Liverpool have accepted a 8.5 million bid

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:40 pm

Lyon's £8.5m bid for Baros Aug 18 2005

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LYON today raised the stakes in the race for Milan Baros by tabling an astonishing £8.5m bid for the striker.

Former Anfield boss Gerard Houllier underlined his determination to recruit the Czech international with a huge offer for the player he brought to Anfield three years ago.

Aston Villa were in pole position to recruit Baros, who has expressed a preference to move to the Midlands.

Indeed, although Liverpool have accepted the French champions' bid, Baros has already informed the Reds he doesn't want to be reunited with his ex-manager.

Liverpool are hoping the lure of Champions League football will make Baros rethink and are prepared to wait until the transfer window is nearly closed for a final decision from the striker.

Lyon's offer is a serious setback to Villa, who hoped to secure the Czech striker for £2m less.

Villa's £6.5m offer has obviously been rejected by the Reds.

Liverpool tried to compromise by asking for Nolberto Solano as part of a deal for Baros.

So far, David O'Leary has firmly rejected the proposal, although Solano himself is believed to be attracted to the prospect of a switch to Merseyside.

The Reds will now await Villa's next move with interest, while Houllier will be hoping his staggering offer and the lucrative wages and signing-on fee Baros can expect following the £26m sale of Michael Essien will tempt him to France.

Meanwhile, the Michael Owen transfer is no closer to being resolved despite ongoing reports his return to Anfield is imminent.

Owen has told Madrid he only wants them to deal with the Reds, and Liverpool will try to agree his transfer, but other clubs are prepared to pay more for his services.

The Reds have not made contact with Madrid yet, and any suggestion a deal could be tied up by the weekend is extremely premature.

Liverpool's international contingent return to Melwood for an early evening training session as preparations begin ahead of Sunderland's visit.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:42 pm

No where in there states that we have accepted the bid ???
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:42 pm

8.5 million for Baros  :D

great to see Houllier has learnt fro mhis past mistakes of spending over the odds for players  :p
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:47 pm

MilitiaRusher wrote:No where in there states that we have accepted the bid ???

Indeed, although Liverpool have accepted the French champions' bid, ???
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:48 pm

Chris bascombe is never wrong, his articles are always spot on, he is in melwood every day, and travels everywhere with the team.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:50 pm

how will that effect the personal terms that baros has agreed with villa??

mind you, 8.5 mill, means a better signing on fee for baros, if it is lfc who are selling, or none if it was baros' idea
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpoolrich » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:52 pm

didnt benitez say when we sell baros he will start thinking about getting owen
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby el_stinger » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:53 pm

MilitiaRusher wrote:No where in there states that we have accepted the bid ???

Yes it does, read my friend.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:56 pm

I cannot understand for the life of me why Baros would choose Villa over Lyon, Lyon have some cracking players, they are guarenteed CL football, they where excellent last season, is it just to p*ss us off that he wants to stay in England and go to Birmingham :kungfu:
I know where id prefer to be, france over Brum any day of the week.
he needs to just make peace with houllier and go there, that way we get a big fat wad for him and he would be very successful in france.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:59 pm

The Return of the Judge wrote:how will that effect the personal terms that baros has agreed with villa??

.. may be Villa can pay his wages at Lyon  :D

Cisse also attracting interest from Lyon. Interesting rumours
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:01 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:I cannot understand for the life of me why Baros would choose Villa over Lyon, Lyon have some cracking players, they are guarenteed CL football, they where excellent last season, is it just to p*ss us off that he wants to stay in England and go to Birmingham :kungfu:
he needs to just make peace with houllier and go there, that way we get a big fat wad for him and he would be very successful in france.

I do, One Word: HOULLIER
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:03 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:I cannot understand for the life of me why Baros would choose Villa over Lyon, Lyon have some cracking players, they are guarenteed CL football, they where excellent last season, is it just to p*ss us off that he wants to stay in England and go to Birmingham :kungfu:

remember this is a player who don't understand the term "look up". With his head down, he obviously can only see the teams below us  :D

Too bad we sold Biscan, Diouf and Diao. Otherwise we could easily clean Lyon off the £26M with Houllier in charge.  :sniffle
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:04 pm

:D

Attaboy Ged, Liverpool ask for £7mil so you offer £8.5mil :D

Alway a shrewd operator in the transfer market
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:06 pm

Wow!!
£8.5 million for Baros.
I can't remember the last time we made a profit on a player.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:07 pm

simic_ie wrote: :D

Attaboy Ged, Liverpool ask for £7mil so you offer £8.5mil :D

Alway a shrewd operator in the transfer market

he called it "snipe" bidding...make competitors too shock to even know how to react.  :eyebrow
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion