We got the best midfield in the world? - Then name it....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:02 pm

With Gerrard back to his best, Lucas looking very impressive and Alonso still to come back, what is our best midfield line up.

Mash is playing well at the moment, Kewell is now back fit. Riise played on Sunday, not to mention Momo, Benayoun, Babel, Pennant and Aurelio.

So considering all are fit who starts? What formation do we play and who do you leave out?

We are beginning to look very strong in the middle and its a nice little selection problem for Rafa
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:11 pm

I say we rotate to accomodate the players each game ! tee hee
(runs and hides)
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:50 pm

Without a shadow of a doubt, IMO, our best midfield would be:

Kewell           Mascherano            Alonso              Gerrard
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:23 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Without a shadow of a doubt, IMO, our best midfield would be:

Kewell           Mascherano            Alonso              Gerrard

On paper I'd agree with you - that looks the best.

However, now that Gerrard is settled and playing well at centre-mid, I wouldn't be thinking of moving him back out to the right.  I think he's superb wherever he plays, but he lost form whenever he kept being shifted about positions last season.  For this season I'd keep him in the middle.

I'd go for:

Kewell     Alonso/Mascherano  Gerrard     Benayoun

Mascherano's more useful in tight away games, Alonso better at Anfield.  Kewell when fit gives us the best balance on the left and Benayoun is more consistent than Pennant/Babel at the moment.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:34 pm

in a 4-4-2 id say

RM Pennant CM. Gerrard © CM. Alonso LM. Kewell

but i think we could have any excellent 4-3-3 like this

CM. Mascherano CM.Alonso
           CM.Gerrard

RWF. Babbel                 LWF.Kewell
                 CF.Torres
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:35 pm

I agree Bad Bob, the best midfield must not only be fluid and score goals, also must be solid as rock, and if you have just one man behind Gerrard when he lurks the area, and wingers like Kewell, then you're not solid as rock.

Thus

Kewell (as winger)-----------------------Gerrard (as RM)

-----------Alonso  Mascherano--------

Any day of the week, but I wish the left side had the level of the other three names. So far Babel hasn't done enough to remove the place in my favourite choice for the left.

Disclaimer: NOT THAT Gerrard doesn't know playing centre mid, but we all know what he loves doing most, stepping into the area and shooting range efforts. If he has to play CM then I'd ask him to measure those attacks and watch his back more, and I wouldn't like that because there are great midfielders that can do that job.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:45 pm

I'm in total agreement with Bob and Sabre.

Alonso      Mascherano

Gerrard                                                             Kewell.

Anything other than that is a step down.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby daxy1 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:53 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I'm in total agreement with Bob and Sabre.

Alonso      Mascherano

Gerrard                                                             Kewell.

Anything other than that is a step down.

agree with that  :nod

how good does that look to have them on your team  :buttrock

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:59 pm

Very.

Especially when you consider the results we've been acquiring without 3 of them at times.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:59 pm

i agree that the lineup with Gerrard on the right is strongest on paper, but can anyone seriously see it happening anytime soon? coz i cant, Gerrards playing exceptional in the centre and has made it clear he prefers it there so i cant see Rafa moving him around at the moment.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:12 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:i agree that the lineup with Gerrard on the right is strongest on paper, but can anyone seriously see it happening anytime soon? coz i cant, Gerrards playing exceptional in the centre in his and has made it clear he prefers it there so i cant see Rafa moving him around at the moment.

Correct.

Rafa would have to be a fool to move Gerrard out of the middle at the moment.

The reason the team is so fluent going forward at the moment is that there are so many options.  When you have attacking players on the flanks plus Gerrard breaking from the centre we look a better side overall.

Playing Alonso and Mascherano together would be daft imo.  Neither like breaking forward, both would sit deep and it would invite unnecessary pressure.  Gerrard's link-play with Torres is flourishing - why tinker with that by putting Gerrard wide now?

I can't believe we are playing our best attacking football in ages and people reckon we should move Gerrard back out to the right??

I was in favour of that a few seasons ago when Alonso and Sissoko were playing well and we didn't have a decent right-mid, but not now.

If we stick to the spine of Reina-Carra-Gerrard-Torres down the centre of the team for the vast majority of games and rotate players around them, we'll take some stopping.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skatesy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:12 pm

Kewell     Alonso/Mascherano  Gerrard     Benayoun
skatesy

Postby RichardLFC1 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:31 pm

Based on form recently

Benayoun          Gerrard         Mascherano           Kewell

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:14 pm

It depends to a certain extent on who we're playing, where we are playing and any outstanding circumstances to consider (mainly form and fitness). At home as a rough guide, I'd sooner see:

Kewell      Alonso/Mascherano        Gerrard         Benayoun

Especially against sides who come to Anfield intent on defending, and doing little else. I think you need that bit extra guile and craft, and Benayoun can provide this.

I'd sooner see:

Kewell      Alonso       Mascherano       Gerrard

as our midfield quartet away from home, and particularly against the top teams.
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:41 pm

john craig wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:i agree that the lineup with Gerrard on the right is strongest on paper, but can anyone seriously see it happening anytime soon? coz i cant, Gerrards playing exceptional in the centre in his and has made it clear he prefers it there so i cant see Rafa moving him around at the moment.

Correct.

Rafa would have to be a fool to move Gerrard out of the middle at the moment.

The reason the team is so fluent going forward at the moment is that there are so many options.  When you have attacking players on the flanks plus Gerrard breaking from the centre we look a better side overall.

Playing Alonso and Mascherano together would be daft imo.  Neither like breaking forward, both would sit deep and it would invite unnecessary pressure.  Gerrard's link-play with Torres is flourishing - why tinker with that by putting Gerrard wide now?

I can't believe we are playing our best attacking football in ages and people reckon we should move Gerrard back out to the right??

I was in favour of that a few seasons ago when Alonso and Sissoko were playing well and we didn't have a decent right-mid, but not now.

If we stick to the spine of Reina-Carra-Gerrard-Torres down the centre of the team for the vast majority of games and rotate players around them, we'll take some stopping.

I see what you're saying mate, but the truth is that I don't base my opinion on recent games.

During our blip, I said that I didn't think Mascherano and Gerrard are not compatible and that we'd see more of them. And so we have and they have played really well.

Back then playing them together wasn't the worst idea of the world, and the fact we've got good results now doesn't make it  the best idea of the world neither.

As for the bit you say about playing Alonso and Mascherano together, well, if it's about results we have the 6-0 against Derby to counter that arguement.

Playing Gerrard in the middle is probably the best option for him, and a great option for the team aswell in some games, but if we want to have the three golden names in the pitch, the only way is using Gerrard in the right. Is there a problem with that? I guess so because it was discussed for ages 2 years ago here, but quite frankly I recall Gerrard making a lot of damage from that position.

Of course, if Gerrard is really unsettled in that position, well you always have to bear in mind that, but I don't see reasons why he shouldn't like it. He's not less captain, nor less player, nor less important for playing there, it's just happens that playing there we get one of the best configurations available, with the three golden names in it.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion