Is moores lining his own pockets - At the expense of the club?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby greenred » Sat May 22, 2004 1:45 am

I posted this elsewhere but it seems to shed light on the Thai takeover.........

Pressure on Moores
By Sam Wallace and Christopher Davies
(Filed: 22/05/2004)

The Liverpool chairman, David Moores, came under further pressure last night when it emerged that he could pocket as much as £30 million from the deal with Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra after another day in which the board stayed silent on the future of manager Gerard Houllier.

Moores, who has been in charge at the club since 1991, is understood to have put around £10 million into Liverpool through either share-buying or investments over the past 13 years. However, the deal with Shinawatra, which has hit problems recently, would have seen him re-coup around double that amount.

So that great LFC man Moores will be taking twice as much money from the club than he has ever put in (while holding on to a controlling interest).If this is true then it puts a totally different spin on the Thai takeover.We werent told this deal was a way for Moores to make money FROM the club,we thought it was about players.This and the way GH is being stripped of his dignity is seriously p.issing me off.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sat May 22, 2004 2:01 am

Thought provoking post Greenred and one to ponder as we await news (dont we always from this board) of future developments.

I was particularly struck by your closing comments about stripping away Houlliers dignity , very sad state of affairs ineed when you cosider how much this job nearly cost Houllier :(
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat May 22, 2004 8:44 am

This whole sorry episode is reflecting badly on Moores and Liverpool Football Club.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat May 22, 2004 11:13 am

Lest we not forget, Moores has put his money where his mouth is every year since he put the money in (for transfers every summer), and he also put the cash up originally at a time when it was not quite as fashionable or safe to be putting dollar into football.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat May 22, 2004 9:14 pm

I'm not sure whether Moores has put "his money where his mouth is".

The only source that I have says that Moores has put in around 10 million pounds of his own cash into the club over the years. His shareholding is now worth anything from 30 to 80 million pounds, and he will probably pocket half of what the Thai PM gives him.

The Moores family are estimated to be worth 1.7BILLION pounds, although how much Moores himself is worth is beyond me.

I have no sympathy or time whatsoever for Moores: under his guidance we have dropped from being the best football side as well as arguably the richest club in England to now being the best of the also rans.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby kenco » Sat May 22, 2004 9:33 pm

Moores is a true Red his only fault is his blind faith in his managers Evans and houllier, only a fool could dispute his love for the club.He as put an awful lot of money into L.F.C.and asked nothing in return.
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat May 22, 2004 9:39 pm

I'm not being obstinate but could someone please elaborate exactly how many "millions" Moores has put into the club?

I accept that Moores is a diehard fan but my understanding of it was that apart from Moores initial investment and further investments from Granada and Steve Morgan over the years (by way of share purchase) the club has pretty much financed itself.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat May 22, 2004 10:35 pm

i'm actually hoping GH (if he stays) will actually have a good season and win the Premier league, for his own satisfaction if not ours
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat May 22, 2004 11:09 pm

I'm sure David Moores has only invested £10 million of his personal wealth into Liverpool Football Club over the 13 years.As JBG pointed out the transfer funds have been self generated or other investors have been invited on board i.e. Granada.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion