Lfc in the movies again - Investor lurks

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redrider » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:40 pm

Film producer still eyes Liverpool 
By Bill Wilson
BBC News business reporter in Dubai 

Mike Jefferies wants Liverpool competing for major honours
Hollywood-based film producer Mike Jefferies has said he still hopes to play a role in the future development of Liverpool FC, despite having a move to inject money rejected in the summer.
"I wasn't trying to take over at Liverpool, I was trying to get together a consortium, and still am, to turn the club around," he said, speaking at the Soccerex football business forum in Dubai.

"I still think things need to change at Liverpool, where their market capitalisation is one-fifth of Manchester United's," he added.

Mr Jefferies, who made his cash in Los Angeles in the late 1990s through business-to-business internet services, says he is a long-time supporter of the Anfield club.

"One of the most depressing things for me was going to meet Liverpool, where I think the amount of income being generated is somewhat lacking. I think things might need to change."

Business is the key word when talking about football

Mike Jefferies, film producer and Liverpool fan 

"I want to see Liverpool competing at the highest possible level, on and off the pitch, at the level of the Manchester Uniteds, Real Madrids, Arsenals and Chelseas.

"There is a need to recapitalise Liverpool - restructure it."

Long-term fan

With his US background Mr Jefferies is also keen to see clubs such as Liverpool exploiting the US market.

"One of the major growth areas for clubs has to be the US. It is extremely fertile ground for football."

He added: "Business is the key word when talking about football. But it has to be accompanied by business accountability and business acumen."

And, echoing points made in the day by Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd, he said he did not know if the current English league set-ups would continue in their present forms.

"I think there is an oversupply of the product. There are 92 clubs in a market that is shrinking, when you see the Champions League taking away market share."

Mr Jefferies now owns Milkshake films and is producing the football film Goal!

This will promt Steve Morgan to respond at the AGM.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:42 pm

looks like a merry x'mas & happy new year for us  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:10 pm

.. if these guys are serious.. then they shud get on and sort it out in time for the January Transfer window.. the Boss needs money for then... enuff vtalk get on with it
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:12 pm

Redrider wrote:Mr Jefferies now owns Milkshake films and is producing the football film Goal!

Maybe that has something to do with it.  :glare:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:58 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:
Redrider wrote:Mr Jefferies now owns Milkshake films and is producing the football film Goal!

Maybe that has something to do with it.  :glare:

Granny, you could be right, it could be a cynical promotion for his film. But he does seem to have some Liverpool roots, from the Daily Post :
''FILM producer Mike Jefferies has said he still wants to play a role in the future development of Liverpool Football Club, despite having a move to inject money into the club rejected in the summer.''

''The Woolton-born entrepreneur (right) was speaking at a conference in Dubai, which LFC chief executive Rick Parry was also attending, a fact sure to increase speculation about a possible deal with Liverpool's AGM due to be held on Thursday.''

However, my feeling is that Steve Morgan, has not gone away.
His silence, over the Financial Results speaks volumes. I am sure if he was on the outside he would have been publically critical.
There is nothing significant about Parry being at the conference, it would have been amazing if he had not been there, with all the top teams in Europe.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:41 pm

I posted this 2 hours before, please delete this post moderator :;): :p
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:12 pm

Redrider wrote:
John Barnes' Granny wrote:
Redrider wrote:There is nothing significant about Parry being at the conference, it would have been amazing if he had not been there, with all the top teams in Europe.

The attached article from BBC Business News, explains why Parry is Dubai :

Football industry's global marketplace 
Bill Wilson
BBC News business reporter 

Dubai is one of the main business centres in the Gulf

Hundreds of clubs and firms involved in the football business have gathered at the picturesque Jumeriah Beach Resort in Dubai to hear what the global future holds for the industry, and to try and pick up contacts and advice that will help them run their operations more profitably.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion