Juan román riquelme

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby red37 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:47 pm

i like riquelme a lot. he is one who can slow down and dictate play when the play is higher up the pitch. and he makes some dangerous passes bisecting any defence.
whether or not an alonso could be on the park at the same time as a riquelme?? not so sure. i think we'd sacrifice the natural drive of a gerrard motivated midfield, with one best suited to continental style ala uefa CL. dont get me wrong if it came off then what a devastating partnership it would make. i just think that for the bread and butter stuff riquelme would then struggle for pace AND strength.

but he certainly possesses enough craft and guile to bring to the table and i would be over the moon to see him in our squad.

shame it wont happen.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:14 pm

red37 wrote:i like riquelme a lot. he is one who can slow down and dictate play when the play is higher up the pitch. and he makes some dangerous passes bisecting any defence.
whether or not an alonso could be on the park at the same time as a riquelme?? not so sure. i think we'd sacrifice the natural drive of a gerrard motivated midfield, with one best suited to continental style ala uefa CL. dont get me wrong if it came off then what a devastating partnership it would make. i just think that for the bread and butter stuff riquelme would then struggle for pace AND strength.

but he certainly possesses enough craft and guile to bring to the table and i would be over the moon to see him in our squad.

shame it wont happen.

Very good point red37, although it appeared in my earlier posts i was saying he was rubbish i've maybe not worded myself correctly. Riquelme is very similar in style to Alonso and as you say I too feel that there just wouldn't be room for the two of them in the same side and with the quality of passing that Alonso possesses there would be no real need for Riquelme. I'm sure that Riquelme has matured as a player in the past 2-3 years at Villareal and thathe may not struggle anymore in a much bigger side but the fact remains that he did struggle in the Barcelona team but TBH a.b i can't ever remember him being used at left back as at the time that he was there i'm sure they still had little sergi who later moved on to Atletico Madrid, it's possible that he may have been depolyed on the left side of a three man midfield but i don't think it would have been LB, but it's all water under the bridge anyway.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:21 pm

Rushie I'm certain that he was played out of position, and how could he cut the mustard when he's played out of position? If he were to play for Barca today  he would be fantastic for them.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby azriahmad » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:59 am

It's hard to see Barca accommodating him with Ronaldinho, Deco, Eto'o and Guily (even he is rotated now) already doing most of the creative and attacking work and the excellent Xavi in a holding role. If Barca were missing Deco, he can be a replacement. Deco's creativity and abilities have been very much overshadowed by Ronaldinho's excellence but I really rate this little naturalised Portugese highly, has shown his class at Porto and doing so at Barca.

When Riqulme was at Barca, they don't have a balanced a team as now and their defence was the problem, leaking goals far too often and changing 'keepers almost every season. Valdes is a good goalkeeper, although not on par with Casillias and Reina and Martinez (if i am not wrong), has been an ideal partner for Puyol.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AwiLas » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:12 am

No doubt he's good.. But heard that he is injury prone and that is no exception.. But compared him to Pablo Aimar, I think that Aimar is much better.. My 2 cents..
AwiLas

Postby darwisigila » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:57 am

u cant compared him with aimar coz their role is different..aimar playing more as a second striker or behind main striker...he did not spray passing like riquelme or alonso
darwisigila

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:07 am

i think riquelme is a brilliant player. whether there is a place for him in the liverpool squad i do not know.
gerrard, sissoko, hamman, alonso?? i dont think riquelme would settle for squad rotation and neither would gerrard or alonso for that
matter......
i do however think that aimar is a better player than riquelme
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:20 am

Aimar and Riquelme are two different types of players, not a fair comparison
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:22 am

A.B. wrote:Aimar and Riquelme are two different types of players, not a fair comparison

how are they?
i thought they were both attacking midfielders? both playmakers?
correct me if im wrong
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge