Bruno Cheyrou: an update - From bad to worse

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:14 pm

Have done a small bit of research into Bruno Cheyrou, after remembering that this time last year, he actually played well for a month, before reverting back to his normal 6foot1 sheepish, blow him over with a feather self.

Things haven't gone at all well with Marseille, as he has only started a handful of games, with the bulk of his appearances coming from the bench.

He has no goals to his name, only 4 yellow cards, which tells its own story.

He is now complaining about Marseille, particularly the coach there, and he wants out.

He says he regrets leaving Liverpool, saying that he should have stayed last summer and fought for his place. This is a bit rich coming from a guy who said "Liverpool disapointed me: I expected to win titles there, but all we won was the little league cup". Very rich coming from a chap who responsibility was to help deliver those titles.

Cheyrou says he's like to come back to Anfield in January, but nothing has come from Melwood offering him a return.

We may see him back here in the summer, indeed it is very likely, as even Alou Diarra did some of his pre season training at Melwood last summer before going out on loan to Lens.

The future is very unclear for Cheyrou, and unfortunately for Liverpool FC, he'll be a costly mistake, as he'll probably end up back at his old club Lille or at a small-ish Italian club after Liverpool are forced to pay up his contract.

I also noted that former Liverpool reserve Pegguy Aphrexhad was signed by Marseille back in September as cover for Barthez.

Meanwhile, there is a possibility that Rafeal Benitez will recall Alou Diarra from Lens in the summer, and while Diarra would actually be a help now given Alonso's injury, an early move home is unlikely. Liverpool will either keep Diarra at Anfield next season, offer him a new contract, or sell him for decent money, as his star has really risen this season, indeed rising as far as the French national side.

Finally, Marseille are reported to be seriously interested in Grigory Vignal, as they cancelled Lizarazu's contract and have allowed him to return to Bayern Munich.

(from various sources across the web)
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:32 pm

I thought your missus was home !!  :D
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:40 pm

She was out visiting a friend tonight, and I've just got an earful about the washing up!  :angry:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby andy_g » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:30 am

so have we become a feeder club for marseille?

seriously i was very disappointed in cheyrou. all those little flashes of talent i took as great signs with all those claims that he was to be the next zidane ringing in my ears. but the guy hasn't produced and to then blame it on the rest of the team for disappointing him is outrageous. they guy has no chance of coming back and we don't need him.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:34 am

good to hear Diarra is doing well, and is now on the fringes of the fecnh national team - one for the future perhaps along with Sinama.

Cheyrou is finished by the sounds of things, what a waste of money for someone who was meant to be "the next Zidane" :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:58 am

The most disapointing thing of all about Cheyrou was that last January he established himself a platform not only to make an impact at Liverpool but also to become a star in the Premiership. He scored some goals and started to play well, and everyone was thinking "finally we are seeing something concrete and tangible".

What happened next? Cheyrou just went back to sleep, slipping silently into medicority.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:13 am

Think thats the end of Cheyrou then so it seems, ashame really he had the look of a player that could have really done well for himself and for us.
Incidently why doesnt Rafa get Diarra back now we have xabi out for 3 months?
Its worth ago he is ours and hes been playing really well it seems.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby y cymro » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:26 pm

I think Cheyrou was/is a decent player. Given limited opportunities he showed more talent in controlling a ball, passing it, and scoring a few goals than Biscan and Diaou put together (though that not saying much). Sell Biscan and get him back to the squad. I'd like to see him in a passing team. ie one with |Alonso in it.:blues:
y cymro

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:21 am

I still think of Bruno as one of Mad Dr Houllier-stein's failed experiments and I don't find him worthy of wearing the kit. Flog him and invest the money in a decent player. Diarra, I'm willing to give a chance because no one ever sees him and I have no idea what he's like. But Cheyrou can leave and I promise not to cry.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:24 am

I cant believe that Cheyrou is 26 what a waste of money.
For a 26 year old midfielder whos done absolutly nothing in his career, the new Zidane pffffffft I can play better than him :D , well then again maybe not.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:48 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:He is now complaining about Marseille, particularly the coach there, and he wants out.

He says he regrets leaving Liverpool, saying that he should have stayed last summer and fought for his place. This is a bit rich coming from a guy who said "Liverpool disapointed me: I expected to win titles there, but all we won was the little league cup". Very rich coming from a chap who responsibility was to help deliver those titles.

I think that this is just indicative of the footballing world that the young players are inducted into. As with anything else, only a small % of players manage a meteoric rise to the top and starting winning trophies as they wish (rooney could turn out to be one of these people for instance), the majority languish in the depths of mediocrity with regards silverware.

I can see his point of view from the fact that we would all like us to be bringing in the silverware at Anfield. It sounds like he was hasty (perhaps due to inexperience/immaturity) in moving and he is suffering the consequences now. The complaints remind me a lot of Anelka.

I admire ambition, but I think it is a shame that players can't take solace in the fact that they are living out the fantasy that they have had since they were kids. Football is their life and living and he was playing for one of the biggest clubs in footballing history, yet it wasn't enough to keep him here and try and restore the winning ways. His loss.
Homebooby

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:44 am

id liekt o see cheyrou back for the simple reason that he should be a good player.
ok, houllier made some real poor buys but cheyrou showed some real potential. now we got beni as manager he should be able to realise the postential and release it to the footballing world. plus its worth a shot and betetr than just paying off the entire contract right?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:34 pm

Liverpool confirmed over the weekend that Bruno Cheyrou will not be returning to Anfield this season. There had been speculation that he would be recalled in the French press given Liverpool's injury problems, but the club have dismissed the rumours. Cheyrou himself is unhappy at Marseille and is keen on a return.

My own view is that Marseille will not take up the option of keeping Cheyrou beyond this season and he will return to Melwood for pre-season training, although he may be farmed off again next season.

Meanwhile, as most people know, Anthony Le Tallec has returned from his unsuccessful loan spell with St. Etienne. Le Tallec played as a lone striker in the 0-4 reserves hammering by Aston Villa. Le Tallec was praised by observers for his workrate in a game where he was starved of quality ball.

Le Tallec's return was well timed given his friend and compatriot's Florent Sinama Pongolle's bad injury and the doubts over Neil Mellor's fitness. I myself believe we'll see Le Tallec in the first team squad almost immediately, albeit as an out and out striker.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:39 pm

If he's ever going to get the opportunity to make his mark on the first team it's now with Pongo out, Kewell in and out, Mellor not good enough and Garcia still waiting to really find his best form

Good luck to him, I hope he can make the grade
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:59 pm

le tallac playing along side baros against Bayar?  ???
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge