C.Legs match report of Blackburn H

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby andy c legs » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi everyone, I know that we've played this game but I wrote this report as soon as I could on Sunday and after saying in my introductions to you that I write my own match reports, a couple of you suggested that I put them on the forum so, here goes:-

Lethargic reds get lucky draw!

Blackburn H, Mar 8th, 2015.

Liverpool manager Rodgers, made one change for this tie, bringing in Glen Johnson for Morneo. However, within three minutes of the start, he was forced to make another un-expected change.

Rovers came with a no-nonsense approach and just near the half-way, Gestede and Skrtel went up for a ball and the Slovakian came off worse for wear. He seemed to have jarred his neck and lay down for a concerning period of time. Then he was stretchered off, too much applause. Skrtel put his thumbs up to suggest that he was not too seriously hurt. Later he would sit up and see the match from the dressing room and go to hospital in case he had suffered concussion.

On in the granite like defenders place came Kolo Toure, who had aquitted himself well in a cameo role v Man City the previous weekend.

Rovers posed a real threat in the air as in the 12th minute when Mignolet failed to catch the ball following a free-kick. His progress was hindered by him not wearing a cap in the bright sun.

Three minutes later Henderson played the ball through to Sturridge but the number 15 was not quick enough to win the race ahead of Eastwood, the Rovers keeper. On 17 minutes some trickery by Sterling on the left wing, saw him win a corner and from it Coutinho could only hit the ball against a defenders knee. These were half chances.

On 19 minutes Markovic played in Lallana who appeared to be pushed by Kilganon, on the left hand edge of Eastwood's 6 yard box but ref, Mariner, chose to wave away any penalty appeals in front of the Kop.

Rovers had a good spell during which Getsede had a header saved by Mignolet on his right hand 6 yard box and then Sterling snapped into a challenge on the left to deny the same player, as he lined-up a shot.

Can, having a chance to play in his favoured midfield position did little to enhance his reputation during the game (and he was not the only one), coolly left an opponent on his bum, after some silky skill and turn in a cameo moment. Skilfull moments of that ilk were few and far between in a game no Liverpool player could really hold his head held high.

On the half hour mark, Coutinho shot spectacularly high and wide and then Conway did likewise for Rovers on the left of the reds area. It was a great opportunity.

From a corner on Rover's left, Toure smashed the ball into the net but the goal was ruled out for a foul or offside and this after Gestede had appeared to handle inside the area. It was just not going to be the home teams day.

On 35 minutes Coutinho went for another spectacular shot from the right of Rovers area and this too went high and wide.

Liverpool created three more half chances before the break as eight minutes of injury time was played. From Coutinho's long ball Markovic got clear down the right and forced Eastwood to save down at his left near post. From a Sterling run, Sturridge burst into life with a hammer of a shot on the turn which Estwood had to save away at his right hand post and then Johnson, having got free, made a penetrating run down the reds right and from his cross, Lallana put a header predictably wide.

Half-time:- Liverpool 0 v Rovers 0

With the home side defending the Kop in the second half, it seemed that the reds had hardly come out of the dressing room and were at best sixes and sevens and before they knew it Rovers should have scored. From a corner taken on his left, Mignolet punched over, with his outstretched left arm; the close range header from Baptiste had GOAL written all over it.

In response Sturridge had a first time shot saved as Liverpool tried to raise themselves from their evident lethargy.

A change was required to shake thigs up and it came when Balotelli came on for Markovic in the 58th minute. It almost did the trick.

From a Coutinho free-kick on the right of the Rovers area, Toure somehow headed the ball downwards onto Eastwood's left post when it would have been easier to score. It had been a gilt edged chance.

On 72 minutes Balotelli provided a long and high pass for Sturridge to produce a shot which was blocked on Rover's right and eight minutes later the Italian himself had a shot saved.

The home side still huffed and puffed and in the 82nd minute Sturridge had a shot on the turn saved by Eastwood down to his left. Three minutes later, with some pressure being exerted, Coutinho showed flashes of his close control but wasted the opportunity to cross the ball, instead choosing to try and score from an impossible angle as his shot hit Eastwood's right hand side netting with his teammates screaming at him.

With five minutes to go Johnson crossed the ball and Balotelli put his header wide. It was the last chance Liverpool created.

Blackburn held out for the replay they had wanted as Liverpool had failed for the second time in the FA Cup, to overcome Championship opponents at Anfield.

Full-time:- Liverpool 0 v Blackburn Rovers 0

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.  :)
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby Reg » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:23 am

That's great Andy, anyone reading it gets a good idea of all the main happenings rather than the usual 'Johnson's sh!te' style of comment on the matchday thread. After reading it I have a pretty good idea of how the game flowed, which the other thread doesn't provide. Valuable addition to our database, thanks mate and please keep it up.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:56 am

Reg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:23 pm wrote:That's great Andy, anyone reading it gets a good idea of all the main happenings rather than the usual 'Johnson's sh!te' style of comment on the matchday thread. After reading it I have a pretty good idea of how the game flowed, which the other thread doesn't provide. Valuable addition to our database, thanks mate and please keep it up.

But Johnson is sh!t...
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby radun5 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:00 am

I agree it gives those of us who have not seen the game a better feeling of how the game went.

My major problem with the report is the title. I have searched throughout the report the luck we had to get the draw, but as Rovers only had one chance, and we had many more, in the end I came to the conclusion the lucky draw referred to Villa in the semifinals  :cool:

Later edit: Maybe my tone was not clear, I also appreciate positively the contribution of the poster.
Last edited by radun5 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
radun5

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:52 am

Great contribution Andy

Would add that if you aim to continue you should start a thread simply labelled something like "Andy's (or C Legs) Match Reports" and put each report in there, it'll save having a new thread for every report.

Once again your effort is much appreciated.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:07 pm

radun5 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:00 am wrote:I agree it gives those of us who have not seen the game a better feeling of how the game went.

My major problem with the report is the title. I have searched throughout the report the luck we had to get the draw, but as Rovers only had one chance, and we had many more, in the end I came to the conclusion the lucky draw referred to Villa in the semifinals  :cool:

Later edit: Maybe my tone was not clear, I also appreciate positively the contribution of the poster.

Had the same thought about the title... It rather looks like we were unlucky to draw...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:08 pm

radun5 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:00 am wrote:I agree it gives those of us who have not seen the game a better feeling of how the game went.

Had the same thought about the title... It rather looks like we were unlucky to draw...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:28 pm

ethanr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:56 pm wrote:
Reg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:23 pm wrote:That's great Andy, anyone reading it gets a good idea of all the main happenings rather than the usual 'Johnson's sh!te' style of comment on the matchday thread. After reading it I have a pretty good idea of how the game flowed, which the other thread doesn't provide. Valuable addition to our database, thanks mate and please keep it up.

But Johnson is sh!t...

Sorry mate, I used a bad example.....  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy c legs » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:30 am

Reg » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:28 pm wrote:
ethanr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:56 pm wrote:

But Johnson is sh!t...

Sorry mate, I used a bad example.....  :laugh:

No problem mate. :;):
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby fivecups » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:05 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:52 am wrote:Great contribution Andy

Would add that if you aim to continue you should start a thread simply labelled something like "Andy's (or C Legs) Match Reports" and put each report in there, it'll save having a new thread for every report.

Once again your effort is much appreciated.

Great report, thanks for this Andy and look forward to future reads. Good suggestion by Woof, you can have your own thread!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - Games