dgradation of the beautiful game

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby barry » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:45 pm

All through Liverpools past we have played beautiful football and helped make it what is it today.  We were famed for one touch football, fast and stylish. Wheres it gone? Under Houlier we will get sucess of that I have no doubt (despite recent results I still have faith) but it is a question of how we want to win.  Is it win at all cost or win with style? for me style will always win but under houlier we have set out to degrade and undermin the beautiful game by not playing through the midfield by sitting back and defending thus not only playing boring ourselveves but stifling others play as well. If others play like we do we would have no game. We need to change for the sake of football
barry

Postby royal blue mersey » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:01 pm

How right you are Barry. As my name shows I am as blue as the royal Blue Mersey but never have you had a worse team. I truly believe Houllier is leading you to nowhere
royal blue mersey

Postby Adebisi » Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:06 pm

Yes, what ever happened to the Liverpool 'triangles', one touch passing between three players, casually building up through the park instead of Hyppia Gerrard or Henchoz hoofing it up the park... Gerrard through ball passes are usually sh*t hot, no need to punt it!!!
Adebisi

Postby its cold in the stands sh » Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:41 am

houllier hasnt got enough confidence in his buys or coaching ability to put eleven players on a pitch and not worry about the opposition.
the way we are set up is to firstly stop the other team playing their natural game.we always seem to employ tactics and formations to reduce the threat of their attack, this to me, is almost an admission that we think the other side is superior.no matter who the opposition is be it premier, nationwide or european, before a ball is kicked we are basically saying to them " we dont feel we can take you on in a open free flowing game of footy so we`ll try damage limitation and see if we cant pinch one the other end"
the art of scoring goals is of secondry concern.
the art of not conceding is houlliers mantra.
years ago we put out eleven good footballers and told them to just go out and play their natural game, let the opposition worry about us.if it comes to a high scoring free for all we just made sure we scored one more than them.
for a team with the current england strikeforce to hide behind the skirts of defensive tactics is a disgrace.especially against teams like palace.earlier on in the season when we were top we played one up front to bolster the defensive cover in midfield to counteract the potent strikeforce of the other team.
who was this team that forced the most sucessfull club in the history of the english game to quake in their boots? who was this team that had the four times european champions running to the tactics board for salvation?
middlesbro`.
no wonder the players confidence is shot to pieces when houllier is basically saying to them we cant take these on without taking precautions.
how fall the mighty.
its cold in the stands sh

Postby Funk » Tue May 13, 2003 4:57 pm

I was a keen and loyal supporter of GH and his plans... No doubt he has brough silverware, more of which some clubs could only dream of. But with silverware has come something very negitive... the style of football we play. I can honestly say that we play some of the most unattractive football I have seen, I absolutluy love LFC to death but I cannot condone GH's decisions in both tactics and buys. It may work on the continent but the Premiership is about fast attacking football... We play slow defensive football! I am gutted but I hope Parry soon realises that GH may have taken us as far as he can go....
Funk

Postby supersub » Wed May 14, 2003 8:41 pm

Funk you are absolutely spot-on.It's been bloody woeful at times.
I don't think Houllier watches the same pitiful performances   as we do.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby markm » Mon May 19, 2003 8:25 pm

the problem lies with the players houllier has picked for his side.troare is bloody useless, how he can wear the red of liverpool i will never know!sell players like him,heskey,carragherand smicer and bring in real quality like duff,boumsong and cisse.
markm

Postby jaypap » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:50 pm

its not just that we look boring, but world class talent isnt attracted to our style...we cant get superstars to want to play 4 us if we continue in this way...
jaypap

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:02 pm

It is both reasons why we struggled last season we havent got the better quality attackers to open up teams,and also our style of play is so predictable that we can't break teams down who only come to defend. We should be stretching teams with wide players and having Gerrard running at the defenders from deep that is the only way we can start giving the lower teams a good hiding.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jaypap » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:12 pm

im starting to feel good things are going to start happening to us...kewell is coming and so is cisse and there will be others too...we are gonna have a super squad and we will dominate the league for years to come...
baros will be turn out to be and absolute start next season and owen will have to fight for his spot!
is that possible?
jaypap

Postby supersub » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:34 pm

jaypap snap out of it.You've just experienced a pleasant sunday dream where everything is nice and rosy.Kewell could be a vicious rumour and Cisse possible for next year.But hey! still be confident because it feels good.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby jaypap » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:03 am

ss
u are probably right, im getting caught up in the hype again...kewell's agent is probably trying to get arsenal to pay more for him...
so u dont think that gh is after hk?
jaypap

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:21 pm

I think we are definetely interested in kewell and i believe we will make a bid,its well documented that his missus wants a move to london but arsenal might not have the cash up front because of there new stadium. So we will try and bring him here. With Cisse i think we'll be seeing over the next couple of weeks a lot more news now the conf cup is over.He wants the move and GH has stated that he wants him,so its all down to auxerre who are a small french outfit with crowds of about 15,000.They  shouldn't be able to turn a decent bid down.so things are promising.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:16 pm

Be wary of agents.They have tendency to feed the press with stories to create a bidding war for their clients.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby mrhahn_2003uk » Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:30 pm

I hope one day Liverpool might sign or loan Japanese players such as Hidetoshi Nakata and Junichi Inamoto to the squad.  :D

If we got Harry Kewell, then it might help Liverpool next season to the champions League and most importantly the championship !
mrhahn_2003uk

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge