Grobbelaar - Yes or no

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:00 pm

maximus wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:I remembered the game at Newcastle where he missed two identical simple crosses allowing them to score. :(

Flipping heck!!!! Calamity James must be charged immediately for his tenure at LFC!!!!

You're missing the point Max, if you saw the game you would know that even Calamity would have gathered the two (suspect) crosses in his sleep . The errors were well dodgy, it was actually harder to NOT collect the ball than it was to gather it.  :p

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maximus » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:09 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
maximus wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:I remembered the game at Newcastle where he missed two identical simple crosses allowing them to score. :(

Flipping heck!!!! Calamity James must be charged immediately for his tenure at LFC!!!!

You're missing the point Max, if you saw the game you would know that even Calamity would have gathered the two (suspect) crosses in his sleep . The errors were well dodgy, it was actually harder to NOT collect the ball than it was to gather it.  :p

Yeah I know the incident woof woof, but the opportunity was too good to miss  :D
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:12 pm

[quote="Lee J"][/quote]
He may or may not of let us down but to call him a w*nker and a buffoon tells me more about you than it does about Grobbelar.

" He wasn't really that good anyway. I think he was average "

:D   :laugh:   :D   :laugh: 

Next you'll tell us that Rushie was ok but nothing special. I'm constantly amazed by your insight .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:12 pm

that was the game when andy cole score a hatrick in about 15 minutes wasn't it when we lost 3-0? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:17 pm

Yeah, to everyones surprise except for a betting sindicate in Malaysia. :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:54 pm

im entitled to my opinion - I don't need judging by it though.

I THINK HE WAS OVER RATED.

Rushie was a fantastic player for us. But Grobbs, well I wasn't convinced.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:34 pm

My 900th post fellas!!!!

Yeah the Newcastle game it was.

I spent the afternoon in my mates house who was (is) an Evertonian.  We were playing Sensible Soccer on his Amiga, and I felt sick at the fact that Andy Cole had scored a hat trick and they battered us. 

To know it was all Brucie kind of saddens me.  What was the fallout from all this?  What happened to Fashanu the ****** and Hans Segers? 

Was anyone prosecuted?

Check this article out for more.
Last edited by jonnymac1979 on Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonnymac1979

Postby long sleeved joe » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:27 pm

He was a flamboyant keeper so in some ways an easy target for false allegations, but he was clearly doing something dodgy.
He was never the worlds best keeper but his personality and ability to pull off some unheard of saves etc meant he was always one of my childhood heros but i too am unable to see him in the same light now- i'm not sure either way but the doubt has definately tainted how fans see him
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby azriahmad » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:27 am

He is extrovert and likes to collect crosses like no other Liverpool 'keeper. he is also prone to awful howlers but can make breath taking saves as well.

I don't remember the Newcastle game but do remember that he was allegedly caught on recording (video I think) talking about how he will throw the game by standing a couple of yards off his usual line so that the goals will not look like deliberately conceded.

What a shame if he really took it because he was a part of the great 80s team from Paisley's to Fagan's to Dalglish's reigns.

Unfortunately, Woolf, a Malaysian born person who has resided in the UK was implicated in the case. Unfortunately because I am also Malaysian...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:37 am

azriahmad wrote:Unfortunately, Woolf, a Malaysian born person who has resided in the UK was implicated in the case. Unfortunately because I am also Malaysian...

It was actually referred to as a "Malaysian Betting Syndicate" not one individual . At that time in S E Asia Liverpool had the biggest fan base of any club and interest in their results was enormous .
Don't take it personally Azriamahd , I'm sure many nationalities were also involved in the match fixing .  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:55 am

2 trials consisting 0f 24 jurors and 2 judges never convicted him.He won damages after suing the scum and 1 appeal judge overturned the verdict...the scum claim victory but it was another spoof story created by a rotten rag.I never believe anything that scummy paper prints,including the date, so why condemn an innocent man here.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:13 pm

Not so much an outright condemnation SS but that secret filming of that big wedge of money changing hands certainly tainted Brucie's reputation . Maybe it was a stitch up but mud tends to stick . :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:27 pm

I thought one of the personalities was a Malaysian born and has resided in the UK. This person became the contact person to the Malaysian based syndicate.

For your info, in 1993 or 1994, a football betting cum bribery (to players) case was carried out in the local Malaysian league was carried out and quite a few local players were found guilty and sentenced to life suspension from the local game. It was alleged that the same betting ring was also involved with match fixing in the English League. Alleged but never proven.

As for Grobbelaar, he ended up winning the presiding and clearing his name but was left with a hefty legal bill, if I am not mistaken.

He did play a blinder of a match for the Saints against Manure and shut them out, including saving a penalty during the court saga.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:37 pm

If Grobelaar is guilty of gifting Andy Cole a hat trick I think it is very sad.  But I don't think Bruceie should be erased from our history, as suggested.  He kept goal for us during our most successful decade, his hans walking celebrations after the 1982 league final still probabaly bring a laugh to fans that cann recall that day and his eccentrics during the penalty shooy out in Rome in '84 contributed to a european cup success.

I think i'll remember Bruce as a larger than life character who contributed to 10 great years in our history but who sadly got lead astray as it probabaly dawned on him that his career was in decline and was tempted for one last pay day.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:31 am

He can never be erased but he always be tainted to me after that
It seems to be another sad episode as we went in decline
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge