Alan hansen - As he was then

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:19 am

I thought a few people might like to see how one of our great players was perceived when he signed.

Big Signings - Unknown Scot Alan Hansen
Now we start a group of articles focusing on the arrival of several big names in Liverpool history who succeeded or failed at Liverpool. Once upon a time they were new signings and unproven in the eyes of the fans and the media and it's interesting to see how they were portrayed in the media at the time.

Liverpool very rarely make mistakes in the transfer market. People were heard to say: "Kevin who?" when they signed Kevin Keegan from Scunthorpe for a paltry fee.

Ray Clemence wasn't exactly a name on everyone's lips when he, too, joined up at Anfield from the same club. Now Liverpool have swooped into the market once again and the unknown this time is young Scot Alan Hansen, who cost £100,000 from Partick Thistle.

Hansen is in the same mould as other Liverpool central defenders Emlyn Hughes, Phil Thompson and Tommy Smith.

The talented Hansen has the ability to surge into attack and set up moves and finish them off. He is aware that he will not walk straight into the first team and says: "As far as I am concerned this could not have been a better move. They are the best team in the business and they have proved that conclusively over the years. It's going to be funny going down there and mixing with all those great players. At Firhill I was looked on as one of the stars because I had won international recognition. However I realise I am about to start my soccer education. I'm going to be put through the mill. Liverpool will want to groom me before I even get close to the first team!"

The £100,000 fee for Hansen will look like peanuts whenever the Scot reaches his full potiental. Bolton made a desperate bid of £80,000 just before the transfer deadline in March, but manager Bertie Auld had no hesitation in turning it down flat. Southampton and Newcastle were also said to be interested, but there was no way Hansen was going to be allowed to leave Firhill for anything under £100,000. Liverpool watched him on several occasions and agreed with Auld's price.

At one time during the season it seemed every club in Britain was chasing Hansen. Obviously this hindered the 21-year-old's progress and Auld stepped in to tell interested clubs to either put their offers in writing or shut up! Things settled down again and so did Hansen, whose brother John also plays for Thistle. Hansen admits he prefers playing at the back instead of midfield, but Liverpool will obviously work on his versatility.

Hansen, though, certainly knows how to score goals when the break is on. Rangers found that to their cost when they lost a remarkable League match 4-3 at Firhill last season. The youngster left goalkeeper Stewart Kennedy totally helpless with a scorching drive for the equaliser at 3-3 and then, near the end, he showed the calm of a veteran when Thistle were awarded a penalty and he stepped up to make no mistake with a perfect effort from the spot.

Bolton, too, were impressed by him during their Anglo-Scottish Cup-ties. He was superb at the back in the first-leg which ended in a 0-0 draw and at Firhill he joined in with the attack to head in the only goal of the game.

Hansen faces a tough battle for a first team spot with the established Anfield back-four men. But whoever he replaces, Liverpool fans can look forward with confidence to seeing one of the soccer's most talented young men in action.

The big occasion brings out the best in Hansen and he says: "I'm really looking forward to life as a Liverpool player and I'm determined not to let them down."

It's unlikely he will do so...

from lfchistory
account deleted by request

Postby KOPMATT » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:32 pm

Fair play he was bloody awesome!!!
KOPMATT

Postby peterc1992 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:02 am

great player
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:22 pm

Simply a great player. he was described as "the steal of the century" at £100,000 only a couple of seasons after he had arrived and established himself.

I remembered an FA Cup tie against Villa when Hansen made a rare but effortless stride well into the Villa half, gallopping quite ellegantly past several Villa players and when he was near the penalty area and having done all of the hard work, with only a chasing defender and the 'keeper against him, he so unselfishly squared to an attacking team mate (I'd forgotten who it was) who squandered the chance. We won 3-0 that day, Hansen did not score.

Daniel Agger has a similar playing style and he'd do very wwll indeed if he can emulate Hansen. Our greatest central defender in my book.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:10 pm

Awesome brother! I loved him as a player, the guile , long striding forward runs like Franz Beckenbauer , with more grace.
I never forgave Freguson for leaving him behind in the world cup 86 (didnt Dlaglish stay too in protest)?
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:53 am

Ferguson preferred the partnership from his Aberdeen club, McLeish & Miller but Hansen was miles better than them.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red_lass » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:33 pm

was it true that whenever he's on the field he never gets his shorts dirty? he just parks himself on the halfway line and orchestrates the game from there. if thats true he one hella of a player!

never seen him play..just  saw bits and pieces on youtube, can someone direct me to more videos of Hansen. he sounds like a cracking player.
Red_lass
Red_lass

Postby kop11 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:10 pm

one word = legend :)
'i was made for liverpool and liverpool was made for me'

kop11

Postby azriahmad » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:10 am

Alan Hansen and Mark Lawrenson must have been the quickest defensive pair we ever had. When they were in their pomp, they played a very high line yet effective offside trap. By his own admission in his regular Telegraph article, "neither Mark Lawrenson nor myself can really tackle to save our lives, but we use our anticipation and especially Mark's pace to get out of jail". They don't do man for man marking. Mark Lawrenson has the pace of a winger and his speed allowed him to make effective interceptions; Hansen was no slouch either but latterly in his career, his knees were so dodgy that he hardly trains.

The only weakness that I can remember was the dislike of high balls, but this weakness only became so glaring towards the end of his career (when his past knee injuries took their toll on him, yet he still compensated by his ability to anticipate) and when Wimbledon brought a new defenition to the use of high ball bombardments in top flight football.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:03 am

The modern equivalent of Hansen Is Rio Ferdinand. Hansen was 20 years before his time as a footballing central defender, and was better and braver than Ferdinand.
What would a player fo his calibre be worth in todays open market - Ferdinand was bought for around the 27 million mark if i remember rightly. For Hansen now i would say you would not get much change from 30 million, maybe even more.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:09 pm

crazyhorse wrote:The modern equivalent of Hansen Is Rio Ferdinand. Hansen was 20 years before his time as a footballing central defender, and was better and braver than Ferdinand.
What would a player fo his calibre be worth in todays open market - Ferdinand was bought for around the 27 million mark if i remember rightly. For Hansen now i would say you would not get much change from 30 million, maybe even more.

I actually cringed when I read that comparison....Rio Ferdinand isnt fit to lace Alan Hansens boots..... I see what you are trying to say but there is no comparison between the two.... absolutely none. Try a Franz Beckenbaurr comparison Id say
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:30 am

Alan Hansen has the best scar in football.

I mean seriously. He has a big dent in his forehead.

I don't know how he even survived that.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 83-1165837413 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:34 pm

Hansen was a phenomenon.

He paved the way for other great defenders.

I also think he helped a few players along the way during his time including Steve Nicol,Jim Beglin and Jan Molby.
83-1165837413

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:21 pm

The truth behind Hansen's scar:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/theknow....00.html

"Can anyone enlighten me as to how Alan Hansen received the huge scar that figures so prominently on his forehead?" asks Charles Arnold.

"The scar was the result of him running through a glass door when he was 17," explains Edward Connor. "Apparently, that same day the dog ate his homework and he left his PE kit at home." No need for the scepticism, Edward - it's all true: Hansen and his schoolmates were late for a volleyball tournament, and he led from the front in the rush to get to the changing-rooms, neglecting to acknowledge the minor detail of a plate of glass in front of him."
ivor_the_injun

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:40 am

A good article on Hansen

New Anfield, But Never A New Hansen
Posted 27/07/07 12:09EmailPrintSave

As part of his job on the backroom staff at Liverpool, Ronnie Moran gave new players a guided tour of Anfield. When the tour reached the dressing-room, Moran would point out Alan Hansen. 'Don't watch big Al play,' Moran said. 'Don't try to do what he does because he's a one-off.'

The message, driven home all the more forcefully if the new signing happened to be a defender, was always the same: Liverpool are a passing side. Give and go. The team, not the individual. But they made an exception for Hansen, their tall, stylish centre-back. 'Liverpool gave me the licence to be myself,' the Scot said, recalling his special status at Anfield.

As a boy, Hansen modelled himself on Bobby Moore; like Moore, his game was all about anticipation, reading the play, and skill on the ball. 'My number-one attribute was my ability to involve myself in the attacking play. For me, it was all about getting the ball and 'playing' - making constructive passes and pushing forward to get the ball back, or taking the ball past opponents.' Which was exactly what Moran didn't want anyone else to do.

Signed by Bob Paisley from Partick Thistle in 1977 for a fee of £100,000, a paltry sum even then, Hansen played 621 games for Liverpool. By the time he retired, in 1991, he had amassed eight League championship medals, two FA Cup and three League Cup gongs and three European Cup medals. In those 14 years there was only one season when Liverpool finished lower than second in the table, and only two seasons when they failed to land a trophy.

'More than any other individual he underpinned Liverpool's continued success during the 1980s,' Howard Kendall said. 'In many ways Alan was Liverpool's best attacker. As Everton manager, the message I always gave my players was: Stop Hansen. Our strikers were told to mark him and forget about chasing after the ball. The last thing I wanted was for Hansen to be in possession and in space.'

Tall and thin, with a long, loping stride, Hansen was, nevertheless, deceptively quick. 'Some players could beat me over 20 yards, but I am hard pressed to recall a team-mate who could do so over 50 or 60 yards.'

Tactically, Liverpool's flat back-four pushed up in order to compress the play. They didn't deliberately play for offside, however. 'We pushed up with the intention of making it difficult for opponents to give their strikers the service they wanted to give them, and to keep the ball a safe distance from goal.' Here again, his ability to read the play - when to let the striker go, knowing that he'd be ruled offside - was crucial.

Hansen would jockey opponents and then nick the ball away. 'Attacking the ball just wasn't my game,' said Hansen, a sufferer of panic attacks whenever faced with the prospect of marking burly, robust centre-forwards. 'They had one quality that I lacked: fearlessness.'

And for all his height, he wasn't much good in the air, either. Yet for all that, Liverpool, time and again, boasted the best defensive record in the division.

His stature put an added strain on his knees. Eventually, the deterioration in the joint forced Hansen to undergo small 'clean up' operations at the end of each season. 'Until 1985-86 season, when I tore my right knee muscle midway through the campaign, I probably involved myself in attacking play as much as any central defender in the history of the game,' he recalled. 'Yet after the injury, which meant that my right knee was never the same again, I concentrated much more on the defensive side.'

Meantime, workplace pressure was mounting inexorably. Fearful of failure, Hansen had always suffered nerves before a game (they disappeared as soon as he ran out on to the pitch); now, the strain of keeping Liverpool on top was getting to him more and more. He'd never taken criticism well, either, which didn't help. 'Hypersensitive,' as he put it. So, when, as a way of coping, he got into a habit of downing a few pints at lunchtime, he realized it was time to pack it in. Physically and mentally, he'd had enough.

His retirement, in 1991, prompted Kendall to predict: 'The loss of Hansen is potentially more damaging to Liverpool than the loss of Kevin Keegan or Kenny Dalglish. His partnership with Mark Lawrenson is the envy of every club in the League.'

Liverpool, as everyone knows, haven't won a title since.

'Alan is the most skilful centre-half I have ever seen in British football,' Bob Paisley once said. 'He has such beautiful balance. When he carries the ball he never loses control and always looks so graceful. He is a joy to watch.'

Robert Galvin
account deleted by request

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge