What makes a legend? - Serious q

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:58 pm

Was just wodnering. Is hypia a liverpool legend? What would he have to do to becoem a legend? Win the FA and carling cup? hes done that, champs league? hes done that too.

what about stevie g and  jamie C, how long before they are considered legends? Cant be yet surely, they are too young to be legends.

Would hamman get legend status for what hes done for the club? And if not then McCallister can never be a legend as he was not with us for long enough.

Would dudek be a legend for his champs league final heroics?

I just think we use the word legend too lightly sometimes, and wondered what everyone elses view on this was.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:52 pm

I think you need to be at the club for a long time.
Win and help win plenty while you are there.
Build up a really good atmosphere with the fans.
Be a good representative for the club on and off the pitch.
Have some kind of iconic status with the fans and the club.

And last I think you have to be finished playing football, its very hard to be known as a legend when you are still playing. e.g. Shearer will eventually have a statue outside St. James' or a stand named after him but it wont be this season when he is still out on the pitch
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:30 pm

leg end you say .mmmmmmmm  i would think out of wood with a nice dovetail joint.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:02 am

We have had our fair share of "legends" at Anfield.

Going back to when Phil was a lad there was Billy Liddel for a start :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:12 am

nah mate cally (ian callaghan) and Tommy Smith for me
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:22 am

I think we are approx the same age Phil but for me growing up watching LFC there can only be one true legend and his name is Kenny Dalglish:p

More recently I'd go for Jamie Carragher who has rapidly attained legendary status.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:36 am

A legend should be one who contributes a lot to the team, consistently, with most of the time being telling/crucial contributions. We tend to remember or glorify more who are multiple winners with the club such as Kenny Dalglish but we should also spare some thought for the ones who happen to be at the club at the wrong time where the team is not-so-great but his heroics and contributions gets results for his team at that moment in time. Don't forget that there are 11 in the team playing the game, and not one or two alone, so if the team is relatively poor, it is beyond the one or two outstanding individuals' efforts to be championship or other honours winners.

To me, apart from the obvious multiple winners of honours with Liverpool - Keegan, Dalglish, Hansen, Rush, Souness, Clemence, Smith, Hughes etc., - others who are outstanding in both ability and contributions but were unfortunate to be playing in a team which had declined can also be considered as legends.

Robbie Fowler is definitely one, just look at his goalscoring record for us. Hyppia will be a legend when he retires. Carra, Gerrard and Alonso are on their way to being legendary in time.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:34 pm

Dalglish wrote:I think we are approx the same age Phil but for me growing up watching LFC there can only be one true legend and his name is Kenny Dalglish:p

More recently I'd go for Jamie Carragher who has rapidly attained legendary status.

your right Ian ...kenny will always be my number one.The first time i saw the reds at Anfield .....cally,smith,hughes,toshack,keegan made up the team in 74...i was 7 at the time.
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:46 pm

Id say you become a legend when you know that a certain player would do anything for the badge on that shirt, Carra is a legend, whats the point in delaying the inevitable, why say no he wont be a legend till hes a bit older, why not? He will never leaves us, he loves us, he hates anything that is are rival, Look at him going mad on Saturday when Kewell scored, he would go through pain to stop us conceding a goal even if we was 5 nil up, and he would boll0ck the team for letting it happen, every liverpool fan and this planet loves the boy and he loves us all back equally.

Carra has earned legendary status as has Gerrard for captaining the reds to the european cup and captaining the team on what looks like some very bright times ahead.

The only blip with Gerrard was his commitment to Liverpool was questioned twice, with Carra its never in doubt, He doesnt have to kiss the badge, he doesnt have to say he loves the club and he doesnt have to it goes without saying.

But seeing Gerrard this season, the worlds best center midfielder, playing for the club he loves with more passion than ever, maybe what happened in the summer is whats taking this boy to the next level and on to levels which no center mid might not have reached before and might not reach again.

The most complete center mid in the world is a scouser playing for the club he loves from his home town, how good is that. Name another player as good doing that.

These 2 arnt to young to be considered legends for me. Commitment is a rareity in this day in age but these 2 have more than we could have ever hoped for.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:03 pm

Garymac, there is no blight for Gerrard, IMHO. A footballer's career span is very short and Gerrard may have had his head turned by his agent who would have smelled his vast commission if Gerrard had joined Chelsea on a huge transfer. Gerrard may have also thought that Chelsea would be his best bet for an EPL honour medal which he has yet to own at that time. The important thing is that he realised what Liverpool meant to him and stayed on.

Carra has all the hallmarks of a true Liverpool legend. Like Phil Thomson used to say in his column in an old Shoot! mag (which my brother still has in his collection), he'd walk through fire and water for Liverpool. This guy embodies the Liverpool ethics that Shanks started, and he'd be a superb captain if not for Gerrard.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:24 pm

I'm a firm believer that a player shouldn't be judged on legend status by what he has won for the club. If we hadn't of lifted the European Cup last year I still would of classed stevie gerrard as a legend, because legend status is more than honours. It should include playing passion and love for the team, a player who can change a game and be such an influence has to have legend status.

I believe recent players such as Jamie Carragher, Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler and obviously Steven Gerrard has all done enough to be classed as legends
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flipmode » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:31 pm

Players 100% commited
Always put club first on and off pitch
Either Win a lot or have the desire to win a lot
Head never drops
Confident
Has respect from fans and respects the fans

list could go on

Gerrard and Carragher are legends to me as both have all the above and they love the club 100%
ImageImageImageImage
flipmode
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:45 pm

Robbie Fowler anyone?  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:17 pm

I've been with LFC since the mid '50s ,I was only a nipper then (honest  :D  ) I'm not sure what makes a legend and in those very early days I probably didn't appreciate all that I was seeing .Looking back over the years however here are the players that have stuck in my mind as true red heroes/legends .

Roger Hunt
Ian Callaghan
Ian St John
Emlyn Hughes
Tommy Smith
Kevin Keegan
John Toshack
Kenny Dalglish
Ian Rush
John Barnes
Robbie Fowler

I'm sure that Gerrard and Carragher will join that list when I look back 10 years from now .

I should also give a mention to Micheal Owen,Ray Kennedy and Graham Souness ,maybe not legends in my mind but still some of the finest players in their position to pull on a red shirt .

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Effes » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:02 am

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, but on the flip-side, you could also say that Davey Fairclough was a legend.
He wasn't a "great", but for the things he did you could say he is a LFC legend. Obviously that game agaisnt St. Ettiene puts him in the category.

So, going back to the original thread, what makes a legend. I think it is a player who is remembered fondly after his playing days.
Joey Jones was a legend too, not for being a great player but just because he is remembered fondly.
Maybe that's stretching the legend label.
The dictionary states that it is someone famous AND admired; so that's why Joey Jones and Supersub make it IMO.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge