What happened in '64 - Not just another man utd thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:08 pm

Hi guys, long time no see!

So I was watching Jimmy Hill's Sunday Supplement a few weeks ago and the "experts" had a brief conversation about our Stevie joining Man Utd. Don't start cracking up just yet, I have a point to make. As I was rolling around on the floor holding trying to sow my sides back together, I heard them mention that the last bit of business, the last time money and players changed hands was in 1964 (i think it was 64, although I was laughing very loud) and it got me wondering a few things...

First off, does anyone know who actually went, and which way did they go? Anyone got a clue because I'm all at sea and it's keeping me up all night. And did anything happen to sour the relationship between the two clubs?

Then I started to wonder about the whole nature of the relationship between our glorious club and that pile of cr@p down the road (no, not Neverton, the other pile of cr@p). Why do we hate the Mancs? You see, I grew up at a time when everyone from Newcastle all the way down to Southampton hated Man Ure and I always figured that was due to jealosy. Man City have far more obvious reasons; jealosy, locality, tribalism and everything that resembles our distaste for those who trudge in and out of Woodison park every week.

But apart from the close quarters, why are the mancs so repulsive and even taking the locality into account, I don't feel too badly about Man City. We can't be jealous, after all, we've won more than they have and not everybody hates us. So why the bad taste when ever we say Man Utd?

True, the games between us are fairly evenly matched and pretty hot blooded, but is that more a product of our annimosity (spelling?) or is our annimosity (spelling again?) caused by the hot blooded performances. It's kind of like chicken and the egg but with more red.

So, what do you think? why do we hate them? Would you say "hate" or "dislike"? It may sound like a dumb question, but really try and mull it over and think about the very nature of the relationship between the two clubs. Can't we all just get along? (probably not)

VIVA LA RAFALUTION! VIVA LOS PODEROSO ROJAS! E VIVA LIVERPOOL!!!

:Oo:
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:37 pm

Bill Shankly signed Phil Chisnall from Man U in 1964.He stayed three seasons and played in eight games.We obviously havent forgiven them for that bit of business. :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:57 pm

greenred wrote:Bill Shankly signed Phil Chisnall from Man U in 1964.He stayed three seasons and played in eight games.We obviously havent forgiven them for that bit of business. :D

So are we now going to treat Leeds the same way over the transfer of a certain H.K.?  :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:20 am

I don't know what it is.  I just know I fucking hate them.  It's not even because I support Liverpool.  I remember collecting Panini stickers in 1986, as a six year old boy, and seeing this other team that played in red spread out over the pages.  But not in an 'Arsenal' or 'Nottingham Forest' red, these fuckers wore their red with a competitive arrogance.  I can't put my finger on it, would you believe that was my first encounter with Manchester United, but they just annoyed me from day one really.  Just a feeling you get I suppose.

First game I went to against them was a 3-3 draw at Anfield in the 1987/88 season when Gordon Strachan broke from midfield and equalised for them with about five minutes to go and made the game a draw.  Who the fuck did they think they were?

It would be interesting if anyone could find any real evidence or stories as to what started this hatred between the two clubs though. 

I'm sure their jealousy, stupid fucking lazy accent, The Beatles; and the fact that they will never be Liverpool, no matter how many times they say to themselves "We are the biggest and the best", no matter what the conveniently forgotten history books; and statistics pre-1992 and SKY say, Liverpool are by far the most successful, romantic and worldwide supported team English team that has ever set foot on a football pitch.

Oh, and five European Cups.
jonnymac1979

Postby laza » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:06 am

Disliked them from the 80s, i guess it was that aggrogant attitude that they still saw themselves as biggest club despite their glorys era being way behind them. Still kept trying to buy themselves championship as far as i was concerned during that time. Sadly with arrival of that canny Scot they actually had someone who took local talent and used those deep pockets of theirs to bring them back on top.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:07 am

I think I grew up in the hardest time - the 90s. As a kid football is really really the most important thing. Can you imagine going to school every monday, or tuesady thanks to monday night football :angry: , and having a class of mancs waiting for you as you'd just :censored: up the title chance again (Coventry at home ?)? They were awful times, every little twa* was a utd fan without ever going. And what made this time of growing up even harder to take was the fact I had missed the 80s and had to put up with in my opinion a much more talented LIVERPOOL team compared t Utd's fuc* about and blow title chances. My first memory of the scum is also a 3-3 draw, when we were 3 down at half time at Anfield. And there was THAT game at wembley :( . God i hate them......
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:26 am

This is a tale of two cities,one a major port,with an influx of immigrants,[The Chinese and Irish to name but two]The gateway to the Americas,a city with diverse cultures.The other a glorified mill town,whose population was swelled by clog wearing fortune hunters during the industrial revolution.A rivalry beetween the two cities grew,as they both strived to be the capital of the north.This rivalry is as strong as ever today,not just in football stadiums but in all walks of life.Manchester has thrived in recent years,due to forward looking councils while
Liverpool councils dithered Manchester reaped the rewards.[government grants,airport extension etc.]

I mention these things to show,our hatred of Manchester is not a new thing,but goes back generations.After the aircrash at Munich,the whole country seemed to support Manchester United.They became the darlings of the press and still are.Consequentley I believe,Liverpool FC
Never recieved the recognition,they deserved from the media during our glory years.Picking up a morning paper after a particularly good Liverpool performance,Iwould be dismayed to see headlines like,United skipper has haircut.I know this is an exageration,but the Manchester based sports writers added to our discontent.Two Manchester United managers have been knighted for their services to football,a joke when you consider what Bob Paisley achieved with
Liverpool.Granada TV produced programmes like Kick off,supposedly a North West football programme it was so bias towards United it was laughable.

You may wonder why,I havent mentioned Manchester City.Simple really,like Everton they are of no consquence,both Everton and City play second fiddle to their more illustrious neighbours.
Make no mistake,this dislike goes both ways,infact Iwould suggest that Man Utd fans are obbsesed with anything that is "Scouse".You only have to listen them Stand up if you hate Scousers seems to be their most popular song.As I have already said this contempt for each other goes back years and I for one wont be extending the hand of friendship.
84-1106852058

Postby big al » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:05 pm

Heres a simple fact  Man U are a great football club. Love them or loathe them, they are exceptional in world football just like Liverpool and a dozen or so others across the globe. I think what makes them different and easy to hate is that under Ferguson they have been ruthless in acheieving their objectives.  They have threatened, coearsed, lied and cheated their way to priemiership titles.  Every official in the country craps themselves when they have to go to Old Trafford.  The dislike of Man U is not soley based on History its also based in the Man U fans arogance.  I have never met a bigger bunch of ignorant, stupid people in all my life.  They are this way because deep in their own hearts they know that a club 30 odd miles west cast a giant shadow over them.  The fact is that in English football the sun rises in the West and sets in the East.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:37 pm

welcome back big al :buttrock
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby neil » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:53 pm

You wanna listen to this p.rick i know, "we could've had Alonso and there is talk we are considering taking Gerrard" absolute f.eckin cuckoo land s.*i*e but they all really believe they can have who they want because they percieve themselves as the biggest and best club in the world. He talks of game plans and tactics like he is preaching to witless baboons. No, don't get me started.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HistoryGirl » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:25 pm

I've always hated Man Utd and will continue to do so. They call themselves the biggest club in the world but they aren't and never were. the current team is the worst ever. Most of the fans are arrogant and are just glory-hunters shows how much they know about football lol- bugger all.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Justice for the 96

Blog
HistoryGirl
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:39 am

I hate Man U because of the sheer arrogance of the entire setup.

From the Manager to the fans, they are so full of themselves, preaching that any loss is unfair, bullying refs, buying titles, etc.
That Scottish tw*t Red-nose just cannot bring himself to give us credit, no matter what the circumstances. Honestly - we could batter them 35-0, and he's say "Liverpool only need to play for 5 minutes" and "We were unlucky not to get a draw".
Sour b*stard.
Anyhoooo:
Here's a brilliant little line from "Big Al":

"The fact is that in English football the sun rises in the West and sets in the East. "

Too right.
:;):

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:11 pm

I have always hated Man U from starting secondary school. I think at heart its all Eusebio's fault. Last few mins before extra time, clean through only Stepney, who is on his knees to beat and he hits his shot straight at Stepney. Match goes to extra time and Mancs win. From then on no matter how cr*p they were ,it was always " Champions of Europe". By the time we won the European Cup the hate was burned into our hearts. We have won it 5 times and still the bastds wont shut up.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion