Macmanaman

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Paul C » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:51 am

I don't have a problem with the guy leaving for a better side and to win things but it's the way he promissed the fans that he would sign a new contract and he wore a Real Madrid pin badge while playing for Liverpool FC which was sort of like when Ince wore a scum kit while playin for West Ham.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:58 am

I thought Barcelona used him to get Rivaldo.  I thought he was ****** off that Liverpool were prepared to sell him.  He went out to Spain, and there was no deal at all, it was a wasted flight, Barcelona were laughing at him.

Was it Liverpool in the wrong?  Was it us after Overmars?

Tell me again what happened, I got a bit lost by that post above.
jonnymac1979

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:23 pm

During the mid 90's macca was our best midfielder by miles, he was easily the most skillfull english player. Weve missed him badly since he left in my opinion, just look at some of the ****** we bought to replace him! players like smicer, murphy and diouff arnt half the player macca was.

And as for him not being important to madrid i dont believe that either, at first he wasnt a regular but he broke into the team and established himself, if i remember correctly he was man of the match vs valencia in the european cup final, he also had a big impact when coming on as a sub in his second european cup final, it was only in his final season that he was no longer a valuable member of the first team squad.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:24 pm

I remember that time, Steve McManaman should have gone to Barcelona with 13m or something like that. Liverpool turned down that final offer from FC Barcelona before new season 1998/99 (can't remember which season before he went to Real Madrid). Liverpool thought Steve will sign a new contract but he didn't. I am glad he went to abroad but if he sign for another English club from Liverpool for nothing, I would be really p1ssed off with him. He want to play for Real Madrid, I don't blame him that he want to play for Greatest Team in the world, we did made a mistake that we didn't get any transfer fee with load of money, we have learn our lesson, so that won't be happen again. Don't worry about Michael Owen, I am confident that HE WILL SIGN A NEW CONTRACT AFTER EURO 2004 not before, he is in England squad at the moment. What the point Owen to sign a new contract now because he can't and Rick Parry is in on holiday, we have to wait after EURO 2004.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:14 pm

I was sorry to see macca go, he was one of the best players for Liverpool during his time there. I think he was treated badly by GH as was Fowler and Ince.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:30 pm

Got no time for Ince.  Big chip on his shoulder.
jonnymac1979

Postby Boocity » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:32 pm

Maybe so but he was still treated sh*t
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:38 pm

McManaman's stunning impact in the 1992 F.A. Cup final

Beat Bolton virtually on his own in the 1995 coca-cola cup final

Demoralised Celtic in '97 UEFA cup

Scored a cracker against Arsene Wengers Arsenal in '97 as team captain

.....Thanks for the memories macca
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:05 pm

A few days after said Celtic game, he scored a near carbon copy of that goal against Aston Villa.  Anyone remember?
jonnymac1979

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:05 pm

i liked macca, still do, did well for the club. couldnt like ince sory, he might have played well but doesnt matter, anyone who is a self nemed guv'nor isnt right in my book
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:03 pm

Does it not bother anyone that he turned up at John Lennon airport with a Real pin badge in his suit just after signing a precontract with them, he was jetting out to play in europe for us and did that, bang out of order in my opinion!  :angry:

He WAS a great player in his early years but toward the end defenders cottoned on to his game, in the last season all he used to do is run down the touchline and try to cut in, same old thing everytime, we got rid of him at the right time cos all he had was pace and now he's lost that he's nothing.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:19 pm

****** ****** SHITBAG ****** STUPID ****** ****** ENOUGH SAID.:laugh: :laugh:
Last edited by mistyred on Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:52 am

I was a big fan of Macca. Only kids could match him for dribbling at pace witha ball at his feet. Scored some great goals and was often at the centre of everything despite being out on the wing. Couldn't tackle for toffee but did his best to run run back and get in the way!

Left a sour taste in the mouth when he left but i was pleased he did pretty good in Madrid. City fans will tell you Macca spends most of the game pointing and telling the rest of team mates where to go these days.

We certainly got the best years of Stevie.Mac
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:53 am

i meant Giggs not kids! :)
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:43 am

lol, a lad that I worked with made exactly the same comment about him spending most of the game pointing. lmao.  :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge