It's getting worse by the day - Surrealism or what

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu May 20, 2004 8:49 am

JohnBull wrote:For Christ's sake grow up Leon you'll be blaming Scouse sailors for the bleedin slave trade next- as if it had sod all to do with the big black fellas selling their own kith and kin to big greedy arabs.

I did not blame anyone for the war John Bull, read the post thoroughly before jumping on your high horse.

Big Al insinuated the romance of the reason for our existance and used the fact that the most famous terracing in World Football was named after a battle as his argument for not wanting the Thai guy to purchase shares in the club.

I merely pointed out the similarities and coincidences in the three seperate issues.

I know you dont agree with my posts most of the time, but at least have the decency to read them thru before you berate me.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu May 20, 2004 1:44 pm

For a start I think that the human rights issue and Thailand has been blown out of proportion and while things are far from perfect there its difficult to look at the situation in Thailand and judge it from a western perspective.

I'd really prefer not to get the money from Thailand, however.

I'm not sure what the Thai PM has in mind for Liverpool and does he really understand football?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby simic_ie » Thu May 20, 2004 2:00 pm

This is a poltically motivated move full stop. He wants to be re-elected in the next set of elections in Thailand and offering people a chance to buy into one of the biggest clubs in the world is as good a way of garnering the populist vote as any.
Remember thats what Steve Morgen is doing right now to gain support for his bid, saying what people want to hear and promising them better things.

It is also good financaily for Thailand because they know far better than the Liverpool board or the investment company hired by LFC what to expect from the merchandising rights in East Asia. For this reason I would be very war of accepting any deal form Thailnd without making sure 100% it was the best possible deal for the club, because, in my opinion, the Steve Morgan offer isn't brilliant either if it means he gets control over who comes to the club. No board member of any club should have this power you hire your manager and back him up on whoever he should choose to sign by putting your name on a cheque.

All in all, I think we have to trust the Liverpool board to make the right decision on which is the best proposal for the club. we have to believe they have the clubs best interests at heart
because without investment this summer Liverpool will never catch up with the top teams in Europe
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu May 20, 2004 2:15 pm

I don't know how Heysel popped up in this thread but it did so I'll mention it, I think it is ridiculous for LFC to try and apportion the blame. Yeah, there were loads of shortcomings but those thugs that rioted were a disgrace to LFC, rioting like this was the reason why those steel gates were needed at places like Hillsborough.

I don't want to be insensitive to anyone who lost loved ones at Hillsborough, but LFC cannot be blameless in Heysel, it was the clubs biggest moment of shame.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi » Thu May 20, 2004 2:25 pm

I'm sorry Big Niall but I can't agree with you there, Heysel was a crumbling accident waiting to happen. LFC approached UEFA at the start of that season trying to get the venue switched due to fears about the decrepit state of the
stadium. Crowd rushes the likes of which triggered the disaster happened every week at the time, before that time and indeed since in grounds where there are not all-seater facilities.

LFC and English clubs as a whole were scape-goated for this tragedy, I don't think it's mere coincidence that English clubs won the European Cup 7 seasons out 8 immediately prior to Heysel. The resultant ban was way over the top.
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu May 20, 2004 2:37 pm

No, but he understands that theres a lot of money to be made marketing Liverpool in the Far east
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu May 20, 2004 2:46 pm

Boocity wrote:No, but he understands that theres a lot of money to be made marketing Liverpool in the Far east

???  ???  ???
As I understand it the far east and particularly Thailand is the "fake capital " of the world. You can pick up a top quality product ranging from a Rolex to a Footy shirt for less than a quarter of the proper price. I don't know how mkting us is going to make any seriuos money over there., unless of course Thaksin shoots anyone caught wearing a fake Liverpool shirt.  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Thu May 20, 2004 2:49 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:For a start I think that the human rights issue and Thailand has been blown out of proportion and while things are far from perfect there its difficult to look at the situation in Thailand and judge it from a western perspective.

I'd really prefer not to get the money from Thailand, however.

I'm not sure what the Thai PM has in mind for Liverpool and does he really understand football?

I agree with you JBG.Thaksin is no Mother Theresa but he looks angelic compared to other regimes in that part of the world.I dont think any of us know the financial details or where the money is coming from so its very hard to comment at this point. I do know that the guy is doing a reasonable job as leader of Thailand and he is certainly no Mugabe or Kim II Sung.Is he any less reputable than Abramovich?I dont see too many people wondering where his 14 billion came from or how he got it.He knows ****** all about football either.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SantaGiveHoullierTheSack » Thu May 20, 2004 3:16 pm

Of course there are questionmarks over the source of his fortune...why is it that makes you under-declare your assets before taking office as PM, why bother to let your maids and drivers became the "owners" of your asset to avoid investigation...blah blah blah. However, he apparently is doing quite a good job as Thai's PM, no doubt his bank managers will agree too :laugh:  :laugh:
SantaGiveHoullierTheSack

Postby stmichael » Thu May 20, 2004 3:19 pm

i still want to know what will happen if this guy buys into the club and he is then ousted from power at the next general election over there. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SantaGiveHoullierTheSack » Thu May 20, 2004 3:21 pm

I don't know how mkting us is going to make any seriuos money over there., unless of course Thaksin shoots anyone caught wearing a fake Liverpool shirt.

You mean shooting half the population in Thailand ?  :D But seriously, I  think the investment is politically motivated and not as an investment into marketing rights (unless he is taking over rights to Japanese market too) per se. Which is why we won't see Thaksin investing his own money into the deal.
SantaGiveHoullierTheSack

Postby SantaGiveHoullierTheSack » Thu May 20, 2004 3:24 pm

stmichael wrote:i still want to know what will happen if this guy buys into the club and he is then ousted from power at the next general election over there. ???

He is not investing his own money into the club. He is now asking the ordinary Thai folks to buy lotteries to raise fund for this investment. So at the end, it will probably be managed by Thailand's Sports Council and co-owned by the Thai public.

[pls correct me if I am wrong here]
SantaGiveHoullierTheSack

Postby big al » Thu May 20, 2004 6:39 pm

Some people here think that drawing a similarity with Mugabe is over the top, but remember how mugabe started out merely wanting land reform, for good sake Hitler portrayed himself as a saviour of the German people.  The fact is Thaksin has deployed thousands of troops in southern thailand who a murdering innocent people.  Would anyone here want george bushes money (not me) they are both murdering innocent people and poor idealistic Americans are being butchered for the glory of a president who bought the Whitehouse. Thaksin wants to buy the Liverpool brand hoping Like pilot it will help wash a little of his sins away.  Think what you will of the guy murderer or saint but do you wnat him associated with Liverpool.  I don't!
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu May 20, 2004 7:10 pm

Big Al, I spent ten years in Thailand. (had a bar in Kata beach, Phuket) It's not just Thaksin but imo all "political leaders " in that part of the world who hang on to power by any means necessary.. I was in Bangkok when they shot down students on a peaceful demonstration.
Come clean and admit to yourself at least that democracy is just a nice word in SE Asia. Everybody knows that there is a war between the army and the police especially in Thailand for political dominance.
And if you think malaysia or singapore is any different then all I can say is I hope you live close to the airport so you can catch the first plane out when the sh*t hits the fan.
Finally this is not the forum for this discussion :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby SantaGiveHoullierTheSack » Thu May 20, 2004 7:11 pm

Big Al, I am with you on your conclusion but not some the the facts which are obviously half truth at best. I don't know and I can't predict how Thaksin will turn out to be 5~10 years down the road. But this guy is a billionaire before he became prime minister and I don't think Thai's public and it's Monarchy will allow Thaksin getting out of control.

About the shooting in South of Thailand, if you got the facts right you would have known that the militant muslim started the killing, burning schools and police station and raided the army barrack for  weapons. Then Thaksin ordered a crackdown at the South of Thailand (which is something one will do if it happens here in England) to calm the situation down while asking neighbour Malaysia to help hunt down the group of (alledgely) Al-Queda linked muslims. Instead the group got bolder and while attempting to raid another army weapon depot, only this time the army and police laid waiting and a shootout occured whereby 102 people were killed (incl 6 police officer I believed). This just show the world as it is today. Tell you what, if you are the PM, would you called for the same action?
To claimed Thaksin murdered innocent people in the South of Thailand is a gross misinformation.

And to set the record straight...I am not a muslim, not a Thai and definately not a Thaksin supporter. I just wants to get the facts right :;):
SantaGiveHoullierTheSack

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion