What makes a legend? - Serious q

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:33 am

Effes wrote:So, going back to the original thread, what makes a legend. I think it is a player who is remembered fondly after his playing days.
Joey Jones was a legend too, not for being a great player but just because he is remembered fondly.
Maybe that's stretching the legend label.
The dictionary states that it is someone famous AND admired; so that's why Joey Jones and Supersub make it IMO.

I take your point Effes but if I considered every lfc player that I remember fondlly to be a legend then I'd have to add at least another 100 names to my list and it would include Igor Biscan !  :wwww  You have been warned .  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby soccerforever » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:51 am

good :censored: makes a legend all the waayyy
soccerforever

Postby soccerforever » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:52 am

good A$$ makes a legend alll the wayyyy
soccerforever

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:31 am

I think a legend is a player that you wouldn't change for anyone.

Looking back - who would have swapped Dalglish/Keegan/Callaghan/St. John/Fowler, etc.

Not me, that is a fact. (I only saw Fowler play live in that particular list, and although there may have been better players around (Even than Dalglish), no-one would swap them.)

Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard are the same - no LFC fan would swap them for any other player. And why? - Because they give their all, play with passion for LFC only, and have our fantastic club at heart.

F*ck Ronaldinho, f*ck Shevchenko, and f*ck the rest aswell. I wouldn't swap if you paid me.  :)

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:06 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I think a legend is a player that you wouldn't change for anyone.

Looking back - who would have swapped Dalglish/Keegan/Callaghan/St. John/Fowler, etc.

Not me, that is a fact. (I only saw Fowler play live in that particular list, and although there may have been better players around (Even than Dalglish), no-one would swap them.)

Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard are the same - no LFC fan would swap them for any other player. And why? - Because they give their all, play with passion for LFC only, and have our fantastic club at heart.

F*ck Ronaldinho, f*ck Shevchenko, and f*ck the rest aswell. I wouldn't swap if you paid me.  :)

spot on there Lando mate,.......
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AwiLas » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:18 am

Jamie Carragher tops my list on the upcoming legendary player.. See how he shouts at Stevie G and even Hyppia, for not organising the defence wall against a freekick.. And the way he protested or appeal at the referee for sending out his players.. He's already a living legend.. 101% committed to the club.. Need I say more.?. He's got the courage, loyalty, integrity, pride and passion.. Cheers.. My 2 cents..
AwiLas

Postby shanks72 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:50 pm

For me it is Ian Rush. But Stevie boy is well on his way.
Image Image

REST IN PEACE DRUMMERPHIL, YNWA

underneath are the everlasting arms
deuteronomy 33:27
shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreenred » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:09 pm

CARRA has to be my choice after he threw that coin at arsenal fans and the way he stood up to that tw*t mourinho a couple of seasons back, the guy takes no shi* of anyone,along with tommy smith who kicked the ref after the game with inter milan in the 60s
im not saying violence is right i just love players who give their all for the liver bird on their chest
thegreenred

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:33 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I've been with LFC since the mid '50s ,I was only a nipper then (honest  :D  ) I'm not sure what makes a legend and in those very early days I probably didn't appreciate all that I was seeing .Looking back over the years however here are the players that have stuck in my mind as true red heroes/legends .

Roger Hunt
Ian Callaghan
Ian St John
Emlyn Hughes
Tommy Smith
Kevin Keegan
John Toshack
Kenny Dalglish
Ian Rush
John Barnes
Robbie Fowler

I'm sure that Gerrard and Carragher will join that list when I look back 10 years from now .

I should also give a mention to Micheal Owen,Ray Kennedy and Graham Souness ,maybe not legends in my mind but still some of the finest players in their position to pull on a red shirt .

:)

Great picks there Woof. I dont go back as far as you , only the middle/ late 60's but they would all be in my list. I would have added Alan Hansen, but once you start adding its hard to stop  :D
account deleted by request

Postby CardinalRed » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:04 pm

A Legend is a player who when you hear his name you instantly think of the club he played for and what he won for them.... I reckon despite their ages you could already count Stevie and Carra in with the CL win and their local connection.....

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:45 pm

IMO a legend is someone who is never forgotten for what they did for the club. It doesn't really matter how long they were here, or indeed if they even did anything else for the club, just that they did something so great that they will always be remembered.

McAllister is a prime example. He spent most of his career at Leeds & Coventry, but everyone thinks of him as a Liverpool player. That's because this club is where he made his greatest contribution.

On the same note, in ten years time, are you gonna remember some of the howlers Dudek produced? No, you're gonna remember Istanbul, which in my eyes would make him a legend too.

Of course legends aren't always born from great achievements, some are legends for how bad they were, if you ask me, Sean Dundee & Djimi Traore also count as having legendary status.

Just my humble opinion.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby peterc1992 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:01 am

spot on
Last edited by peterc1992 on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crossy11 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:31 pm

I think it's hard to describe a legend, so i just give examples of them! :p Bill Shankly, pure legend. Steve Gerrard, just is. :D
crossy11

Postby kop11 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:09 pm

bob paisly created the word legend! :p
'i was made for liverpool and liverpool was made for me'

kop11

Postby Judge » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:30 pm

legends are created by the fans arent they. possibly the media and the trainspotting statisticians (AB etc :D)
Last edited by Judge on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge