Zenit V Liverpool 14/1/13 17:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:06 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:33 pm wrote:
dundreamin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:26 pm wrote:Absolutely gutted. If the subs had,nt made I reckon we would of gone through.

we did seem to lose our grip on midfield a bit with the double substitution.
impressed with assaidi though, if coutinho was going past players like that we`d all be hailing him the next ronaldinho, what the hell has that lad got to do to get a run in the side?

Assaidi was excellent tonight i thought and has always looked pretty impressive whenever hes played, so why in Gods name does he never ever play??? its really baffling, the guy deserves a chance, he drifts past players for fun and has a decent delivery.

Thought we gave it a good go tonight, my only disappointment was the sub of Allen for Shelvey, there was no need for Jonjo and he was poor when he came on and quite frankly he dosnt deserve any game time at the minute. Other than that we really pushed Zenit hard and were unlucky not to get the goal we needed, i have absolutely no idea what Carragher was playing at for the goal!
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:41 am

So very nearly pulled another rabbit out of the European hat and credit to the lads for never giving up but yet again as so many times this season we are masters of our own downfall. The story of our season yet again as we dominate but just fall short.

City home and Away, United at home, Everton away, Arsenal away, Spurs away - All games where we got ourselves into dominant positions only to draw or in the case of Spurs lose. Add Zenit away to that list and you can see how fragile and naive we are at times.

I know we have a fair few young players learning their trade but there is enough experience and old heads in the team to see out games properly without hitting the self destruct button so many times.

Nevertheless I couldn't help feeling so incredibly proud of the boys tonight as I watched the game with my Dad and my Son. 3 generations of the same family willing the Redmen on to better things and so nearly seeing it happen. When you look back at our great history and pedigree it's easy to forget how incredibly beautiful LFC make the game sometimes. Tonight we even managed to make the Europa Cup look sexy ! ;) That is quite an achievement when you consider how Chelsea, Newcastle and to a lesser extent Spurs bored their way through to the last 16 !

Walk on ..................Its what we do :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Green Environment » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:16 am

The lads did us proud. We've committed too many defensive and goal keeping howlers this season that have cost us points, games and this case, the Europa Cup. If you think about it, all our departments, defence, midfield and up front need strengthening in the summer and the question is, do we have the funds to do so? Looks like it will be a long walk back to CL contentions again.
Green Environment
LFC Basic Member

Postby RedHands » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:41 am

Fowler_E7 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:06 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:33 pm wrote:
dundreamin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:26 pm wrote:Absolutely gutted. If the subs had,nt made I reckon we would of gone through.

we did seem to lose our grip on midfield a bit with the double substitution.
impressed with assaidi though, if coutinho was going past players like that we`d all be hailing him the next ronaldinho, what the hell has that lad got to do to get a run in the side?

Assaidi was excellent tonight i thought and has always looked pretty impressive whenever hes played, so why in Gods name does he never ever play??? its really baffling, the guy deserves a chance, he drifts past players for fun and has a decent delivery.

Thought we gave it a good go tonight, my only disappointment was the sub of Allen for Shelvey, there was no need for Jonjo and he was poor when he came on and quite frankly he dosnt deserve any game time at the minute. Other than that we really pushed Zenit hard and were unlucky not to get the goal we needed, i have absolutely no idea what Carragher was playing at for the goal!

Pretty sure Assaidi had a hernia earlier in the year and that's why he wasn't playing. Also, I think we went to ACON for Morocco. He looks like a good player.
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:22 am

Feel gutted but proud. We dominated that game for 90 minutes

Suarez' two free kicks were fantastic and the second one was just mind blowing.

It shows the lads have got fight and the likes of Allen showed he does offer us something

If we can show that fight and quality for the rest of the season then lets see where it gets us

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:22 am

Agreed Allen shouldn't never been subbed ,but as to Shelvy I think it's way to early counting him off. The lad if he can get his nerves/composure under control has tons of talent. I think Hendo is the one that should be moving on. As to Assaidi a real mystery as in all his appearance looked class.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:29 am

only me wrote: I think Hendo is the one that should be moving on.

May I ask if you have watched the performances of Henderson the last 2 months or so?

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:39 am

LFC1990 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:22 pm wrote:Feel gutted but proud. We dominated that game for 90 minutes

Suarez' two free kicks were fantastic and the second one was just mind blowing.

It shows the lads have got fight and the likes of Allen showed he does offer us something

If we can show that fight and quality for the rest of the season then lets see where it gets us

Amen to that
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:52 am

The lads and fans can be very proud of that performance. 

If Im brutally honest though, I think the double sub killed it for us.  You don't make changes like that when the lads on the pitch have scored 3 goals and have the Russians pinned in their own half.

We lost the midfield, momentum and control of the game and the last 20 mins sort of fizzled out.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:04 am

It was a fantastic performance, even though I didn't get why would BR do any changes when we had the momentum going, but it was a great performance and the lads should be proud.

Shame we couldn't get that fourth goal
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:13 am

jacdaniel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:52 am wrote:The lads and fans can be very proud of that performance. 

If Im brutally honest though, I think the double sub killed it for us.  You don't make changes like that when the lads on the pitch have scored 3 goals and have the Russians pinned in their own half.

We lost the midfield, momentum and control of the game and the last 20 mins sort of fizzled out.

In plain speaking Brendan fu'cked up. Why he had to change a winning formula is beyond me and seems to be his achilles heel
There was absolutely no need to bring on Shelvey, who added absolutely nothing, and leave Downing on, who also added absolutely nothing.
I hope he learns from this experience, but in this case Im not too optimistic
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Thommo's perm » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:13 am wrote:
jacdaniel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:52 am wrote:The lads and fans can be very proud of that performance. 

In plain speaking Brendan fu'cked up. Why he had to change a winning formula is beyond me and seems to be his achilles heel
There was absolutely no need to bring on Shelvey, who added absolutely nothing, and leave Downing on, who also added absolutely nothing.

I agree.  Think he got it massively wrong. 

Assaidi did ok when he came on but its baffling why he chose such a game to bring on a player that hasnt kicked a ball for us in a long time.
Shelvey's been bad lately, couldnt quite understand why he was coming on...

I think we lost the momentum and midfield battle with the subs tho.  Think we would have got the 4th if we had of left things.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:49 pm

I agree.  Think he got it massively wrong. 

Assaidi did ok when he came on but its baffling why he chose such a game to bring on a player that hasnt kicked a ball for us in a long time.
Shelvey's been bad lately, couldnt quite understand why he was coming on...

I think we lost the momentum and midfield battle with the subs tho.  Think we would have got the 4th if we had of left things.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:57 pm

I was fkg incensed and screaming at the top of my voice when he brought on the two subs. The timing was idiotic. Nothing against Asaidi but Shelvey is another matter and given recent performances should not have been playing. But what I failed to understand was why BR felt the need to change a team that were looking incredibly impressive. Sterling also looked very average (and that's being kind) when he came on.Sorry BR but you lost us the chance to progress in the EL.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Entourage » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Great performance, absolutely gutted to go out on away goals. Suarez's second free kick is out of this world - amazing player and too see a player that upset at the final whistle for a Europa League game shows how much the kid wanted to win.

I've seen people slate Carra for his mistake, was horrific and probably has cost us along with the last 25 minutes in St Petersburg. I do think though that Carra's mistake gave us the attacking intent we needed from the first whistle, until they scored I thought our performance was pretty flat for saying we needed to score 3, when the lads knew we needed 4 they upped it, don't know if that's just me but thats how I felt it seemed.

Rodgers and his substitutes were wrong and he will know he got it wrong looking back, I'm prepared to give him the benefit of doubt seeing as it was his first major European game in management. I do think Shelvey was the only one he got wrong though, Assaidi needed to come on for Hendo, Hendo never looks like he can beat a man and was always looking to come in field. Sterling was poor when he came on as well, that wasn't Rodgers is fault. Wouldn't of minded Suso coming on for Downing looking back.

Allen played well, he looked like the £15million signing he was back in August and September the one who goes hunting for the ball and advances. Expect him to start v Wigan!

Anyway it wasn't to be last night, the fans and players gave it their all but fell just short. The priority now is to perform at that level for the next 11 League games, we need to finish strong and show Suarez why he should stay and be a Liverpool player because after performances like that last night the major clubs are going to be after him in the Summer.

YNWA
Entourage
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games