Important ruling - Barca win ruling over messi case

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:46 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/football/7518008.stm

The court ruled there was "no specific decision of the Fifa executive committee establishing the obligation for the clubs to release players under 23 for this tournament".

I believe Mascherano was born in June 1984, that would make him 24........................... will Rafa use this ruling?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:17 pm

age has nothing to do with it, Messi is under 23 Diego is over 23.   Don't think he will use it, he doesn't want to upset mascherano who really wants to play.
JoeTerp

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:14 pm

MAscherano, just liek all South Americans is firecly patriotic, and would literally die for his country, added to this is the opportunity to be the first man in history to defend the Olympic title (for football) and its pretty obvious why Rafa has reluctantly allowed him to go.

Lucas would not have started many games and the olympics would be seen as a higher standard than reserve football, plus he is under the legal age limit, as is Babel.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:49 pm

let him make history im rooting 4 u Mascherano make us proud
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:11 am

Liverpool trio stay in China for Olympics

Updated: August 6, 2008, 4:51 PM ET

* Comment
    * Email
    * Print

Liverpool have made it clear that they have no intention of forcing their players to return from the Beijing Olympics.

Suggestions Javier Mascherano, Ryan Babel and Lucas Leiva would be told to return to England have been discounted by club sources.

The confusion had arisen during the day following a ruling by the Court of Arbitration for Sport upholding an appeal from Barcelona, Werder Bremen and Schalke that allows the clubs to recall their players from the Games.

The argument has centred around the fact the Olympics do not figure in the FIFA schedule.

But Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has taken the view that although he would ideally like to have all his players available for next week's Champions League qualifier and the first day of the Premier League season, he has no intention of denying his young stars the chance of a lifetime to win an Olympic medal.

Liverpool declined to comment officially today on the surprise ruling but Benitez has let it be known he does not want to upset his three players who are about to start the tournament later this week, particularly Mascherano, who wants to win a second gold medal with Argentina.

To recall them now would certainly leave Benitez with three very unhappy players, all of whom have made it clear they want to be in China.

A club source said: 'Liverpool want to make it clear that they have no intention of denying their players their wish of playing in the tournament.'

source
JoeTerp

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:10 am

Joe - I wasn't suggesting age was everything to do with it, I was quoting the relevant section regarding overage players. It's nice that Mascherano is patriotic, but the olympics are stupidly timed and we could do with one of our most expensive players. He's won it once already if I'm not mistaken, in football's circumstances I wouldn't allow over 23s in (might even make it 21) It makes a mockery of what the olympics is about having fully professional footballers on high wages competing in yet another competition. Let the untainted kids have their go
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:45 am

I have no problem with Mascherano playing in the olympics , he is a sportsman and for any sportsman the olympics can be a once in a life time thing.

good luck to him and i hope he gets the most out of it.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:32 pm

lakes10 wrote:I have no problem with Mascherano playing in the olympics , he is a sportsman and for any sportsman the olympics can be a once in a life time thing.

good luck to him and i hope he gets the most out of it.

Oddly enough my boss, not a sports fan, was asking how footballers can compete in the olympics. It was coincidence given what I said earlier
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:54 pm

I think rafa is doing the right thing by not calling back any of the players , let them play as anyone would love to for their country , would also give them match fitness but we will miss mascherano for the start of the season . As for Lucas , well he has not have had much playing time and this would surely give him some valuable experience as well , hopefully he comes back a better player
Last edited by Toffeehater on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Umm Messi scored for Argentina ( YEhhhhhh) - he's still out there cos he wants to be - this ruling will only work when club and player both don't want participation.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:17 pm

I dont agree with football in the olympics and I certainly dont want our players there but its a fact that we have to live with and Im pleased that Rafa is supporting our players although reluctantly. 

Just imagine other players looking at Rafa under pressure standing by his olympians,  they must be thinking that guy is a good un
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion