Important truth day announcement

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby CardinalRed » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:46 pm

I watched it on TV and was so impressed by the Kop, I'll give Motty the thumbs up too, he stated what it was about and why, he even said it shouldn't be ignored. The mosaic was shown too but the most enduring thing was the noise..... Good on you for everyone of the 12,000 in there today, you're a credit to your Club.

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby peterc1992 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:46 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGbFpppsaOg&mode=related&search=

have a look at this
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dward » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:51 pm

peterc1992 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGbFpppsaOg&mode=related&search=

have a look at this

Amazing :buttrock
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CarlosRocks » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:13 pm

what happened at anfield on sat was truley amazing (bar the result that is) i take my hat off to all people involved especially the ones who went out of their way to organize it.

its times like these that make me even more proud to be an LFC supporter...

:cool:
CarlosRocks

Postby Effes » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:37 pm

This post was on RAWK: If you can read through the mancyfied stuff that is:

I usually just read what they're saying, know thine enemy etc, but reading what they wrote tonight made my blood boil.
However, this is the reply from one of the mods on there:

United fans lower themselves to slagging Liverpool fans for standing to what 'they' believe. Full of :censored: or not, they got there act together today

Did they kill there own, was it South Yorkshire Police, did Kelvin McKenzie push them all in at once? Who gives a :censored: over something that happened over 17 yrs ago, and has nothing to do with United.

What have United fans done inside the ground since Glazer took over? the square root of :censored: all. Liverpool fans, year on year, stand up for what they believe in (delusions or not) the vast majority of United fans do dick.

This is a culture thing. I once turned my back on my local pub coz stella went to £2.00 pint. Now a scouser would boycott it until the day he was in a wooden box.

I really can see why Liverpool fans were proud today. Wonder what support we'll have tomorrow?

Night
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:16 pm

I've probably been to about 25 odd lfc games over the years and untill last night i have never witnessed us lose a game live. Admittedly most of the games i've been to tend to be against the likes of charlton, Blackburn, Portsmouth or perhaps Newcastle if i'm lucky but last was night was by far my best experience at Anfield,. Absolutely amazing effort from the fans (and not just the Kop end i might add)and you would not see anything like it anywhere else in the world. The noise was incredible and i felt like i gained just a little insight into what it must have been like in the old red cauldron on those great nights against Roma and Chelsea. I could feel the ground was bumping from the minute i got in and the roar that went around the stadium at the end of the protest gave me goosebumps. The singing continued in the same might for the rest of the game and i really couldn't believe it was possible to lose the game with so much energy from the crowd. At 2-1 i our play wasn't pretty but the lads huffed and puffed with the crowd at their back and i was convinced the equaliser would come. Unfortunately it wasn't to be and much of that is testament to an excellent Arsenal team (particularly Toure and Senderos who were superb) playing very un-Arsenal-like tactics.

It would have been great to get through and plot a way to the new Wembley but i guess you can take a year off the Cup when it's already been won in such style the previous season.

Last night wasn't about the result, it was about the memory of the 96 and the everlasting passion of the Anfield crowd, the city of Liverpool and the Wools and OOts (like me) lucky enough to share a part in it. Have never been so proud to be a red.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:49 pm

I've read much about Hillsborough. I've heard many things about lies.

I have never seen a more bastardly attempt of a TV operator to try to hide what it's not hideable.

They choose to put the squads and the info from behind the kop so that the mosaic couldn't be seen? Incredible!  :no
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:58 pm

Just grabbed this of off RAWK

Reaction to "The Truth" protest
Written by Jim Boardman

Sunday, 07 January 2007

Last night The Kop made a massive and memorable protest which should go down in history, and hopefully it will.

For more on what the protest was all about, here's what the Daily Mirror's Brian Reade said about it in yesterday's paper.

"TIME TO KOP THE TRUTH KELVIN

MEMO to Kelvin MacKenzie: If you're doing nothing at 5.15 tonight why not tune in to the Liverpool v Arsenal game on BBC1, where you will find 12,000 Kopites expressing what they think of your persistent campaign to rubbish the findings of Lord Justice Taylor's Report into the Hillsborough Disaster.

It will last a full six minutes. Or as long as 96 fans were left by police to die inside cages while an FA Cup tie played on in front of them in April 1989. But I don't need to remind you of the details, as you know them all. Even though you were 200 miles away at the time.

Because some anonymous Yorkshire copper who was ordered to deflect attention away from his force's culpability, span you a pack of lies, which you gladly published as The Truth, and which cost your newspaper dear.

Perhaps you still loathe yourself for being a submissive lackey who mouthed a false apology at Rupert Murdoch's behest or maybe you're too vain to accept hard evidence and let it go.

Either way you're still telling audiences, like the one in Newcastle last month, The Truth about Hillsborough was that Liverpool fans got tanked up, stampeded a gate, killed their own, and as they lay dying, :censored: on them and stole their belongings.

I just hope the Kop's tribute to you evokes a fraction of the anger and pain your continued lies do to the many people still living with the harrowing consequences of British football's most tragic day.

But I don't think it will. Which, Mr Mackenzie, is the saddest Truth of all."

The BBC seemed unwilling to give the protest as much coverage as most of us would have liked, but John Motson could not help but refer to the noise that lasted as promised until the game was six minutes old, with the chants of "Justice for the 96". Motson probably faces censure from his bosses for talking about the protest - but he's well aware of just how horrific Hillsborough actually was. He was there that day in 1989, covering the game for the Match of the Day programme. Hillsborough happened in an era when only the final was shown live, but the cameras were there to record the game. Grandstand would soon carry live pictures of the scenes that were unfolding. Last night the BBC's director seemed intent on trying to hide the mosaic as much as possible, but they couldn't hide it altogether. John Motson's references to the noise and the mosaic were extremely welcome, and I for one am delighted that he had the decency and the honour not to try and ignore it. Well done John Motson.

The BBC didn't have their usual offering of "interactive" coverage last night either, normally you'd be able to watch the game without having to listen to the commentary, with the option of just listening to the crowd noise. Perhaps they were worried about how the Kop would react verbally to their decision to employ the liar MacKenzie on their station.

Most of the Sunday media have covered the protest, but there were two notable websites who had decided to try and ignore it.

The Sunday Times: "With yesterday’s game shown live by the BBC it started with the Kop leading a protest against Kelvin MacKenzie, recently hired by the corporation, who was editor of the The Sun during its notorious coverage of Hillsbrough. It was extraordinary, a six-minute repetition of a single chant: “Justice for the 96”. So little happened on the pitch at the time it was as if the players were waiting respectfully for the crowd to stop."

The Observer: "To say Anfield was noisy at the start of this Cup tie would be the understatement of 2007. The Kop welcomed the television cameras as promised, with a superbly orchestrated protest over slurs on fans' behaviour at Hillsborough, recently re-aired by Kelvin MacKenzie. He was editor of the Sun at the time of the original accusations. The display lasted exactly six minutes into the game - though with grim irony, fans were warned that holding up placards during play would infringe safety regulations - then switched off with military precision, to coincide with the time when the 1989 FA Cup semi-final was abandoned. The protest was replaced by the type of sustained din usually reserved for big European nights."

The Independent: "There had been an unreal air to the opening six minutes as the whole of the Kop held up red and white cards to form a giant mosaic and chanted "Justice for the 96" in support of those supporters who died at Hillsborough almost 18 years ago. Anyone whose view was obscured would have missed nothing, the first quarter of the game passing without incident."

Sunday People: "The opening six minutes were dominated by an incredible display on The Kop where, to a man, supporters held up cards which spelt out 'The Truth' in letters 20 feet high, a tribute to the 96 Liverpool fans who died at Hillsborough and a protest against the perceived injustice of so many deaths.

It prompted a frenzied atmosphere which seemed to affect both sets of players as they struggled to find any kind of pattern for the first 15 minutes with so many passes misplaced or over-hit."

Sunday Mirror: "It may be almost 18 years since the tragedy of Hillsborough, but the wounds from that terrible day in Sheffield continue to run deep.

Stirred by recent sickening comments made by the former editor of a tabloid newspaper, fans on the Kop held up cards to produce a mosaic which read: "The Truth" as they sang "Justice for the 96."

The main protest lasted until six minutes after kick-off - a reference to the time it took for the authorities at Hillsborough to realise that people were being crushed to death in the Leppings Lane end of the stadium.

When the fans eventually began to concentrate on the game, there was little to shout about."

The BBC Sport website: Nothing. Not a mention. Embarrassed? Ashamed? After all, they employed MacKenzie despite earlier protests and without any sign of concern.

The Sky Sports website: Again, nothing, not a mention. Sky aren't currently part of the boycott of The S*n, but are owned by Murdoch, the owner of The S*n. Then again, so are The Times, and they managed to mention it. Why are Sky ashamed to mention this protest?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:13 am

It will be 'interesting' to note tomorrows comments on the protest in THAT publication..... :glare:

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion