Worst players liverpool have brought in the past 6 - Worst players

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:07 am

Has Harkness retired now or is he in non league football?

There was a lot of hype around him when Daglish signed him, although my enduring memory is of him played hopelessly out of position at centre half.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:22 am

Mikz wrote:Yeah he signed Kozma ,Picnic and Paul stewart. They were a disaster. He also signed Nigel Clough who really at that time looked a Liverpool player and should have been a success butjust didnt happen :(  And adding So called steel to the defence with Dicks and Ruddock....killed us.

Clough had his moments, remember him scoring 2 at Anfield against the sh*te? Think it was around '95 and we were 0-3 down at half time, then Cloughie got 2 and Ruddock headed in the equalizer to lift the roof off Anfield. He was excllent that day
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:29 am

Was it late 1993?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:00 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Was it late 1993?

Not sure JBG, I think I was living in Bury at the time which would've made it 94 at least but the ol' grog has taken it's toll on my memory since then so you might be right  :)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:58 am

Souness left early 1994, wasn't it?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:08 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Souness left early 1994, wasn't it?

Really can't remember but what a cracking game that was :cool:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:26 pm

It was a great game alright. Ruddock's goal was a great effort. It was one of the few good memories from the Souness regime, and even then we only got a point.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby taff » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:54 pm

I was there for that game in the Kop
It was Jan 94 if I remember correctly
Ruddock equalised with a header at the away end and the place went ballistic  :)
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:16 pm

I liked "Razor" never technically the best (talk about understatement  ) but compared to Dicks  :p  and PAUL STEWART  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  Razor was a footballin' genius . :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:03 pm

Loved it when Razor marched up to Cantona and turned his collar down for him   :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:40 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I liked "Razor" never technically the best (talk about understatement  ) but compared to Dicks  :p  and PAUL STEWART  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  Razor was a footballin' genius . :D

I was actually a season ticket holder during Dicks' stay with us and to be honest I rated him as a skillful player and defensively sound but and its a huge but he wasnt fit and was carrying an injury so was off the pace but his control and passing and shooting I thought were great.

Razor the same but fitter ironically which was a sad indictment on the club at the time, some crazy rumours regarding Boersma et all and the antics at Melwood.

My main thought during the 3-3 game with Man Utd was we could football them off the park no problem but they were faster and fitter and more determined than we were, JBG speaks wise when he says that Souness did take us into a spiral

He resigned when Bristol (city/rovers cant remember) knocked us out of the FA Cup 3rd round a few weeks later
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:52 pm

I agree taff, that Razor was technically accomplished. He was an excellent passer of the ball over distance with his left foot.

However, while at Liverpool he put on a lot of weight which he never quite managed to shed. He became slow and was turned easily.

I remember Ruddock was a bit of a prodigy while at Spurs. People spoke about him as being like Tony Adams but with a far better range of touch and skill.

The funny thing is, a lot of players Souness bought were very highly rated at their former clubs yet all seemed to self destruct when they joined us.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:00 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:The funny thing is, a lot of players Souness bought were very highly rated at their former clubs yet all seemed to self destruct when they joined us.

dean saunders was a prime example of this i think. the guy had an unbelievable run in europe in 1991/92 by scoring 10 goals in about 6 games. however he never reproduced this is the league and was sold to villa the season later. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:04 pm

I thought Dicks was technically gifted but it later transpired he was carrying a reasonably serious knee injury  ???

Souness had the best interests of the club Im convinced of it but he tried to shake it up too quickly and it did become badly run behind the scenes as well. He was let down by some of his staff.

Paul Stewart again not fit or fast enough
Mark walters well he came on once and I heard the Kop groan, is there anything worse, not even booed just a groan

The sad fact is that the gifted players got old and slowere while the younger fitter players were not technically up to the job and Souness just contributed to these differences rather than try to bridge or close those gaps with better signings
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:32 pm

Personally I never saw any quality in Julain Dicks , he seemed more intent on hacking people down than anything else ,Paul Stewart was a f,cking embarrasment his signing was a clear signal that LFC had lost the plot.
I heard that Souness had loads of bust ups with senior players in the squad .Not always easy to "boss" people who had once been your mates.
Ah well , all water under the bridge now.
:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge