Henchoz - Why has he become so bad...........

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby gabbyh » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:36 pm

when he had such a good understanding with Hyppia?
They used to be our solid defence under Houllier. Have I got it wrong?
gabbyh

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:43 pm

Never had any pace, our defence played too deep, going slightly rusty in his old age, Benitez wants to play a higher defensive line with pacier players, you name it, it was time for a change, Henchoz payed the penalty.  Carragher has become one of our most important players also, as well as the emergence of Traore this season.

One of those things.  Thank you for the good times, good luck and goodbye.
Last edited by jonnymac1979 on Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonnymac1979

Postby gabbyh » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:57 pm

So can you explain the defence Zone system Rafa prefers. Sorry, am a bit lost here.
gabbyh

Postby taff » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:00 pm

If your a bit lost mate you should have dropped some crumbs so you could find your way back

Keep up now

Henchoz is too slow although a good servant to the club
Zonal is marking an area instead of a player re Arsenal back 4 under Adams

Its best done when player attack the ball from set pieces instead of reacting to the cross etc in their own zonal part of the defensive lineup

It also ensures that all key attack areas are covered by defenders
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gabbyh » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:17 pm

Thanks taff. I have followed your crumbs and now understand.
Doh!

So why don't our defence?

OK OK, am being too harsh! But then, I am not a footballer on xgrand a week.

BTW, wasn't Adam's slow? If he could understand zonal marking why can't our expensive defense? and why is Henchoz deemed slow?

I realise I sound stupid, but is zonal marking a continental thing more than a EPL thing? Do we need more continental players?
gabbyh

Postby bigmick » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:33 pm

Zonal marking has in its roots a coach who has time to work with the players. In itself it is not so complicated but is defo more involved than man to man. This is probably why its never really got off the ground over here. We probably spend less time coaching our kids than most countries on the continent. Marking from set-pieces at all but the highest of levels is decided almost off the cuff. "I'll pick the big ginger lad up, you take the fat bloke with the bald head" etc etc. On the continent, even from a young age they tend to work on such things.
The reality is of course that on parks throughout the country, zonal marking is unwittingly practiced every weekend. The reason being that the standard of the man marking is so poor and the disparity in heading ability so great that each team normally has one bloke who attacks it and heads away almost regardless of where the ball is aimed or where his particular 'man' is. His 'zone' is infact the penalty area. .
As a final point, trends and fashion extend to all things even football tactics. Zonal marking in its purest form is going through something of a downturn in popularity just now because of the excessive levels of interference that are permitted at the moment between defenders and attackers. This encourages teams to man-mark. Thats ok of course until theres a UEFA directive to punish holding, pulling etc from corners. Zonal will be the new black once again then.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gabbyh » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:45 pm

Thanx Mick.
gabbyh

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:28 pm

Basically Henchoz's still a quality player. Its nothing to do with zonal marking or not. The problem is he doesn't have the pace to recover if someone does get past him.

Rafa wants to play a high line which leaves space behind for pacey players to run into so it becomes a key attribute in the system.

As good as Henhoz is, he lacks the ball playing ability (not the technique and skill level) to play and he also doesn't have the pace required.

He's done well, but its time for a change. :)
115-1073096938

Postby Woollyback » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:32 pm

Henchoz has been a great servant to the club, hope he does well wherever he ends up :cool:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:08 pm

I was always a big fan of Henchoz. Good no nonsense, no frills defender.

BTW, zonal marking is not new to Liverpool. It may surprise many people to learn that Dalglish's side of the mid to late 1980s deployed a zonal marking defensive system, but it was flexible and players were allowed to attack the ball in another player's zone if the opportunity arose.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:26 pm

Put his penalty away last night as well as any scored by Shearer !!   The lad's a star !!  If he go's I hope he get's a good club and deal !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:49 am

The most sensible thing you've ever said.

No argument. :)
115-1073096938

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:57 am

i agree, he had the balls as senior pro to stand up and be counted
112-1077774096

Postby SouthernScouser » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:10 pm

We probably had one of the best Premiership Defensive records (if someone looks up the stats) under Hyppia & Henchoz since the Premiership was formed - they were a joy to watch - pity we couldn't attack much at the time
Henchoz did the business, but is a bit too old and slow now
SouthernScouser

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:05 pm

i am with everyone on this topic, but the thing is, Henchoz has been replaced by Carragher, who also lacks pace. i have a feeling Henchoz has been replaced not JUST cos he's slow but cos Carragher is (if it was ever possible) better at stopping attackers. i think it could be that simple.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion