off work to sit and watch the game either at Anfield or on a dodgy stream like last night. I lost £100 last night because I was supposed to be working in a recording studio but I wanted to watch the game.

Saturdays are the same, I've rearranged alsorts of plans so I can listen on five live to the match or go to Anfield. But not anymore this season.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:35 am

Roger Red Hat wrote:All I'm saying benny is I will keep watch out for the results but I'm not losing anymore money taking an evening off work to sit and watch the game either at Anfield or on a dodgy stream like last night. I lost £100 last night because I was supposed to be working in a recording studio but I wanted to watch the game.

Saturdays are the same, I've rearranged alsorts of plans so I can listen on five live to the match or go to Anfield. But not anymore this season.

Ok that is fair enough.

The scarey thing is im half expectating certain " fans" to move to another club
Benny The Noon

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 am

no mate, I'll always be a red. I just feel I'm wasting my efforts this season when the players don't seem to be putting any in.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:29 pm

andy_g wrote:i think there is 3 things going on;

one is that we are really not all that good. we have decent quality (but not exceptional) in one or two areas but that's about it. to be a bit tough on them; suarez is a magician around the box but a shocking finisher, gerrard is past his best, reina is not the keeper he used to be, carra is over the hill, the flanks are the least creative in the league.

two is that we have signed some very mediocre players for way too much money. adam, downing and maybe even henderson are nowhere near the quality we have had in the past and nowhere near what we should be getting if we want to be anything other than an upper mid-table team.

three is slightly more generous and is tiredness. we've been playing a lot of games recently and collapsing in the last 15 mins of a game is a classic sign of fatigue. what's more worrying is that we have some serious fixture congestion coming up and we don't have any kind of strength in depth to keep players fresh.

now and again we can drag ourselves up to a good performance as we saw in the derby, but sadly all that does is make us believe that everything is ok. time is not really going to make it much better, and as much as i love kenny i really don't think his management skills are as good as we would like them to be and try and believe them to be. the cup runs are great, of course - but lets remember we struggled against championship opposition in the carling cup final and won on the lottery of penalties.

You shouldn't start match threads, serious.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby algymoon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:02 pm

alwayslfc wrote:THe problem with Kenny was he made sh.it signings last summer and is now paying for it and he could be the next manager to go after AVB, either he quit or sacked. I just don't know why he went mostly British when there were better and cheaper talents in Europe, Africa and S.America. Look at who Newcastle bought to replace Carroll and he's scoring for fun. He and Commolli could have got him instead of Carroll. Ten years away from management I think have limited his scope to the British Isles only and what we're seeing now is the outcome.

Because of what he had accomplished both as a player and first spell as manager here, I still want him to be in charge for another 12 months. If we're still a mid table club this time next year, Henry should give him the sack or ask him to resign. I hate to see this legend of ours being continously bashed by fans and media.

I do partially agree with you, but Kenny most not take all the blame, mistakes were made I agree in regrading to signings, but the players must take the full blame, their attitudes and efforts do not matter how average that they might be, but their efforts must be questioned, apart from young Spearing, the rest of the player were effortless, they all wanted to be Suarez, too much fancy football forgetting the basic professional football  on how to kill the game off, and not giving the opposition any chance of any come back. QPR come back is the best of the season with 13 minutes left scored three badly defended goals, it is an embarrassment. Enrique was asleep and as always when to come to defending.
Kenny ought to turn to youth players a give them a run in first team, and drop the effortless first team players.
algymoon

Postby andy_g » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Kenny Kan wrote:You shouldn't start match threads, serious.

yeah.... think you've hit the nail on the head there.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am

algymoon wrote:
alwayslfc wrote:THe problem with Kenny was he made sh.it signings last summer and is now paying for it and he could be the next manager to go after AVB, either he quit or sacked. I just don't know why he went mostly British when there were better and cheaper talents in Europe, Africa and S.America. Look at who Newcastle bought to replace Carroll and he's scoring for fun. He and Commolli could have got him instead of Carroll. Ten years away from management I think have limited his scope to the British Isles only and what we're seeing now is the outcome.

Because of what he had accomplished both as a player and first spell as manager here, I still want him to be in charge for another 12 months. If we're still a mid table club this time next year, Henry should give him the sack or ask him to resign. I hate to see this legend of ours being continously bashed by fans and media.

I do partially agree with you, but Kenny most not take all the blame, mistakes were made I agree in regrading to signings, but the players must take the full blame, their attitudes and efforts do not matter how average that they might be, but their efforts must be questioned, apart from young Spearing, the rest of the player were effortless, they all wanted to be Suarez, too much fancy football forgetting the basic professional football  on how to kill the game off, and not giving the opposition any chance of any come back. QPR come back is the best of the season with 13 minutes left scored three badly defended goals, it is an embarrassment. Enrique was asleep and as always when to come to defending.
Kenny ought to turn to youth players a give them a run in first team, and drop the effortless first team players.

The main problem IMHO is that Dalglish and Clark are simply not getting the best out of what they have got. Some of the tactics and utilisation of players has been extremely questionable. Persisting with Henderson for so long on the right wing where he has been very  poor is lamentable. Downing has started the majority of matches and I simply cannot understand why given that he has been atrocious.You could hardly regard Downing as an inexperienced improving player. Maxi and Kuyt have been sidelined for most of the season.Bellamy has to be used sparingly but is ineffective as a sub which we keep on using him for.As for Adam I'm slightly lost for words!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby spiceboys2014 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:41 am

Benny The Noon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:52 pm wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:how much time benny...

How long is a piece of string

That is the most confused and over general and vague statement that I have ever heard in my life.!!!!
spiceboys2014
LFC Basic Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games