Rafa interview with marca

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:28 pm

The last paragraph is a bit worrying  :glare:

Rafa Benítez: "We are looking at some players from La Liga"

The Spanish manager Rafael Benítez, of Liverpool, says he is interested in some players of Spanish Liga, even some of Real Madrid, although he thinks that they will be out of the reach economically of the British club

"We are looking at many players of the Spanish league, but not as many as the press has published", declared, simultaneously that denied the confirmation of the draftee of Jose Manuel Reina, goalkeeper of Villarreal, "is a series of goalkeepers who we are following and Reina is one of them, we are close, but he is still not confirmed".

As far as players of Real Madrid, it affirmed that the arrival of Morientes to the Liverpool "has done that much, that the players of Real Madrid pay attention to us. But we know our limitations and there are players who we cannot afford and there are others that although we do not want them, the press say we do as they look for a move'".

"Era of sense common to be in the Champions"
As far as the place assured in Liga de Campeones, it showed that "it was common sense", although the obligation to play in the qualifiers is a problem "that changes everything, because we had given vacations to some of the players between the 4th and 12th July and we now start on July 13th, so we must change everything now", affecting to its participation in the Match Santiago Bernabeu and the Asian tour.

In his opinion, the fact that the champion did not have an assured place the following year considers that "it had neither feet nor head", "this new rule change is welcomed by everyone"

It would like to be selecting Spanish

In the long term, he would like to fulfill his dream to end up training a great Spanish team, "I believe that all the staff i took with me would like to be at a great Spanish team in the future, one of whom could ne Real Madrid. But I do not like to speak too much about that, because, I am really, really happy at Liverpool and would like to make the club very important again"
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:34 pm

The International post maybe what Rafa is looking at long term (and why not he is Spanish afterall)
but Hey! When he leaves and he surely will,  it will be after he restores Liverpool back to being one of the elite clubs in world football! so try not to worry just enjoy!
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby zarababe » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:32 pm

.. difficult to take as read what is in the press.. a few months ago he said he wud be here for 15 years .. :) All we can say is that we know he is focused and commited to LFC for the next important few years.. :)
Last edited by zarababe on Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:48 pm

He's obviously talking about Real Madrid and that is perfectly acceptable to me.
The man is a realist and the effective lifespan of Premiership managers is not "for life". He could win all four trophies next season but lose the plot the season after and the modern "supporters" will be baying for his blood and demanding he was sacked  and the next wonder boy brought in.

The fickleness of todays supporters never ceases to amaze me, on the one hand they are celebrating the greatest final they will ever see and within minutes they are slagging off his proposed signings. They honestly think they know better than the man who got us the cup for keeps.

Raffa is the first REAL manager we have  had since Paisley and he's had a much harder job than Bob did. He will end up in Madrid because he's Spanish and loves RM, if a scouser had done the same job in Spain and said he wanted to manage LFC would anyone be surprised ?

He will leave , whenever, but he will leave a better club than he came to. With better players, a better Academy , a much better attitude.

Enjoy the novelty of a learning manager while he's here, 3 years, 5 years or 10 years. He's good, support him !
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:59 pm

I'm not expecting him to be an alex ferguson. He is still very young so he can have a great career as manager of Liverpool, and then Real Madrid, equally. I think he knows RM is not an ideal manager's playground recently.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Huck » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:43 am

By now I cant see Rafa joining RM...I always insists on the same thing but believe me, here nobody has ever talked about that possibility, even when the Spanish media was continuosly publishing names of possibles coaches for next season (before confirming the current one), so, stay calm and enjoy him for long

:;):

By the way, after the interviews of Rafa in Spain this week , many newspapers are talking abput the possibility for u to sign Guti, from RM, an excellent player that has annoiunced his intention to leave due to the coach´s lack of confidence in him. In theory, Roma and Liverpool are the closest clubs to him by now....what do u think? do u know him?
Merengues and Reds together
Huck

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:02 am

JohnBull wrote:He's obviously talking about Real Madrid and that is perfectly acceptable to me.
The man is a realist and the effective lifespan of Premiership managers is not "for life". He could win all four trophies next season but lose the plot the season after and the modern "supporters" will be baying for his blood and demanding he was sacked  and the next wonder boy brought in.

The fickleness of todays supporters never ceases to amaze me, on the one hand they are celebrating the greatest final they will ever see and within minutes they are slagging off his proposed signings. They honestly think they know better than the man who got us the cup for keeps.

Raffa is the first REAL manager we have  had since Paisley and he's had a much harder job than Bob did. He will end up in Madrid because he's Spanish and loves RM, if a scouser had done the same job in Spain and said he wanted to manage LFC would anyone be surprised ?

He will leave , whenever, but he will leave a better club than he came to. With better players, a better Academy , a much better attitude.

Enjoy the novelty of a learning manager while he's here, 3 years, 5 years or 10 years. He's good, support him !

Superb post John and your summary of the modern day "supporter" is sadly true in a lot of cases.

Also your analogy of Raffa and his love of RM is spot on especially when you make the comparison to how we wopuld feel if a Scouser managing overseas made a similar comment.

Raffa has already earned the respect of many at LFC for the professional and dignified method of working and whatever happens post Benitez his legacy at the club will go down in history.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:03 am

JohnBull wrote:He's obviously talking about Real Madrid and that is perfectly acceptable to me.

Agree with Dalglish, superb post  :bowdown
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:47 am

Large ditto's on ice on all round from me for the guys who praised up this spot on observation of modern football.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby policy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:29 am

I agree with you all, and CGGY as well.

I think that there is joy in the journey. The ultimate ending (how long he will stay) is no one or anyone's guess. RM are not going to treat him well if he ever joins them. But as long as he is one of us, let's enjoy it.

And Guti is dope. But really, who knows what the hell is going on in Madrid anymore? It is one extremely confusing mess to this outsider. The talent that they gather together on one team is amazing.

The fact that they aren't the dominators of the universe is something that I can't understand. Huck, if you can give us the gist of what is going on, I would sure like to know.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby Paul C » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:08 am

I just don't know why anyone would take the Real Madrid job cos their managers only last 5 mins before their sacked, even if their successful ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:32 pm

I think it is inevitable that we will one day lose Rafa to his first love, Real Madrid. However, the boss has formed such a bond with the lfc support (who loved him before May 25th) that i feel he will be at the heart of the club for sometime to come yet.

The Madrid job is available just about every two years. I'm sure Rafa is fully aware of this.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:35 pm

well lets hope its in 15 years time or so, and carra goes to management school, because I would love him to be our manager in the future  :buttrock  :cool:
James Carragher bootle born and bred Liverpool F.C. manager how cool that would be  :love:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:26 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:well lets hope its in 15 years time or so, and carra goes to management school, because I would love him to be our manager in the future  :buttrock  :cool:
James Carragher bootle born and bred Liverpool F.C. manager how cool that would be  :love:

Imagine the half-time team talks. You'd have these foreign blokes studying English for two years before their transfer from Dukla Prague, only to discover on arrival that the language they had so painstakeingly learnt over those cold winter nights bore absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to the frantic urgings of their new manager. No use asking the star striker, a recruit from the West Ham youth team for any clarification either. He's born and brought up in Essex and has not any resemblance of a clue either.
Something tells me that despite this JC would get his point accross in one way or another though.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:22 am

Another interview with marca, lol @ fergie  :laugh:

by Fernando Alvarez, Marca

Have you come down the clouds yet?

I tried not to climb up, but i have to admit that when i arrived in Liverpool, the euphoric atmosphere and the people made me realize the situation.  It's been impressive, but we're already working for the future.

What has been the most surprising congratulations you've received?

Many people from all over England and Spain have congratulated me.  Ferguson sent me a very curious one with a tactical evaluation, based on his role as a manager, of Liverpool's trajectory in the competition and on the final to be exact.

Finally we know that Liverpool will be able to defend the title.

It was common sense, although the obligation of having to play the qualification rounds shakes everything up, because we had given the players their holidays until the 4th of July and we start play in the 12th or 13th, so we will have to change everything. UEFA changing a norm that was wrong to begin with is a good sign at least.

And the next objective? The Premier?

The next objective is to build a good team to be competitive. The reality is that we have to improve a lot, and make some changes.  We need to rebuild the squad and strengthen some positions.

In one year Liverpool has won the most important trophy in Europe, maybe the other four other that you signed for are too many?

I'm satisfied with what was done. It was a good job, but i still think there's many things to improve. To adjust what we have to improve on, i rather have a long contract. I want to win many titles with Liverpool, where I've been well treated and respected.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion