Favourite music genre - Condensed forms (obviously)

Please post your Non football related Polls in this forum

Favourite music genre - Condensed forms (obviously)

1. Hard Rock/Metal
22%
2. Rock 'n' Roll
16%
3. Pop/Disco
7%
4. Electronica/New wave
7%
5. Ethnic/Reggae/World
6%
6. Easy Listening
4%
7. Classical/Operatic/Musical
3%
8. Indie/punk
19%
9. Jazz/Traditional
1%
10. R 'n' B/ Soul/Rap/Motown/Funk
13%

Total votes : 68

Postby dward » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:31 am

Indie for me. Love it.

Arctic Monkeys are my favourite. Been to see them live, they were amazing.
Last edited by dward on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:53 am

I pretty much love The Killers, Oasis, Beatles etc... but yesterday I spent around five hours painting my house.  Missed the friendly and everything, couldn't be arsed with another glorified training session, and I usually like the little annual trip to Wrexham if you know what I mean.  These games are just starting to do my head in now though.

Yesterday I had my iPod and speakers on blasting the tunes out.  What did I listen to?

Coldplay's new album (suggest you don't listen to it when there are razors nearby), The Carpenters Ultimate Collection followed by Billy Joels Greatest Hits then James Morrison's first album. 

Don't even ask.

"Coffee Table Wank" as my boss so eloquently describes the genre...

Different songs for different moods I suppose.

On another note, U2, Oasis and The Killers all got albums due out this year.
jonnymac1979

Postby John Kegs » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:23 pm

matrix wrote:
John Kegs wrote:Metal.... waiting for Metallicas new album especially, best band ever created, first 4 albums are perfect and unbeatable

hey kegs...

i agree with you without metallica  metal would more than likely be dead...

i thought there first 5 albums were good,  st anger saw them come back to form,  there best outing since justice...

getting back to slipknot  i honestly think there the best metal band since metallica...    :;):

I like their new single psychosocial, pretty catchy and heavy, looking forward to that album, never been a huge fan of them though although i do like quite a few songs, not exactly my style, more into my old thrash metal, heavy metal

No one can touch metallica, slayer and pantera IMO

Love the classics like black sabbath, iron maiden, motorhead, deep purple, megadeth, AC/DC etc.

I like my death metal with the likes of arch enemy, in flames too

Most modern bands are pretty shyte for me, all emo stuff now, or just a jumble of noise
John Kegs

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:54 pm

i used to like kitty, good bird band with a metal edge?

apart from that im sorta geekrock i guess weezer, pavement, pixies, we are scientists... then im loving the wombats and MGMT at the moment
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dward » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:06 am

dawson99 wrote:i used to like kitty, good bird band with a metal edge?

apart from that im sorta geekrock i guess weezer, pavement, pixies, we are scientists... then im loving the wombats and MGMT at the moment

I really like The Wombats too. Going to see them in November.
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:46 pm

John Kegs wrote:Metal.... waiting for Metallicas new album especially, best band ever created, first 4 albums are perfect and unbeatable

John, when is their new album coming out?

They have been my favorite band since I was 13 or 14 years old.

I just love them.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby John Kegs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Mid september mate, its called Death Magnetic, been waiting 5 years for this, they're supposed to be going back to their old style from the first few albums so I've got big expectations

They have made some amazing pieces of music, master composers
John Kegs

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:05 pm

John Kegs wrote:they're supposed to be going back to their old style from the first few albums

I'll be intrigued to see if they pull that off.  I won't hold my breath, though.  Bands that have been playing for as long as they have find it notoriously hard to recreate their early success.  When top bands first burst onto the scene their music is fresh, original and more than a little raw.  Over time, it's hard to avoid losing some of that freshness and originality: you have a sound and, once it's no longer new, it lacks some of the punch it once had.  So, many bands try to reinvent themselves and end up p.issing some of their fans off in the process (a la Radiohead), while others just keep churning out the same sort of material and turn into something resembling their own tribute band (a la Red Hot Chili Peppers).  Plus, as bands grow more successful most lose some of (or quite a bit of) that edge that made them so appealing in the first place and the music suffers.  Take a band like U2 for instance.  Their early stuff was brilliant but, IMO, they haven't put out an album worth lingering over for well over a decade.  Metallica, for me, started to become victims of their own success with the 'black album' and--save for a few good songs here or there--haven't produced too much of note ever since.  If they can somehow turn back the clock and reproduce the mind-bending genius of their early stuff, I'll be very, very impressed.  As I say, though, I won't be holding my breath.
Last edited by Bad Bob on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:42 pm

I listen to almost anything except punk, rap, hip hop, Drum and Bass, and some strange types of metal.

If I had to choose I'd say rock music, anything from the '60s and 70's.

TBH though, I don't think about genres before I listen. If I like it, I listen to it, whether it's rock 'n' roll, Bossa Nova, or a pipe band. Nothing like a pipe band btw  :D
LFC2007

Postby metalhead » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:03 pm

John Kegs wrote:Mid september mate, its called Death Magnetic, been waiting 5 years for this, they're supposed to be going back to their old style from the first few albums so I've got big expectations

They have made some amazing pieces of music, master composers

I really hope so, st.anger was a big dissapointed!

I disagree badbob, I think after the black album they produced the likes of load and reload which were fantastic albums. Their live S&M album was a good mixture of orchestra and old songs, they went downhill with st.anger! it was just awful! the only decent song in it was frantic.

if Metallica can produce songs the likes of Enter Sandman, In Memory Remains, Low man's lyrics, Nothing else matters, etc... in their next album then it would be awesome  :bowdown
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby John Kegs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:40 pm

Ah we see a difference in musical taste there  :D  IMO they went downhill after the black album when they started producing that hard rock stuff, there was about 3 good songs on both load and reload for me, and i didnt even like them very much because its not my style

St anger was a return to the old style but the songs were not good, didnt like that album, they went for a raw style, like a band practicing in their garage or something but it wasnt great for me

First 4 albums were incredible, theres not one song i dont find fantastic

Songs like one, fade to black, orion, to live is to die, master of puppets are some of the best but i could go on and on

As a thrash band they were the best in the world

And yeah  i agree with most of what badbob has said really, i live in hope that they can still do it though

metalhead if your looking for more stuff like lowmans lyrics and the memory remains you're going to be out of luck (thank god)  :D
John Kegs

Postby hello_red » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:39 am

Metallica are a class act! Saw them a few years ago at that secret set they did at download (first and last time i went to that) and they where superb!

More into my extreme/industrial metal though. Bands like Strapping Young Lad and also Ministry do it for me. Just pure musical intensity, killing joke are another of my faves.

But I am a fan of most musics.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:44 am

I didn't hate Load but didn't love it, Metalhead.  Everything after that I've got no time for.  I'm with JK...vintage Metallica all the way.  I'm talking songs like Seek and Destroy, Am I Evil?, Creeping Death, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Master of Puppets, Blackened, One, Harvester of Sorrow...all absolutely mind-blowing stuff and really just the tip of the iceberg as far as quality songs go from their back catalogue.

I actually quite like the Black Album but I could sense a shift happening at the time it came out.  AJFA was like a full-on metal opera whereas that album was much more mainstream--not necessarily a bad thing but the sign of a change in emphasis.  That said, tracks like Sad But True and especially Don't Tread on Me still rocked hard--and they had their counterpoints with the more melodic but still excellent Nothing Else Matters, The Unforgiven and My Friend of Misery.

I was excited when Load came out because it had been five years since they put out a new album but as soon as I saw Hetfield's haircut and heard Until It Sleeps, I knew things had changed for good.  That said, Bleeding Me is still one of my favourite Metallica songs of all time! :buttrock

(BTW, as a crossover to the gym thread, there's no better workout music than Metallica if you really want to attack the weights and the cardio machines :D )
Last edited by Bad Bob on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:52 am

hello_red wrote:Metallica are a class act! Saw them a few years ago at that secret set they did at download (first and last time i went to that) and they where superb!

More into my extreme/industrial metal though. Bands like Strapping Young Lad and also Ministry do it for me. Just pure musical intensity, killing joke are another of my faves.

But I am a fan of most musics.

I saw Metallica live at an all-day music festival back in 1993 or 94 (Danzig and Suicidal Tendencies were among the opening acts  :cool:  ).  Absolutely amazing band to experience live but I've never been so scared in my life at a show.  There we were standing around just chilling after a day of hot sun and heavy metal, waiting for Metallica to take the stage as night fell.  After a bit we start to see movement on the dark stage, as the lads take their places.  Suddenly, the opening riff to "Sad But True" kicks in, the crowd goes bezerk and me and my mates were steamrolled forward a good 50 feet as the crowd rushed to the stage.  We managed to stay on our feet but found ourselves in the midst of the angriest, nastiest mosh pit I've ever seen.  It was brutal in there and we knew our only hope was to keep bouncing off people and making for the edges cos if we went down, we were getting a kicking.  It felt like an eternity in there but it really took us a few verses to get back to safer ground and enjoy the rest of the show which was, hands down, the best show I've been to ever.  :buttrock
Last edited by Bad Bob on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby matrix » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:41 am

Bad Bob wrote:
John Kegs wrote:they're supposed to be going back to their old style from the first few albums

I'll be intrigued to see if they pull that off.  I won't hold my breath, though.  Bands that have been playing for as long as they have find it notoriously hard to recreate their early success.  When top bands first burst onto the scene their music is fresh, original and more than a little raw.  Over time, it's hard to avoid losing some of that freshness and originality: you have a sound and, once it's no longer new, it lacks some of the punch it once had.  So, many bands try to reinvent themselves and end up p.issing some of their fans off in the process (a la Radiohead), while others just keep churning out the same sort of material and turn into something resembling their own tribute band (a la Red Hot Chili Peppers).  Plus, as bands grow more successful most lose some of (or quite a bit of) that edge that made them so appealing in the first place and the music suffers.  Take a band like U2 for instance.  Their early stuff was brilliant but, IMO, they haven't put out an album worth lingering over for well over a decade.  Metallica, for me, started to become victims of their own success with the 'black album' and--save for a few good songs here or there--haven't produced too much of note ever since.  If they can somehow turn back the clock and reproduce the mind-bending genius of their early stuff, I'll be very, very impressed.  As I say, though, I won't be holding my breath.

good post bob...

i will never forget the first time i heard MASTER OF PUPPETS..

the album was sheer bliss...

it was said at the time it was the heavy metal's   dream album...

as for metallica's   next album being verry heavy,  i hope so,  lars said lately in a interview the new stuff will be fast...   :cool:     :;):      lets hope...    :buttrock

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Non Football Related Polls