Wenger and houllier - The difference

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:07 pm

Plain and simple for all to see

Wenger - locates talent and signs them. The timescale is pretty much you hear about it and it is done and dusted within a matter of days or sometimes maybe weeks. He signs the players quick and cheap. The player more often than not proves to be a bargain, sometimes a World Class talent

Houllier - locates talent and lets every man and his dog know he's interested. By the time the deal is done the selling club has completely taken the p1ss with the transfer fee and the player ends up over-priced more often than not. The success of the signed player is usually inversely proportional to the fee

Example - the Van Persie and Cisse transfers - just think when you first heard about them and what happened. The Cisse transfer is set to go ahead and we've all known about it for over a year at least - the fee reported to be £14m (not often they're far out) We hear about Van Persie in the last week or so and the player costs in the region of just £3m - take note Houllier.

I believe the same has happened before. When we do make swift transfer moves we still end up paying too much, but when you make it so that every man and his dog knows about a transfer months and even years in advance, then you're asking to be taken for a ride
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:29 pm

amen to that. considering the two came from relatively similar backgrounds it's quite embarassing to compare the two. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby oldredeyes » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:35 pm

You are right about the different approaches Owzat - and Wenger is far and away the best tactical manager in the premiership - both on and off the pitch.
GH seems to think that by creating massive press coverage about his intended 'Buys' he is giving the fans something to get excited about.
What he is really doing is using his 'get out of Jail card' by telling the fans ..'OK we are rubbish at the moment - but I've got this big super hero coming soon who will save our lives'.
Of course what it really does is put even more pressure on the poor sods he buys who cannot live up to GH's wild predictions - and they play like the hopeless bunch of misfits we have on the books now.
There are very big differences between Wenger and GH and the biggest one is that one man had a vision and knew how to turn it into reality.
The other had the same vision and doesn't have a bloody clue how to achieve it.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:36 pm

He opens himself up to look stupid too, just look at the Boumsong farce. We are made a laughing stock because of Houllier's transfer debacles, it is about time France was made a no-go area for Houllier :(
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:41 pm

houllier just seems to heap too much pressure on the guys we're signing by labelling them as the next big thing. this is despite the fact that most fans may never have heard of them and just take his word for it.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:45 pm

I don't understand how Wenger buy cheap players from anywhere, why we always paid a lot of money to buy new players like Cisse etc.

Arsenal bought Van Persie for 3m, but he is worth 8m and Clichy got it on cheap, I think AW bought him about 250k from AS Cannes. Now Clichy has impressed me this season.

I reckon AW hired loads of scouts and send them to Europe and perhap South America, AW always keep on young French Players from French Academy called Clairfontaine, can't spell the place. Sorry lads.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:50 pm

Trouble is we need a mixture of youth and experience, young players and players in their prime. What Houllier has done is got the mixture wrong. manu got it right, although the "Fergie's Fledglings" myth is a bit far fetched. He built a solid base around Schmeichel, Pallister, Bruce, Irwin, Keane, Robson and Cantona, with young talent filling some of the spaces. Eventually the younger players - Beckham, Giggs, Neville, Scholes and Butt became the backbone. What manu have lacked in recent years is the next generation, Fergie has obsessed over big money buys to win the CL again.

We have done it all wrong. Had Houllier bought more wisely and kept some of the developing talent, then we could have moved forward. Instead he sold off Wright, Fowler, Thompson and Matteo in favour of his French Foreign Legion. I'm not saying it definitely would have worked, but I doubt we'd be worse off than we are at the moment.

FFs Bolton fans on www.footballforums.net/forums are taking the p1ss out of our team with claims that Riccy is better than Riise, Jaaskelainen is the pick of the keepers, Compo is better than Hamann and Okocha would make a combined XI. Come prove them wrong, the thread is the older of the two "Rivaldo to Bolton" threads and sadly the local Liverpool members have barely lifted a finger to help me repel the cr@p coming from the surprisingly large Bolton muppet support on there
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:51 pm

I have said it before and I'll say it again, GH has an unhealthy obsession with the media. He courts the tabloids to talk himself up, then slates them when they print deflamatory stories.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SantaGiveHoullierTheSack » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:30 pm

Difference between Wegner and Houllier...?
One have a superb understanding of the game and equipped with a tactical football brain and like to have his team playing flowing and attractive football while the other is an English teacher pretending to be a football manager.
Nighmare... :angry:
SantaGiveHoullierTheSack

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:46 pm

I was aiming for the transfer perspective, there are a great many differences - Wenger has won the league, Wenger has tactical nous, Wenger doesn't sign *****, Wenger doesn't talk *****, Wenger doesn't persist with the failed..........
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:53 pm

I agree that GH puts too much pressure on his signings to perform. Just look at cheyrou, the so called ''next zidane'' who has turned out to be the next typical houllier signing.
Even on the pitch Wenger and houllier seem worlds apart; it seems to me that GH is to nice and if our players come in at half time 4-0 down against wolves he wont criticise them. No, instead he just sticks to the same s##t tactics. Now Wenger on the other hand is a complete ba#ta#d. Exactly what is needed in a manager ie. an authority figure. He uses the right tactics and gives his players the proper mentality to win week-in, week-out!
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:13 pm

What is wrong with this forum at the moment? SO many ***** threads seeing the decent threads shoot down at a hell of a rate of knots. Progress - not in my book :(
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:55 am

Absolutely SPOT ON Owzat !!!!!!!!! WHY do we persist in paying top whack for unproven players , 6 M for biscan, 10 Mill for Diouf, 5 Mil for Diao for God's sake !!!!!!!!!! :(

Its not rocket science, if you play out your transfer dealings in the media the price is bound to shoot up but the amazing thing uis , we STIILL go out and buy them high, I seriously think GH  actuially believes what he reads in the papers and acts on it ........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:57 am

Alan Smith should be a steal at 3 or 4 million, i bet you Man u get him !!!!!!!!!!
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:59 am

alan smith isn't what we need. he's not gonna score you 15-20 a season. viduka's a better option than smith.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion