Match report for today!

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:03 pm

it think gerrard will easily score 15+ this season the way he's playing. one criticism in the past was that gerrard never scored enough (i think he got 5 in the whole of last season), mainly because he was trying to do everybody elses job aswell. the fact he's our top scorer just proves how vital he is to our side. :cool:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:23 pm

He is prone to the old "Hollywood" pass too much for my liking, that is a part of his game he needs to work on, pass selection.

Even the truly great passers knew when the time was right to simply lay it off or take the easy ball.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:31 pm

Bruno Zidane! wrote:Smicer wouldnt thrive if he was playin with pele,maradona,Eusebio and zidane, hes been sh!te since the day we signed him and every season at least one person out of the millions of LFC supporters around the world reckons he is still gonna produce the goods, Smicer is finished his contract runs out at the end of the season and he doesnt even deserve another one, hes already had 56 chances to many to impress and hes failed every time, he would look well out of his depth in this liverpool team and garcia had a better game than hes ever had in a red shirt.

how do you explain his form for his national side then,

i see no coincidence in the fact that they play better football
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:49 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:He is prone to the old "Hollywood" pass too much for my liking, that is a part of his game he needs to work on, pass selection.

Even the truly great passers knew when the time was right to simply lay it off or take the easy ball.

I agree Leon.

If Gerrard learns to add pragmatism and a bit of savvy to his game he'll be a terrific player.

He won't have the legs all his career to go charging around the place so its important he learns now to be more economical in his passing and running.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:51 pm

people have compared gerrard to roy keane and vieira but to me he is more like a young bryan robson the way he is now charging into the penalty area on a more regular basis.

as for his "overambitious passing", stu the red started a thread on it and nearly everyone agreed that gerrard should keep it simpler at times. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:56 pm

There are some Brian Robson elements to Gerrard alright but he is a far better passer than Robson ever was.

Plus, the injuries aren't the same.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:05 pm

I dont give a sh!te about how he does with thew Czech national side, its how he performs for Liverpool what matters for me and over the 5 years he has been here i dont want to go into how big a let down he has been, can you honestly say that in that time he has put 10 or 15 good games in a row together? ??? I know we all have players we like mate and would like to see do well but hes had more than a chance to prove he can cut it in the prem and he quite simply cannot.
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:48 pm

yes i also dont give a ****** about how he does for the bnational side, and i agree, its how he plays for liverpool that counts. thats not my point.

my point is that he is a good player with good ability whose talents are subdues in a team like the liverpool under houllier.

how many times did you used to see smicer receive the ball with his back to goal, the other team have got every player behind the ball. the reason being; our build up play was so ****** and slow, there were no balls for the likes of smicer to run onto while the other teams midfield are scampering back. this is the type of play smicer thrives on and is good at. every single time he'd get the ball, the opposing team would already have all their players back, so for smicer to prove himself, he'd have to turn round, try and beat 4 men and get a cross in or score. impossible when you receive the ball in positions like that-a result of the defensive style of play, and hardly any support from the rest of the midfield or defence.

smicer was a square in a round hole.houllier thought he could make up for the lack of imagination in a team like that by buying a "flair" player. it just doesnt work. i guarantee you that Garcia would be facing the exact same problem if in a houllier side.

incidentally smicer did have good games when houllier chose to be more attacking. the start of last season is an example, he was great until ANOTHER injury wrecked his chances of regular play.

some players are just sh** no matter who's side they're in. smicer has undoubted ability. thats why i was referring to the natinal side. to prove this.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
LFC Super Member

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:21 pm

Ill have to call this one a differance of opinions then mate, hes 30+, hes not gettin any better his contract runs out at the end of the season and hes never done anything to convince me hes good enough.....Rafas changing a lot of LFC and i like the look of where hes goin, hes gettin rid of all the dead wood and hes gettin quality in....I wouldnt waste time hopein Smicer gets a chance when there is plenty of quality players comin in and through the acadamy to go with the great players we already have. If Rafa had come in 2 years ago maybe he would have had another chance but i think its safe to say his reds career is over
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:54 pm

for all i've said i do agree with you r last post that perhaps his days are numbered as he's a lot older than the new bunch, and its maybe not worth trying out to see. also his injuries mean he probably wont be fit. 

i just think he's had a rough deal at a club where the football was non-existent at times
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:21 pm

All this talk of Garcia being greedy is annoying.

He simply wanted to score on his home debeut. He's not greedy at all. If that situation EVER arises again in a game and he's not going for a hatrick i'd put my mortgage on him passing the ball.

The fact is he simply wanted to get off the mark and was a bit anxious. It happens and you learn from it (unless your Milan Baros).
115-1073096938

Postby supersub » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:03 pm

you've certainly got a bee in the bonnet over Baros,stu.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:09 pm

stu_the_red wrote:All this talk of Garcia being greedy is annoying.

He simply wanted to score on his home debeut. He's not greedy at all. If that situation EVER arises again in a game and he's not going for a hatrick i'd put my mortgage on him passing the ball.

The fact is he simply wanted to get off the mark and was a bit anxious. It happens and you learn from it (unless your Milan Baros).

Stu, i practically said the same thing in a post earlier on, the lad just looked desperate to score on his debut and i was made up with his persistance to wanna get on the score sheet, also if hed have scored b4 the time he could have squared the ball to Gerrard im sure he would have, but when your 20 yards out on ye home debut and your 2-0 up with a clear shot on goal whats wrong with wantin a pop at goal....Tell me, would you have squared it, i wouldnt have.....and id have scored!!
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:11 pm

didn't he scored against but was wrongly rulled offside i only caught 5 minutes of the bolton game so i dnt if it was offside or not
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:24 pm

stu_the_red wrote:All this talk of Garcia being greedy is annoying.

stu your comments about baros are becoming equally tiresome
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games