Paul tomkins' season preview

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:16 pm

PAUL TOMKINS' SEASON PREVIEW   12 August 2009 

So, it's less than a week away. Hope and dread return in equal measure. I feel optimistic, but scared of those hopes being dashed. 

Liverpool have earned the right to believe in their chances, and if confidence borne of last season's efforts can be taken into the early months, then anything is possible.

Two players of undoubted quality (Johnson and Aquilani) have arrived to bolster the strongest XI, but one (Alonso) has left.

Also gone are Hyypia and Arbeloa, both of whom would have only been back-up players going into the new campaign, but very good ones at that.

Aquilani will offer something new, as will Glen Johnson; both of these players are better in the final third than the men they've replaced. That has to bode well.

The return of Voronin adds a further option up front. The Ukrainian can chip in with a few goals and assists, as a very capable and game-intelligent back-up striker. He doesn't have to settle into English football, or the thought processes of his team-mates, and as such can add something to the mix.

Some young players will be a year older and wiser (particularly Insua and N'Gog, but also Lucas), and no-one is in danger of disappearing off the other end of the age spectrum, now that Hyypia has moved on.

The oldest player in the squad is only 31 (Carragher), and no-one else will be in his 30s when the season starts, bar Voronin, who has only just recently had his 30th birthday.

The average age of the strongest XI is a near-perfect 27.3 (the average of the previous 17 Premiership champions is 27.5, as I discovered when researching my new book, ‘Red Race'), and the squad overall averages out at a very healthy 26, excluding those youngsters who may force their way into Rafa's plans.

Pre-season form wasn't great on the whole, but the players do so much intensive training at this time of year under Rafa it's hard to know how much energy they have left come kick-off; often they'll have trained hard the day of a game, and fitness is the main concern. And a week at this stage of the season is long time.

More confidence gained from impressive wins would have been nice, but pre-season can be so distorting – not least due to the range in fitness and determination of the various opposition sides – that successive strolls in pre-season can bring a rude awakening come the first league game.

A difficult game at Spurs wouldn't surprise me, with Rafa starting a league campaign away for the 6th successive season and the opener always a bit of a lottery (no team is ever quite in its rhythm), but from then until October, and the trip to Chelsea, I expect pretty much maximum points.

According to some, Liverpool missed a good chance of winning the title last season, but I don't buy that; to go from 4th place and 76 points to 1st place, and needing in excess of 90, is a massive ask. To do so without the experience of a previous title race only made it harder.

Yes, United and Chelsea had some problems last season, but Liverpool could only pair Torres and Gerrard together on 14 occasions. If that can be doubled this time around, with no injuries to other key men, than this really could be the year.

I have to admit to finding developments at Man City fascinating. Even Chelsea didn't operate quite like this when spending £100m in a summer.

Chelsea spent big on top continental talents, like Cech, Robben, Drogba and Essien. But City have plundered only the Premiership this summer.

Not only that, they've taken players from teams in the top four: two from Arsenal, one from Manchester United, and serious attempts were made to lure John Terry from Chelsea.

If you can't beat ‘em, the saying goes, join ‘em. City's approach seems to be to gatecrash the all-important top four by taking elements from each of the teams already there. In that sense, it's a novel approach. Chelsea, the last of the really big spenders, were already there when the riches arrived.

City's aim has surely been aided by weakening two of those sides who've occupied the positions for the past four seasons. And the teams who finished fifth and sixth have also been targeted: thus far Everton have held on to Lescott, but Gareth Barry has moved from Villa.

What I find most interesting is how a stronger City will affect their neighbours in Salford, who are naturally Liverpool's main rivals going into the new season. An intensification of that particular rivalry may actually be beneficial to Benítez's men.

A resurgent Reds put extra pressure on Manchester United last time out; had it been Chelsea or Arsenal, United wouldn't have felt quite as much pressure to see them off.

As it was, perhaps the fact that it was Liverpool motivated United that little bit more to eek out results; but only after a serious wobble when they looked shakier than at any time in recent memory, and only after a pivotal refereeing decision at a time when they were seriously wobbling.

United have lorded it over Liverpool for so long that it's only natural to fear the tables turning.

But now City are on hand to throw another spanner into the works; so much so that Ferguson has been quoted as making quite a few stinging criticisms, which suggests that he sees them as something of a threat. After all, he never attacks lame ducks, does he?

At the very least, City might take some points off United and give them two tougher games than last year.

At best, they might even finish above their more famous neighbours; a very long shot, and one which comes with the risk of City finishing above Liverpool too, but if they are in the mix, Mark Hughes' side could cause some tension at Old Trafford.

We know from recent experience how time spent below your city rivals in the league table causes additional nervousness. It's not nice.

Of course, it seems virtually impossible for City to win the Premiership this season. As noted in this column many times since 2005, teams now need to build up to the title with a 2nd-place finish the year before.

In time, City themselves may indeed challenge for the title; but for the time being, a bit of Mancunian rivalry might just favour Liverpool.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:22 pm

I appreciate Tomkin's optimism, but sometimes he goes too far

According to some, Liverpool missed a good chance of winning the title last season, but I don't buy that; to go from 4th place and 76 points to 1st place, and needing in excess of 90, is a massive ask. To do so without the experience of a previous title race only made it harder.

One fact doesn't exclude the other, it was a huge improvement, it was a massive ask, yet there's no doubt it was a great opportunity.

I had other things to comment but there's a melting hot today, I'm off to the beach.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tim LFC » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:58 pm

Very interesting read. Man City will take some time to gel but i will be watching them and it should add some very interesting aspects to PL. Man U definitely know there not as strong as they were and Fergie knows it and he knows he can't do nothing about it! So they'll have lots of pressing biding on them. While in the mean time Liverpool might be able to snatch the title. All in its going to be very interesting this season. And for sure i'll be watching more PL then La Liga and as the title run will be very tight.
Tim LFC

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:48 pm

Sorry, i stopped reading after reading his comments regarding Voronin.

I would find his articles more credible if they had some form of balance to them.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:13 pm

How do you know if they that one had balance or not if you only read the first couple of paragraphs? :rasp

Nah, to be fair his stuff has to be taken with a pinch of salt given who he's employed by. He has to put the rose-tinted specs on when he writes. Sometimes that means he rightly sticks up for the club/players/fans (like over the spending issue) but it also means players have few flaws!
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:32 pm

Bammo wrote:How do you know if they that one had balance or not if you only read the first couple of paragraphs? :rasp

Nah, to be fair his stuff has to be taken with a pinch of salt given who he's employed by. He has to put the rose-tinted specs on when he writes. Sometimes that means he rightly sticks up for the club/players/fans (like over the spending issue) but it also means players have few flaws!

There is no harm in sticking up for players mate.

But when he starts saying stuff like...

The return of Voronin adds a further option up front. The Ukrainian can chip in with a few goals and assists, as a very capable and game-intelligent back-up striker. He doesn't have to settle into English football, or the thought processes of his team-mates, and as such can add something to the mix.

thats when i think whats the point in reading this, the writer is either deluded or is a liar.

Game intelligence ffs !!  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:53 pm

That's what I meant, mate. There are times he's stuck up for players when that's been the right thing to do. The trouble is with previews like this he only focusses on players strengths.

Take Voronin for example. He can do some of those things but he can also go missing in games, something that won't be mentioned in a preview by a club reporter!
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:08 pm

Well considering how much anti-Liverpool press it out there, I dont see anything wrong with rose coloured prose of Paul Tompkins.

Though I certainly disagree with him about us not missing a good chance at the league last season. Considering we beat both ManU and Chelsea , I dont really see where we finished the season before has any bearing on the matter
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:30 pm

Reg wrote:Pre-season form "wasn't great on the whole"

See, he does provide balance sometimes   :laugh:
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby baldricks_cunning_plan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:24 pm

It's a good read, few things I don't agree with but on the whole a decent read.
baldricks_cunning_plan

Postby dawson99 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:34 am

laza wrote:Well considering how much anti-Liverpool press it out there, I dont see anything wrong with rose coloured prose of Paul Tompkins.

Though I certainly disagree with him about us not missing a good chance at the league last season. Considering we beat both ManU and Chelsea , I dont really see where we finished the season before has any bearing on the matter

how much anti-liverpool press is there exactly?

will everyone stop moaning about the press, they are the same with all teams and we are just sounding like a bunch of whinging tw@ts
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:18 pm

dawson99 wrote:
laza wrote:Well considering how much anti-Liverpool press it out there, I dont see anything wrong with rose coloured prose of Paul Tompkins.

how much anti-liverpool press is there exactly?

will everyone stop moaning about the press, they are the same with all teams and we are just sounding like a bunch of whinging tw@ts

gotta agree with ya there daws...

most of the somewhat negative stuff that comes out regarding us is stuff we brought on ourselves anyways i think..

think we get about as much as everyone else does...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:19 pm

oh and the Tompkins piece... garbage...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:35 pm

How dare he be possitive? All our players are sh!t and we havent got a chance, does he not realise as a LFC supporter he should be a miserable git?
If youve got nothing negative to say Tomkins dont say anything at all.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion