If only we'd had 9 months with this side

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:37 am

Suddenly I'm wishing all these signings had been made last January. Once the sides bedded in a bit, I think we're going to be a real proposition in the League. Maybe Arsenal are a bit too far ahead of us for this season, but I have to say that Chelsea haven't done anything to excessively worry me so far this season. I've suddenly got half an eye on second spot.

So far, Josemi, Garcia and Alonso all look like phenomenal signings, and have got up to speed with the Premiership pretty much immediately.

If Gerrard needs a reason to stay at LFC, Alonso looks like it to me. I don't care where you look, you will not find a more exciting central midfield pairing than those two at the moment, and the fantastic thing is that they are going to get better as they learn one another's game.

Garcia is just electric. Quite how Barca couldn't find a place in their first team for him I have no idea. He's going to be a real LFC hero this season, and is the unpredictable, creative attacking force we've been lacking since Gary Mac and Litmanen left.

As for Josemi, it's as if he's been here for years. Strong in the tackle, but disciplined with it. I raised my eyebrows when we suddenly signed a right back, but with Carra impressing in the centre and Finnan suddenly looking useful as squad cover for the right of midfield, he's been an absolute bargain.

All of these three came for £18.7m. Drogba and Rooney will have to score a f*ckload of goals to prove better value than that.

Bring on the scum.
ivor_the_injun

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:55 am

i was waiting for someone to complement Josemi, i thought he was brilliant aswell.
he was actually my man of the match, but yes, the new signings, and the team as a whole just look boss man.

i actually walked out of the boozer a happy man after watching the reds last night.

under houllier i i was always walking out ****** off. i cant remember goin home feeling like that after a liverpool game.

it wasnt amazing, but the slickness, freshness, movement etc was just so beautiful for a liverpool supporter to see, after putting up with absolutely dire football for so long.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:59 am

Yeah Josemi is right handy and is impresses me more and more.
It was a joy to watch that match despite some rough edges and while there is still along way to go , I  get a feeling we are really  on the right track this time
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:04 am

I think Josemi is mint, but I agree that Alonso and Garcia are great signings too, it's early days but I feel that if Rafa continues to buy quality like he has this summer then we'll be back to where we belong be very soon.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:07 am

jim_morrison_supported_liverpool wrote:i was waiting for someone to complement Josemi, i thought he was brilliant aswell.

i previously said that Josemi's is the best signing after hyypia (comparation between price and quality), since the arrival of GH.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:25 am

Garcia looks incredible and he's already one of my favourite LFC players in the current team.  Josemi isn't a flashy defender like a lot of those at chelsea or gary neville/mikael silvestre/ferdinand at man u or Cole at Arsenal but he has been a rock on the right hand side so far.  Alonso has shown some unbelievable passing ability but in my eyes hasn't lived up to the hype.  I imagine that will come as he adjusts to the pace of the premiereship but I can already see that he can land a fifty yard pass on a threepence every time.  Rafa has shown, and not jsut in the transfer market by unearthing hidden diamonds, that he really does have the potential to make Liverpool the highest echelon of English football.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby laza » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:26 am

Pressure is on Nunez now :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:29 am

laza wrote:Pressure is on Nunez now :D

i didn't even realize we have him  :D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:30 am

If only we had 9 months with Rafa!!! No more buying of potential in the hope they may one day make it. The few buys we have made are good enough players to play alongside the established players who Rafa has decided to keep. Theres a long way to go yet but its looking great, its great to watch the boys play decent football after the last couple of years and I can see Alonso, Cisse and Garcia being Anfield heros by the end of the season. However I can see a bit of activity occuring in Jan hopefully we will be safe in the champs league with its revenue to allow Rafa the oputunity to go for players he wants. Its all good, baby, baby and will only get better. 
P.S- its 3 outta 3 for Rafa the Gafer so far will Nunez make it 4 outta 4.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:31 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:Suddenly I'm wishing all these signings had been made last January. Once the sides bedded in a bit, I think we're going to be a real proposition in the League. Maybe Arsenal are a bit too far ahead of us for this season, but I have to say that Chelsea haven't done anything to excessively worry me so far this season. I've suddenly got half an eye on second spot.

So far, Josemi, Garcia and Alonso all look like phenomenal signings, and have got up to speed with the Premiership pretty much immediately.

If Gerrard needs a reason to stay at LFC, Alonso looks like it to me. I don't care where you look, you will not find a more exciting central midfield pairing than those two at the moment, and the fantastic thing is that they are going to get better as they learn one another's game.

Garcia is just electric. Quite how Barca couldn't find a place in their first team for him I have no idea. He's going to be a real LFC hero this season, and is the unpredictable, creative attacking force we've been lacking since Gary Mac and Litmanen left.

As for Josemi, it's as if he's been here for years. Strong in the tackle, but disciplined with it. I raised my eyebrows when we suddenly signed a right back, but with Carra impressing in the centre and Finnan suddenly looking useful as squad cover for the right of midfield, he's been an absolute bargain.

All of these three came for £18.7m. Drogba and Rooney will have to score a f*ckload of goals to prove better value than that.

Bring on the scum.

Agree with most youve said there mate, think Josemi is an absolute bargain thought he was brilliant again last night, but its just about garcia which you said about him not gettin 1st team football at Barca, i didnt think he did either but he was a first team regular there and we only got him cos he had a 6m buy out clause and he wanted to work with Rafa, once again a shrewed bit of business by Benitez.
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:32 am

Someone needs to sit down with Cisse and explain the off-side rule with him, though.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:36 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Someone needs to sit down with Cisse and explain the off-side rule with him, though.  :D

:D  :D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:47 am

Explain it to my missus as well please  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:50 am

lmao, my girlfriend understands it, I think she's the only one in the world :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:54 am