Who was our best ever supersub? - In honour of supersub!

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby jaypap » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:58 pm

id like to know
if we ever had a lad who ran onto the park as a sub and more than often made a difference to our great side?
any thoughts ?

who was our best ever super sub?
jaypap

Postby tockycol » Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:21 pm

Theres only one jay,
the one and only DAVID FAIRCLOUGH.
you'll never walk alone
tockycol

Postby supersub » Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:24 pm

There is only one possible answer to your question JP.David Fairclough,better known as 'supersub',is your man.A Liverpool lad,Fairclough joined Liverpool straight from school in 1974 and was to play a major role in Liverpool's assault on Europe.He made his debut in November 1975 and went on to make 64 appearances(36 of those as substitute) and to score 34 goals.His greatest moment was undoubtedly the game against St.Etienne in the 1977 quarter-final of the European Cup,when he came on as substitute late in the second half at Anfield to fire Liverpool into the semi-final.He was used with considerable effect by Liverpool,pulling off his track-suit to appear for the last 15 minutes or so of a game.And on countless occassions it proved successful as he either scored or laid on the winning goal.The appearance of Fairclough seemed to act as a lucky omen or at the very least to terrify the opposition.Tall,gangly and carrot-haired,Fairclough was unmistakeable.He was quick and dangerous,prepared to run at defences and carry the ball into the penalty area.It was difficult to shake him offthe ball and he had a knack of being in the right scoring place at the right time.And yet despite his many attributes he really had only one season as a Liverpool regular.In most of his seven playing years at Anfield he appeared only occassionally,with half his games as substitute.He somehow never seemed quite as dangerous when he started a match,and once his Super Sub threat had worn off Liverpool decided to let him go.He went to Canada then played for the Swiss club Basle before returning to England.I use the pseudonym 'supersub' in honour of a Liverpool Legend Mr David Fairclough.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby jaypap » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:55 pm

well super sub
thas pretty much answers my question, rather to ore detail than i couldve imagined...almost to the point where u went into a newspaper archive and retrieved the info and pasted it...which seems a little unlikely, so it was really well saidwritten....... which brings me to my next point....u are either david himself or are related...
its ok mate, u can tell us, ur secret is safe...otherwise why so u know so much detail about our famous supersub?

besides, does anyone remember another supersub we once had for a short while with the initials RR?
jaypap

Postby supersub » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:22 pm

Firstly,to answer a couple of questions;I was a big Davey Fairclough fan, that's why I use 'supersub'.Related.....yes,but only as ardent devotees to the Liverpool religion.Fairclough is involved with the local media here on Merseyside so he,like any ex-footballer,will talk about his career when prompted.Myself,I'm a sponge;I absorb information,or should I say I did:the 90,s were not a particularly fruitful decade so I went and got myself hitched.This had the detrimental effect of curtailing my Liverpool 'nerd' existence,some would say.I certainly never visited an away ground after 1994 onwards but I do read,discuss and breathe Liverpool.You will always catch me outside the Park pub,opposite the Kop,with a bottle of beer in my hand,talking footy.Enough about me; onto RR.
       I assume you're referring to Ronny Rosenthal but he was never considered a 'supersub'.He certainly had an impact when he arrived.Luton Town had dispensed of his services before he came to Liverpool on an extended loan.Rosenthal was immediately effective adding an extra dimension to the Liverpool attack just when it was most needed.He had the ability to hold the ball aa he barged his way into the area,with defenders having no end of trouble in dispossessing him.Joining Liverpool towards the end of the 1989-1990 season,his goals and efforts provided extra fillip Liverpool needed to clinch the title.At the end of the season his loan was turned into a more permanent arrangement.However he never seemed quite as effective and his appearances were limited,usually as a substitute.Who can forget the glaring miss at Aston Villa?Ronny was sold to Tottenham in 1994.Another,more recent,player has a similar story,namely Titi Camara.Where is he now?
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby gaz31 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:14 am

GOOD OLD TITI PLAYS IN PORTUGUL I BELIEVE AND HE STILL CANT GET A GAME!!! :0
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:23 am

That's a shame.He was a breath of fresh air when the team was a bit stale.Although he did seem to flunk at West Ham.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby gaz31 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:30 am

YEAH BUT WEST HAM SEAMED TO FLUNK IN THE PREMIERSHIP AS WELL . ## ## ##  :D
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby jaypap » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:29 am

well ss
uve got me covered mate
and no question u know ur stuff....
but i still say u were our best ever supersub..!!!!

good thing liverpool isnt a trivia club, u'd be getting a starting position...

ps, i was never a real fan of titi...i much preferred jari...
jaypap

Postby supersub » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:55 pm

Jari was a class act but Houllier was too blind too see.He prefers a player like Heskey;I don't need to say anymore!
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby jaypap » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:28 pm

thats because heskey has his head so far up gh's ***** that emile could tell u what gh has for breakfast everyday!
loyalty is a wonderful thing, but nothing speaks like results....gh doesnt have what it takes to sell heskey...
jaypap

Postby gaz31 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:59 am

I THINK THATS UNFAIR JPAPS HE HAS WHAT IT TAKES TO SELL HESKEY BUT HE DOESNT WANT TO SPOIL ANY OTHER CLUBS CHANCES OF WINNING THE TITLE BY LETTING HIM GO .
ANYWAY WHO DO U THINK WANTS HIM :D
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby jaypap » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:45 pm

well gaz
im not sure how to take that
sure i see what u mean by gh not wanting to spoil other sides chances at the title, any side with emile will diminish its chances...but really gh does have the guts to sell him...?
sometimes gh is too nice a guy...im not saying he should be an out and out w#nk#r like fergie, but he needs to move heskey on, the lads had his time and the results are no longer there...time to give others a go...
jaypap

Postby gaz31 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:39 pm

OK I CONCEDE TO YOU ON THE SELLING PART  :D
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby jaypap » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:15 pm

we could win the title if the mancs bought heskey and sold us ruud, right?
jaypap

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games