Morientes form?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby En1gma_LFC » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:58 pm

Just wondering about peoples opinions about Nando's form? Theres no doubting hes a world class striker but his last few games for us hes looked nothing special. I really hope its jus that we havnt seen the best of him but i cant help but think his style of play is more suited to the continent than the fast paced premiership. I personally dont think we get the full benifit of him playing as a lone striker (carling cup final) although i know that he was there mainly to hold the ball up for the likes of Riise and Garcia to support. I think if rafa is looking long term at playing a lone striker and 5 in midfield we need to be looking for a guy with pace up front. I do think he will revert to a consistent 4.4.2 when we have a full set of strikers back though. Any Opinions?
En1gma_LFC

Postby jack66 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:13 pm

Give him a chance,i think we will be able to judge him better next season when he has settled in.You have got to give a player who has come from another country a full season to settle.
Morientes hasnt played much for real madrid this season,so i think 2 months isnt enough time to judge him.
jack66

Postby Ciggy » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:15 pm

And word is he will be playing up front on sunday on his own again.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jack66 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:16 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:And word is he will be playing up front on sunday on his own again.

Where did u get the word from?
jack66

Postby Ciggy » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:17 pm

Someone who knows someone :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:18 pm

We'll see the benefit next season hopefully.  I'm not sure he's fully match fit, plus how inconsistent are we to judge him after 2 months?

Next season, defenders should play deeper against him and Cisse because of Cisse's pace, allowing Morientes to get in the box without feeling afraid of being offside and how good is he in the air?  Getting on the end of some crosses from some decent wingers I hope!!!!  A different style of play next season to look forward to maybe?

I have to also say though, that I didn't think Djibtil Cisse looked a £14 million player before his horrific injury (get well soon :) ), so who knows who will partner him?  Fernando will be first choice up front I would imagine though, leaving Cisse, Baros if he's still here, Pongolle and whoever else we sign because mark my words there will be a major reshuffle of the playing staff this summer.
jonnymac1979

Postby jack66 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:18 pm

Not sure about that???
jack66

Postby En1gma_LFC » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 pm

Yeh i heard that about sunday's match too which is why i posted. Yeh i agree that weve go to give him at least a season, just hope he doesnt turn out to be another Kewell (comes with a great record, but doesnt deliver). I trust rafa's judgement though. What do you think about him playin as a lone striker? I think baros is more suited to that role on his own, mainly because of this pace?
En1gma_LFC

Postby Iceman69 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:53 am

harsh post, nando should be given more time.

people dont give him the ball ha;f the time, ie; versus blackburn, so how can he do damage when he hasnt got the ball? ???? ???

never heard so much cr*p
Iceman69

Postby zarababe » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:58 am

MMMmorientes has shown enuff calss alraedy .. and needs service and time to settle... he'll be grat for us and wait till Alonsoooo gets bak.. wow be grt then...

.. and how dare anyone liken him to Kewell... how dare u .. there a class apart
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:28 am

"Give him time, remember Pires" etc etc etc. How many times do we have to go through this same old scenario? The guy is merely asking the question, do we think Morientes is playing well at the moment and do we think that in the long term he will be a good signing. It's not being disloyal to ask the question. If you think it's too early for YOU to judge then just say so.
My opinion is that so far he has shown touches of real class but overall he has been a shade disappointing. Whether that is because I believed all the hype and expected amazing things which was unrealistic or just that so-far he hasn't delivered I don't know. As for him on his own up-top, it doesn't work for me as he hasn't got the pace or running power of a Cisse or Baros and we don't currently posess the midfield players who are going to consistently run beyond him. I think he'll come good next season though. All merely IMHO of course.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:58 am

Would like to see him get into the box more and to recieve some decent service .He's a great header of the ball but imo it's an aspect of his game that is not being exploited.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby En1gma_LFC » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:07 pm

Hang on a sec, why is this a harsh post? all im asking is oppinions on Nando's form at the moment, whether we will get the most out of him as a lone strike and what do we expect from him in the future? Not abuse from certain people for asking that. As i said if you read my original post, hes a world class player just hasnt reached his full potential yet. You really need to ease off the insults abit, people like that that discourage other people from posting. Also, are you saying that Harry Kewell wasnt a world class player when he joined us? If not why did he turn down the likes of Arsenal and Manure to join us
En1gma_LFC

Postby zarababe » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:16 pm

Harry Kewell was a good player.. but not world class.. Mmmorientes is proven .. medal count alone.. world class players don't fade.. they adjust.. Kewell ? disappeared ..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby En1gma_LFC » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:19 pm

Morientes is world class without dout..i dont no how you can say that he is according to your theory that world class players adjuct and dont fade away because hes spend majority of his career in spain (other than monaco) which is a similarly paced league. Only time will tell i say. i hope we get his true potential out of him.
En1gma_LFC

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion