Morientes a poor signing?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby XSD » Sun May 01, 2005 8:15 pm

A.B. wrote:Nobody said that you were disloyal or not a true supporter. You feel that Morientes won't cut it here, it's your opinion but Rock comes out with a  stupid statement "Morientes is not world class", a proven player both for country and club.

I don't think the current Morientes is really in that lucrative bracket of "world class". That is reserved for the very top performers in league and cup competitions, in the prime in their career. If you look at Morientes's record for Spain and in the CL..superb. However his record at every club he has played at in the league...I don't think he has ever had a 20 goal season.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Sun May 01, 2005 8:24 pm

Thinkpad wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Liverpool 4 EVA wrote:5) His track record is proven so SHUT UP up and give him a fair chance.

That's what I like on this board, reasoned argument. I ask the question again. Are we happy with his contribution at the moment and would we be happy if he continued in this manner indefinately? If the answer to the above is no, roughly, give or take half a season or so when would we expect a significant improvement by?
Can I please nail this stereotyping of all doubters once and for all. I was, have been and am one of Garcia's biggest supporters on the board. If on doubt, please check back and look. For a while there I was practically the only one with a good word to say about the guy.
Poor performance by supposedly great player.

eh? waddayamean a supposedly great player?? Do you know anything about players from other countries??

Ridiculous statement to say the least.... :glare: 

It was stupid for many of you to get so excited about Morientes when he scored those 2 first brilliant goals for us....And now it's ridiculous for many of you to just write him off so early on....

Perhaps he will be a failure at Liverpool, who knows!!?? None of us do, but as I have said about 10 times already give the guy a chance at least....

Everything he has had to prove has been proved already, whether he is a success at Liverpool or not! No one can take away the greatness he achieved throughout most of his career :talktothehand :buttrock
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun May 01, 2005 8:25 pm

He's not the top of player that scores 20 goals, he's the type of player that scores 10-15 goals but important ones that help the team. He's the type of player who creates chances for others. A type of player who is lethal in the air something we have not used as our advantage because we don't have a player who can cross the ball well enough.

Now I understand that his form at the moment is not world class however I responded to Rocks comment "I never rated him as a world class player" they way I did as he's stating that Morientes was never a world class player prior to signing with us. Obiviously Rock needs to do his football "homework".
Last edited by A.B. on Sun May 01, 2005 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun May 01, 2005 8:31 pm

Thinkpad wrote:I think maybe ( heaven forbids) Rafa made a mistake in buying Pelle and morientes. I think he knows it.
Why I made this conjecture? Because I remember Rafa said how much he learned during the Cardiff cup. About the agression and physical nature of the premiership. He also mentioned that he is still learning and getting to know premiership better. So when he bought those players his assumption were wrong. So naturely his purchases may not measure up to those attributes that he missed. Just a conjecture.. nothing more. No need to get upset and regarding my post. Cheers.

I think the signing of pellegrino has actually been a good thing.  Not because he has been particularly good, but because we badly needed another CB at the time to challenge carra and hyypia.

Look how much hyypia's form has picked up since pelle arrived.  But i wouldn't keep pelle next season, need to find someone younger and quicker.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Sun May 01, 2005 8:35 pm

XSD wrote:
A.B. wrote:Nobody said that you were disloyal or not a true supporter. You feel that Morientes won't cut it here, it's your opinion but Rock comes out with a  stupid statement "Morientes is not world class", a proven player both for country and club.

I don't think the current Morientes is really in that lucrative bracket of "world class". That is reserved for the very top performers in league and cup competitions, in the prime in their career. If you look at Morientes's record for Spain and in the CL..superb. However his record at every club he has played at in the league...I don't think he has ever had a 20 goal season.

Good post, and I agree in some things....

It's true, Morientes has never ever been a 20 goal a season player, but his overall contribution in terms of movement, assists etc has been SO valuable to the team's he's played in. He was a bit part player for Albacete, but was fantastic for Real Zaragoza, Real Madrid and Monaco.

The most goals he's scored where 19 goals for Real Madrid in the 1998 - 1999 season, and his 2nd best tally was 18 goals for Madrid in the 2001 - 2002 season.

Throughout his career, his goal tally each season has been pretty consistent....
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun May 01, 2005 8:39 pm

It's not the quanity of the goals he scores, it's the importance of them. Those 9 goals he scored for Monaco in the CL last year was the reason they made it to the finals.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Nando » Mon May 02, 2005 9:07 am

Thinkpad wrote:
Nando wrote:past his best? dont think hes even had a full season in a while other than last season with monaco, dude has played abt 35 games for spain and scored 28 goals, thats amazing, it just shows his class he isnt automatic first choice but when he plays he will deliver the goods

mark my words, he will be raring to go after toning up over pre-season, with a few more deliveries into the box would benefit, do u guys think RVN would profit playing for us? the point is no because our service to our strikers can be abysmal at times, why dont we point the finger at nunez? nando thrives on good service and he isnt getting any

Huh??? Our service to strikers are abysmal only to morientes? But when baros are playing the service suddenly becomes extraordinarily good?? I guess that must be the reason why some of you are slagging baros off for not taking advantage of the service. The service he is getting are world class.. just that morientes are getting the scrape... sheeshzzz

so your saying morientes has has quality balls being continuously put into the box for him to get on the end of? all we do is punt the ball up to him, hes much better when crosses come into the wing and gets the chance to attack them, his 1st goal against charlton aint a goal you would expect from him as he made it out of his own sheer class, his goal against fulham was more like his usual self just heading balls almost nonchalantly into the back of the net
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion