Gerrard could join united? - Wake me up!

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon May 31, 2004 9:31 am

Sunday May 30 2004

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry admits Steven Gerrard would be tempted to join bitter rivals Manchester United if the Reds continue to underachieve.

Man United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has made no secret of his admiration for the England international. The Scot reckons Gerrard is the new Roy Keane and that the midfielder has overtaken Patrick Vieira as the most influential midfielder in the Premiership at the minute.

However, should Gerard decide to leave Anfield, Ferguson would face fierce competition from Chelsea, with the history of animosity between United and Liverpool almost certain to count against the Old Trafford outfit.

Gerrard has urged the Reds to bring in at least three quality players in the summer if they are to challenge the top three for the title.

While Liverpool managed to secure Champions League football by virtue of finishing fourth, it is unlikely Gerrard would want to remain at Anfield if they fail to challenge for the title again next season.

Parry is quoted by LFC Online as saying: "It has to be a concern Stevie would be tempted to move away. You have to be concerned about losing players when you're not successful - and finishing fourth, for Liverpool, is not successful.

"While we're not successful you'd be mad to think we don't have issues with our top players. We can't stop Stevie joining Manchester United or whomever if he really wants to go.

"That's not to say we wouldn't fight tooth and nail to keep him. We would, and I've no doubt his greatest desire is to win trophies here. But ultimately winning trophies - wherever - is what players want."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon May 31, 2004 11:21 pm

It would be like Smith/Leeds scenario wouldn't it?  I don't like to think what kind of reaction I would have if Gerrard joined them.
jonnymac1979

Postby Dalglish » Mon May 31, 2004 11:26 pm

Until the Smith transfer to Man U, I would have said impossible that Gerrard would join the Mancs but now not so sure. However what is crystal clear is we have this season top prove to Stevie that LFC can match his ambitions.

If we fail this season then the writings on the wall.......

On the Plus side Stevie could play in ANY midfield in the world , why go to a club in decline ? ???  I can honestly see him replacing Beckham at Real Madrid come the end of this coming season and Becks coming back to the Prem with Chelsea...
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon May 31, 2004 11:27 pm

Cos lets face it, IF Becks can play in the middle of the park for Real then Stevie G can !!!!!
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon May 31, 2004 11:34 pm

Dalglish wrote:On the Plus side Stevie could play in ANY midfield in the world , why go to a club in decline ? ??? 

Yeah, I love the way they are in decline, it warms my heart.  Absolutely love it.
jonnymac1979

Postby greenred » Mon May 31, 2004 11:51 pm

Smith had to choose between Manu and Everton so you cant really blame the bloke for choosing the mancs.Stevie could go to any team that could afford him.So thats Real Madrid or Chelsea I reckon.Chelsea would outbid the mancs any day of the week.Its just not gonna happen though.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:55 pm

Listen to yourselfes gentlemen,please stop all this nonsense.

Stevie G is NOT A Smith,no chance not 1.

Born and breed the LFC way, see the thing is it's not just MANCS and LIDS,no no no it's SCOUSERS and MANCS, never gona happen..

See myself will never by alan smiths "i moved to manure strictly for football reasons",once a supporter football reasons don't come into it.

(Picture Arabs spitting on the floor in disscust).
Money can bloody wait,how could you call yourself a fan it's like changing colours like those little kids that support a different team every flippin year..

So unless he never want's to live in england again best be next stop spain. :D  :D  :D  :laugh:
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:48 pm

Mistyred: no offence but that attitude is naive in the extreme.

Gerrard himself said that while he would love to finish his career at Anfield he would only do so if the club were winning trophies.

In the modern game you cannot rule out top stars signing for their club's rivals, regardless of how much they say they love the club.

It rarely happens any more that a player will stick at a club to the detriment of his career.

At the end of the day Gerrard is a professional and if he felt that he wasn't achieving what he felt he was capable of at Liverpool he might decide to move.

However, I don't think Gerrard will move anywhere this summer.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby cheesecakery » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:24 pm

3 cheers to manchester united for winning the FA cup easily ,,,,
hip hip..... etc etc  :D
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby JBG » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:31 pm

Stevie G going to Man UTD would really break your heart, eh, Cheeso?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby mistyred » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:44 pm

JBG come on mate might be naive but we can only speak form the heart.

At least it's not offensive unless your MANURE!.

And why as soon as stevie hit's form does he have to go anywhere bloody tabloids and fergie he knows how to wind people up..

Anyway i don't care ive said what i feel :;):...
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cheesecakery » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:46 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Stevie G going to Man UTD would really break your heart, eh, Cheeso?

f.u.cking right pervo
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge