How far away are we? - From a title winning squad

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby whylongball? » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:37 pm

DAV wrote:The problem I see with Liverpool is that we have more squad players, (by that i mean players u would be happy to see come of the bench) than first team starters.

exactly right
and very good points from others.
I agree with people here as well, we need a very fast creative winger and Kewell should be sold
whylongball?

Postby Bammo » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:00 pm

I'll try and keep this short so I don't just repeat what has already been said!

We need wingers that can perform consistently. Pennant and Gonzalez have shown glimpses of their talent but they either need to be 2nd choice or have someone really pushing for their position.

Voronin: Voronin goals He looks like a poacher and the kind of player weneed. Of course, there's always the factor that only his good points are included.

We potetnially need another poacher up front if Voronin isn't up to it. Although I'd love a big name striker I don't want Liverpool to be paying £45m for a player (rumoured Villa price).

Here's an interesting solution for the left wing - Robben. He's rumoured to be on his way out and he is extremely talented. On the other hand he's a cheating little git.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:18 pm

Its strange that there are so few left-wingers around these days and of those who are, most of them are VERY injury prone. For example:

-Kewell
-Vicente
-Duff
-Robben
-Gonzalez

All very injury-prone.

Personally, I'd go for either Florent Malouda or Martin Petrov for left wing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dutchman » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:26 pm

metalhead wrote:
dutchman wrote:Yes but be realisitic. Are you prepared to wait that long while he sorts even these basic parts of his game out?

He already knows his basic parts! Sissoko knows how to pass a simple short pass! if he didn't then he wouldn't play football!!! he is just p*ss poor at passing, meaning his average success pass per game is fairly low, but some of his passes actually work in some games. Also the more practice he gets the more he gets better, like they always say "practice makes perfect".

Also, to answer your question, i'm patient enough to wait for a couple of years to judge him as a player.

Well there's patience and then there's the need to get it right (and take the plaudits) or get it wrong and accept the consequences. While Momo is busy "practising" we can't afford to see Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho fighting over the one competition that we all want more than any other.

You say you are patient enough but taking your stance would be a massive gamble on the outcome of the next two or three seasons for LFC. You can only truly judge him on first team performances so I'm assuming that you would keep him as a first team regular?

Rafa clearly rates him so maybe you're right and I'm worng - who knows? But I'm now waiting for Rafa to build a side that will be genuine title contenders - not since we last we won it have we offered a serious threat of winning it again. Winning cups is fine - but I don't want Liverpool to be regarded merely as a good cup side - being Champions is the big one and it's a little overdue for this club of ours.

That's Rafa's responsibility not just his job and I'm counting on him to get it right and I actually think he will but another season of finishing 20 points adrift is going to test everyone's patience.
dutchman

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:30 pm

Franck Ribery could be an option now the word cup hype has died down.

also David Silva a young spanish winger for valencia who i've been told is an exciting prospect - but ive never seen him play
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:33 pm

Yes I agree the wings are still a problem. I would rule out Alves coming in and Gerrard being farmed out to the left though. The teams more important to individuals to Rafa and although I would be disapointed, I would not rule it out. Rafa likes to spring surprises.

Also what about this Leto lad? He is coming in the summer, its already a done deal and he is a left winger?
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:37 pm

Redman in wales wrote:Franck Ribery could be an option now the word cup hype has died down.

yeah, with our brilliant history of successful french signings, why not? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:43 pm

Redman in wales wrote:Franck Ribery could be an option now the word cup hype has died down.

also David Silva a young spanish winger for valencia who i've been told is an exciting prospect - but ive never seen him play

Silva played against England for Spain and looked decent, that is the only time i have seen him though so not sure about how he would cope with the physical nature of the premiership.
To be fair though he gave as good as he got with Neville.

Ribery is class and could play either side, i am sure he would jump at the chance of joining the newly crowned 6 time European champs. Not sure what sort of fee he would go for now the world cup hype has gone.
Someone like purerso...or whatever his name is would know though.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:53 pm

stmichael wrote:

yeah, with our brilliant history of successful french signings, why not? :D

they weren't all bad! -

Djimi Traore was a brilliant player......

:laugh:
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:02 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:I would rule out Alves coming in and Gerrard being farmed out to the left though. The teams more important to individuals to Rafa and although I would be disapointed, I would not rule it out. Rafa likes to spring surprises.

Actually an interesting suggestion, despite what the people who get their opinions from Sky would say.

The two ways in which this would work would be when Gerrard cuts inside (which would open up space for a shot or a through ball) and helping out Riise in defence (an area where we struggle when it's Gonzalez).

However, Gerrard would rarely be able to skin their right back and whip a cross in because he's not the most two-footed. He could always look for the Riise overlap, but I think we'd suffer.

Rafa did try this once or twice, and although by no means a long-term solution it would certainly be effective against very right-footed right backs.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:43 pm

We definitely need a striker who can score 20+ goals a season. It doesn't have to be a big-name signing like villa or torres. Rather someone who can play well with kuyt. I won't mind jermaine defoe or even robbie keane. Another player we need is a good right sided winger. And you may be surprised with this but I would want to replace reina too. he's a decent keeper but he's just not convincing enough when it comes to crosses, corners and long balls and he fumbles alot. He's great at stopping penalties but I prefered dudek alot more when he was at his best. reina is just jnot in the same league as van der sar or petre chech. I say get Iker casillas.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:46 pm

maguskwt wrote:And you may be surprised with this but I would want to replace reina too. he's a decent keeper but he's just not convincing enough when it comes to crosses, corners and long balls and he fumbles alot. He's great at stopping penalties but I prefered dudek alot more when he was at his best.

:Oo:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby KRobbo10 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:49 pm

I think the main reason why man u are at the top and we are 3rd is because they have ronaldo, in my view if we spend out on wingers we would be good enough to have a serious challenge next season.
KRobbo10

Postby grayghost » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:51 pm

A striker is a must villa is world class in the making he just needs a bigger stage to showcase his talents on liverpool is ideal for him. Alves to with thease two additions and maybe a winger say simeo i think we cam win the lot
grayghost

Postby KRobbo10 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:56 pm

Yes I agree with that, but instead of simeo I would like to see SWP or Lennon, I know they would cost alot and it would take a lot of work to sway Chelsea or Tottenham to sell but they would make a big difference in our team.
KRobbo10

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion