Kewell finally speaks - He will silence the critics

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:47 pm

i really hope kewell comes good. It is really depressing to see him playing like he did these past few months.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N146277041006-1519.htm

KEWELL: I'LL SILENCE THE CRITICS
Paul Eaton 06 October 2004 

Harry Kewell has vowed to silence the critics and rediscover the form which secured him a 'dream' move to Liverpool. 
By his own admission Kewell has failed to live up to his own high standards so far this campaign, but he remains confident in his ability to step up a couple of gears over the coming weeks and reproduce the quality of football which not so long ago earmarked him as one of the country's best wide midfield players.

He's aware that he's had criticism from some quarters this season, with some fans less than happy with his performances so far, but he's adamant his best form is just waiting to be unleashed again.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I know I can do a lot better. There are things I have to improve on and there are things the team has to improve on as well. There's a lot more to come from me, that's for sure.

"I am one of my biggest critics where football is concerned. I never play a good game. I always think I can do things better. I am quite sure my form will improve over the rest of the season. We have a new manager here and it's a transition time for all of us. The boss will get the best out of the team and out of the players.

"The important thing is I know what I am capable of. If people want to criticise me then fair enough. I know what I can do and I'm quite sure I'll do it. I'd like to see where the critics go then."

Kewell's place in the Liverpool team has come under pressure from youngster Stephen Warnock this season, and the Aussie admits his young rival for the left midfield role has given the manager food for thought.

He added: "Stephen has worked very hard and done very well this season. Fair play to him for that. I hadn't heard of him really before I came here but he has done well whenever he's had a chance.

"It's always good to have someone pressurising you for your place in the team because it should bring the best out of you.

"Competition for place is always healthy and it doesn't worry me at all. It was always my dream to play for Liverpool and I'll give anything to play my part in achieving success here."
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:02 pm

Can he really question why there has been critics? He asked where the critics will go then if he starts showing his true worth? Well they will probably go criticise another highly rated player who isnt showing any guts or heart whatsoever!
Last edited by madred on Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:04 pm

Nice to hear the lad admit he has been poo though all the same.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:08 pm

It was Leon and if he does come back to be the player we first signed i'll be happy to be prooved wrong. If he loves the club that much he has to start putting 110% in from now on or else he wont be here soon.
Last edited by madred on Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:36 pm

Go for it Harry, I have been one of your critics. !!
But I did think he was digging in against Chelsea and trying to support both the forwards and popping up in defence with some key interceptions. I sincerely hope the lad pulls it off and finds his form together with his best position in the current team. The line up possibilities are fluid at the moment, Rafa is not scared to experiment with the personnel and the formation. ???
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:35 pm

Talk is cheap and we need consitently good performances from Kewell. I cannot count on one hand the amount of decent games he has had for us. I so hope he proves me very wrong but I fear his best days are gone. The Kewell we are seeing now is the Kewell of the future.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:37 pm

The Crystal ball looks a bit Cloudy today !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby spud » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:44 pm

I used to live in Leeds and my company had season tickets at Leeds so I went a few times.  Kewell was inconsistent then, the majority of Leeds fans moaned about his effort and he was often shamed by A Smith, G Kelly, M Bridges (when not injured), L Bowyer and R Keane.

He held the ball up and tried for the first 7 minutes at Chelsea...well done.  I reckon he better deliver cause Raffa wont tolerate it - note the 5 changes in the team from the CL game.

Having talent is one thing, delivering it on a regular basis is another.  He would be a good player for Spurs until they got organised and defensive.

Duff or Vincente for me. 

ps...he's one of the highest paid players!!!!!
spud

Postby Redrider » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:48 pm

Damn shame, pity he dosn't punch his weight !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:33 pm

i hope kewell shows his ablity or is he gonna talk ******..hope not
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adayinthelife » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:20 pm

Nice to hear him acknowledge how bad he has been but it would be madness to sell him as some ppl have suggested as he seems to be low on confidence like a few others.

Kewell has so much talent and on form is lethal and although we have yet to see anywhere near the best of him I believe we should perservere with him.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:21 pm

I'm getting sick of Kewell, as far as I'm concerned if he doesn't produce the good by the end of the season he can do one :( :angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby glambertino » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:38 am

spud, i'll second your comments on the leeds fans.  i was there too and some mates always told me that they were sick of him not doing anything consistently. 

if he doesn't pull his finger out he should get on the ark in january.
glambertino

Postby laza » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:06 am

Interesting here in Australia where Kewell just arrived for international matches they state he has been struggling all season with groin injury and probably wont be fit for first match on saturday.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:56 am

at least he'd got the message well
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion