Worst players liverpool have brought in the past 6 - Worst players

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby azriahmad » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:23 am

Houllier was supposed to be a very highly rated technical coach after his successes in setting up the Clairfontaine academy for the French FA and was largely credited for his background/foundation work which set the stepping stone for France winning the 1998 World Cup.

However, it has been proven that he is horrible at man management and to some extent, tactics, as he publically lambasted David Ginola for the French defeat a the 1994 World Cup play-off against Bulgaria where France conceded 2 very late goals. Still, after this public debacle, Moores still hired him and stuck by him when Liverpool's game deteriorated into a long ball punt upfield ala Wimbledon in the 80s.

His player purchases and judgement is appaling at best yet he was the best supported Liverpool manager in terms of transfer financing by Moores. Liverpool have bought very bad players, especially by Houllier but Moores was the culprit because of his blind loyalty and willingness to finance the purchases of nobodys at ridiculous prices until Liverpool had a large squad of dodgy foreignerw who Houllier himself dare not put in the starting line up!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:53 pm

The worst signings of all were Graeme Souness' early signings which categorically backfired and left us in the position we are in today.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:59 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:The worst signings of all were Graeme Souness' early signings which categorically backfired and left us in the position we are in today.

Paul Stewart :(  Jesus he was sh*te (and expensive as well if my memory serves me correctly)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:05 pm

Yeah he signed Kozma ,Picnic and Paul stewart. They were a disaster. He also signed Nigel Clough who really at that time looked a Liverpool player and should have been a success butjust didnt happen :(  And adding So called steel to the defence with Dicks and Ruddock....killed us.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:19 pm

I agree Mikz. Clough was potentially a "real" LIverpool player who might have really had made it big had he been signed a couple of years earlier in the Daglish era. He could certainly pass a ball that lad, although was a small bit lightweight and was very injury prone.

People are right to say that Diouff, Diao and Cheyrou were the worst signings in recent times (in that we blew our entire transfer budget on flops at a time when we had the opportunity to go to the next level) but without a doubt, Graeme Souness' transfer dealings were a disaster for the club, as it sent us into a tailspin that we still have yet to recover from.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:28 pm

nearly every one of souness' buys were a disaster. stewart, speedie, piechnick, saunders, thomas to name but a dew. the only major success was jamie  redknapp.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:30 pm

Hahaaa!

Do I spot a chink in the great St.Mick's armour?!!!

Redknapp was a Daglish signing.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:35 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Hahaaa!

Do I spot a chink in the great St.Mick's armour?!!!

Redknapp was a Daglish signing.  :D

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

sorry klink, i stand corrected. redknapp was dalglish's last major signing before resigning if i'm not mistaken.

i should never have drunk that bottle of wine. :D
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:39 pm

Steve Harkness....Don Hutchinson....were they before or after Redknapp?

I remember Shoot magazine describing Harkness as a "boy wonder" and Daglish described Hutchinson as "the new Gascoigne" (although he was right in some ways  :D ).
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:42 pm

hutchinson was definitely before redknapp. i think we paid hartlepool something like £300,000 for him at the time. hutch was actually a rare commodity in that he scored a fair share of goals from midfield.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:45 pm

And liked wearing nothing other than a wet beer mat on a lads' night out.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:46 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:And liked wearing nothing other than a wet beer mat on a lads' night out.  :D

:oh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Mikz » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:48 pm

Speedie was Dalglish as well st mike. But it was at the very end when i think he was losing it. I rem it shocked so many fans at that time.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:51 pm

Mikz wrote:Speedie was Dalglish as well st mike. But it was at the very end when i think he was losing it. I rem it shocked so many fans at that time.

Yes, thats right Mikz.

All the same, did Speedie not score a few goals for us?

Poor Steve had a tough time after retiring from football. I heard he became an alcoholic and lost everything.  :(
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:05 am

My cousin played 5-a-side with Harkness a couple of months back at Pitz on Scotty Road.
jonnymac1979

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge