Rafa announces changes - Scouting revamp

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby drummerphil » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:10 pm

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is confident he has put in place the right structure at Anfield to ensure he is well prepared to make significant signings in the future.

The Spaniard has come in for criticism for the way the club handled some of their failed transfer negotiations, notably those of Michael Owen and Portuguese midfielder Simao.

After making some early-season signings Benitez stressed he was holding out for a central defender and right winger to complete his squad but neither failed to arrive as he ran out of time in his search.

However, having overhauled the scouting system at Anfield the former Valencia boss believes he is now better prepared to swoop for players earlier and he hopes to see a difference as early as January.

Frank McParland and Paco Herrera now front the club's huge scouting operation and are responsible for co-ordinating the vast array of scouts who are scouring the globe on the Reds' behalf.

"We have changed the entire scouting system and replaced some of the old scouts," said Benitez.

"We now have scouts working tirelessly on our behalf right around the world and we have situated these in what we believe to be the most important countries.

"This new system we've put in place means they can now submit their reports to us easier and quicker, whether they are in Argentina or in this country.

"The information they provide us with is very important and could be the first step towards us signing a new player.

"At this early stage we are yet to reap the benefits of these changes. This summer has come too soon for us. The new system has only just been put into place so it has not been easy but maybe when the transfer window opens again we will notice a difference.

Benitez added on the club's website: "The job of a scout is really important, in fact I'd say it is one of the most important at the club.

"If you have good scouts then you are one step ahead when it comes to trying to sign up good young players early in their career or established players who are good enough to step straight into the first team.

"It's all about timing and you must get in there before other clubs. The transfer market is very competitive and a lot of the time you are competing with clubs who have a lot more money."
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:07 pm

this is good news then,this will put an end to the bad signings and bad scouting and the disregard of the academy of the houllier era,rafa is going to turn this club around from the academy to the first team and that is only good for the future
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:34 pm

drummerphil wrote:Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is confident he has put in place the right structure at Anfield to ensure he is well prepared to make significant signings in the future.

The Spaniard has come in for criticism for the way the club handled some of their failed transfer negotiations, notably those of Michael Owen and Portuguese midfielder Simao.

After making some early-season signings Benitez stressed he was holding out for a central defender and right winger to complete his squad but neither failed to arrive as he ran out of time in his search.

However, having overhauled the scouting system at Anfield the former Valencia boss believes he is now better prepared to swoop for players earlier and he hopes to see a difference as early as January.

Frank McParland and Paco Herrera now front the club's huge scouting operation and are responsible for co-ordinating the vast array of scouts who are scouring the globe on the Reds' behalf.

"We have changed the entire scouting system and replaced some of the old scouts," said Benitez.

"We now have scouts working tirelessly on our behalf right around the world and we have situated these in what we believe to be the most important countries.

"This new system we've put in place means they can now submit their reports to us easier and quicker, whether they are in Argentina or in this country.

"The information they provide us with is very important and could be the first step towards us signing a new player.

"At this early stage we are yet to reap the benefits of these changes. This summer has come too soon for us. The new system has only just been put into place so it has not been easy but maybe when the transfer window opens again we will notice a difference.

Benitez added on the club's website: "The job of a scout is really important, in fact I'd say it is one of the most important at the club.

"If you have good scouts then you are one step ahead when it comes to trying to sign up good young players early in their career or established players who are good enough to step straight into the first team.

"It's all about timing and you must get in there before other clubs. The transfer market is very competitive and a lot of the time you are competing with clubs who have a lot more money."

Benítez is an extremely intelligent man.

The idea above explains how he was able to discover such great players as Aimar and Oliveira for example, during his time at Valencia.

Livepool have a VERY bright future under Benítez, I am absolutely convinced, and have been since the very first day he arrived.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby daddyo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:39 pm

Yep. This certainly seems like a step in the right direction.

Its also good that we get informed about these things- the 'behind the scenes stuff' that happens and to which little credit is given by fans who don't look further than the surface, they take a great deal of thought, planning and time and goes to re-inforce exactly why rafa was appointed in the first place.

Good one.
daddyo

Postby Jari's mullet » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:05 pm

It sounds like the club has undergone some big changes behind the scene.  The article puts a very positive view on the scouting side.  I have no doubt that it will eventually pay off
Jari's mullet

Postby JC_81 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:34 pm

I think if the new-look younger reserve team produces about one or even two players each season for the first team squad then that would be a success.

It will be next season at the earliest before we see any of the current crop that Rafa has brought in be used in the first team (with the exception of the Carling cup where we'll get a preview of things to come).
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jari's mullet » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:56 pm

Yeah, I like everyone else am looking forward to the Carling Cup to catch a glimpse of our current crop of youngsters
Jari's mullet

Postby liverpoolrich » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:01 pm

Jari's mullet wrote:Yeah, I like everyone else am looking forward to the Carling Cup to catch a glimpse of our current crop of youngsters

when we put our youngsters out against burnley in the fa cup we took a early exit
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby stmichael » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:03 pm

I think this is the way forward. Arsenal have shown this to be successful. Whilst you would always want your players coming through to be local, in this day and age it isn't always possible and only the best of the best will come through. Harsh but true.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Red Rafa Revolution » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:13 pm

in today inflated transfer market this is the best way forward. i believe in another season or two we will reap the benefits of this change.
Bill Shankly after beating Everton in the '71 cup semi : "Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid."
Red Rafa Revolution

Postby jammydodger » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:53 pm

I'm pleased that Liverpool have finally implemented a vast and thorough scouting system. In Rafa's first season, with his scouts employed we have SIGNED more youngsters than we have under our last two managers put together.

I hope this is an omen for things to come.
jammydodger

Postby ALONSO_14 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:22 am

yeah rafa seems to be here for the long haul, im impressed by the youngsters rafa has brought in over the past few months and bringing in this young talent from around europe shows that hes building well for the future. i cant wait to see what they can do in the league cup
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:09 am

yes...we should be looking at players from all possible regions. Glad that rafa has mentioned argentina......(ie...we are keeping a look-out of players from south america)

Some of the best players in the world come from there.....

actually i would be happy if we spend most of our money on youth development than buying expensive players (ie...10 million on simao).
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:13 am

Today there was an article that we're in the chase with Sevilla for a defender from Sao Paulo[spelling,Brazilian club]. Madrid were supposed to sign him but they got Ramos instead. Forgot his name.[We're supposedly going to try to sign him in January]
Last edited by A.B. on Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:30 am

u talking about this guy ? He is already one of the best right backs in the world as we speak... But will not be cheap. I know the scums are after him.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=341563&cc=4716

Cicinho confident of joining Real Madrid

MADRID, Sept 4 (Reuters) - Brazil defender Cicinho is confident of completing a move Real Madrid in January, after the Primera Liga club secured an option to buy him from Sao Paulo.

NealSimpson/Empics
Cicinho: January switch?
'I am looking forward to arriving in Madrid and delighted that one of the best clubs in the world have moved for me,' Cicinho told sports daily Marca on Sunday.

'It is certain that I will arrive in Madrid in January after I have tried to win the World Club Championship with Sao Paulo.'

That tournament takes place in Japan in December.

The agreement with Sao Paulo allows Real to buy the 25-year-old attacking right-back, if they wish, at some point in the future.

Real have already reinforced their defence this summer with the versatile Uruguayan Carlos Diogo seen as arriving to cover for current first-choice Michel Salgado.

Last Wednesday's 27million signing of Spain international Sergio Ramos, who can also play on the right of defence, has not dimmed Cicinho's confidence at completing his move.

'I respect my colleagues and always have done but I hope by working hard and giving my all I will earn a place in the side,' added Cicinho.

'I want to make life difficult for the coach. I am used to fighting for my place with great players, like I have to do with Cafu in the Brazil side.'

Cicinho, who was part of the Brazil side which crushed Argentina 4-1 to win the Confederations Cup in June, had been linked with several other European sides including Manchester United, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion