Juan román riquelme

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:57 pm

ive watched him a couple of times for villareal and i think he pretty good and worth a stab at getting him how do u feel about it
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:26 pm

i think yes what about you :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:30 pm

but on a serious note he is a top class player and had 2 great games vs the toffees but he would cost too much plus we already have too many central midfielders.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:22 pm

Not an expert on him but from what I've seen, from the handful of games I've watched him play in, the guy can play in the hole behind the strikers as good as anyone in the game.  He is one of Argentina's star players who makes the team play and will have  say in how they play in next years World Cup.  He seems to be able to slow the tempo of the game down to his own pace and do what he wants with the ball.  He's also deadly at set pieces. 

The player in the Premiership he most reminds me of is Mendieta for Boro. Those type of players just always seem to be able to do whatever they want to on the ball and dictate their sides' movement.  The sign of a top class player.  To an extent, we have Alonso who does this for us, but Alonso does not play in the hole.  He usually lies just in front of the defence and pings those passes. 

I recall being at Anfield a season or two back watching us beat Boro 2 - 0, the second to last home game of Houllier's reign and Mendieta was class that day even though we battered Boro (even Heskey scored) but Riquelme as far as continental players go reminds me of him.  Quality player, as for signing him from Villareal, not sure about that........
jonnymac1979

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:49 am

He would bring more flare to our attacking play.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:09 pm

He is a technically gifted player but he had a reaaly poor spell at barca a couple of years ago and there have been questions about whether he can perform regularly for big teams with all of the pressure that comes with the territory and with all due respect villareal aren't a big side so he could struggle at anfield. At the right price though he may be worth a punt when all is said and done.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Erica » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:58 am

RUSHIE#9 wrote:He is a technically gifted player but he had a reaaly poor spell at barca a couple of years ago and there have been questions about whether he can perform regularly for big teams with all of the pressure that comes with the territory and with all due respect villareal aren't a big side so he could struggle at anfield. At the right price though he may be worth a punt when all is said and done.

Exactly. He would be a very good player for Everton, but in big clubs such as Liverpool, he would perform in the same way as he did in Barcelona, that is to say:rubbish. :D
Erica

Postby drummerphil » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:34 am

Against England at the weekend, apart from Rooney he was the best player on the pitch.Personally i would love to see him in a reds shirt.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:46 pm

drummerphil wrote:Against England at the weekend, apart from Rooney he was the best player on the pitch.Personally i would love to see him in a reds shirt.

Agreed, he was fantastic at the weekend, he was a joy to watch to be honest.

Rivaldo was at Barcelona when he was there and he kept him out of the side, but nobody was getting past Rivaldo in the starting eleven when he was at his peak, so I feel it's unfair to assess Riquelmes time there as complete rubbish, Rivaldo was just too good for anyone
jonnymac1979

Postby H_K_LFC » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:20 pm

drummerphil wrote:Against England at the weekend, apart from Rooney he was the best player on the pitch.Personally i would love to see him in a reds shirt.

He was by far the best player on the pitch that day....

....he's defo worth buying...a quality player...he'll run the show in the world cup
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:27 am

Riquelme was played out of position for Barcelona, he was hardly given a chance so to say that he didn't make the grade is a bit off the mark. When he played, he was played as a left-back.

Now why the Barcelona manager would place such a gifted central-midfielder as a left-back I don't know but he was played out of position obviously.

The real question is whether he would be able to handle the physical side of the Premiership.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby darwisigila » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:52 am

some people said he is lightning slow...he seem a slow player but u can't get near him, ledley king said.
he dragged in and out position when england meet argentina last week.
Very talented and gifted player...if we got money we should get any player like him..maybe his game not suitable for prem coz the game is faster.( remember veron)
To say that juan riquelme can't play for big team is pure rubbish.
darwisigila

Postby azriahmad » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:13 am

Darwisigila, you're spot on with this comment.

It's not just anybody but a certain Hernan Crespo lamented that Argentina used to "move-pause-move" now Argentina "stroll and stop", a reference to Riquelme being a "slow" playmaker as opposed to Veron who moves play quicker. We all know what effect Veron had on the EPL.

However, based on the evidence of his effectiveness, it shouldn't matter if he is lightning quick or lightning slow. At Villareal, he has a midfield minder who sits back and protects the back four and he is left to his ingenuity to wreak havoc on the opposition. Seems to be working for Villareal.

We certainly could do with more creativity.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rickf1 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:25 pm

Definettly not a player for EPL, he's great but he's slow to play and EPL is all about explosion and he would be as bad as Veron or even worst at the EPL.
rickf1

Postby vivabeti » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:46 am

aqui in Spain plays well
-----------------------------
vivabeti

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge