Happy days - At last

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:46 am

I know its early but I am delighted to at last still be in the title race as we enter september.

last year some of you mocked the likes of me and bigmick for being open and saying our start had put us out the race, of course we were proved to be right, just as we were when we voiced our concerns about rotation (rotation just for the sake of rotating) weakening the team. also it appears we may have been right about rafa not taking some teams seriously and that cost us big time.

so lets turn to why we are doing well this season, we are doing well because at last rafa is putting faith in his players and allowing them to attack, there seems to be no more worrying about the oppo and setting up to counter them, now it seems like we will let them worry about us.

of course we have a stronger squad now so resting some players doesn't harm the team like it has done in the past, we are not even having to rely on other teams slipping up, and but for rob styles we would have a 100% start to the season as opposed to dropping 2 niggling points against our competition for the title, of course it helps that man u and chelsea seem to be falling apart at the seams buts its great that we are not relying on that.

what i saw on saturday was a team brimming with confidence, a team that has learnt the art of killing teams off (i know its only derby, but last season it was only sheffield wednesday and look what happened), and we did this without gerrard driving forward, he would have had a field day on saturday and probably would have gotten us into double figures.

one sour point and thats kuyt, how long is the guy going to be given before people realise that he is not what we need, like i have said if you give me a tenner a week i would burst a lung for liverpool but doesnt mean i am good enough for them. get him on the bench and lets see crouch and torres or voronin and torres more.

well torres is class, absolute class guys and its brilliant that we have him, oh how I wish we were playing man utd next.
112-1077774096

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:17 am

I think this year we have put pressure on other teams before the season even kicked off.

I also think that game vrs chavski won us more then just 3 points id rob hadnt made the mistake we total dominated chavski and they knew it i feel we sucked some of there confidence out of them in that game and manc's know they played well above there standed last season and this year they really do fear us.

And so they should we have by far the strongest team in prem we have great cover in almosty every postion a massive youth team. I wont get to carried away but things are looking good and like you always say you cant win the prem in first 8 weeks but you really can lose it so so far so good.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:23 am

peewee is happy... what next? a squadron of flying pigs?

muahaha. yup things are looking good !!!!

come on REDMEN  :buttrock

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ydde » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:55 am

Yes, it's happy days again! Finally for us long suffering fans.

My opinion is that we should just take it one game at a time. Right now, the team is looking good, our strikers are scoring goals, and we are top of the league. But many things can still happen, injuries, loss of form, bad refereeing etc. I'm just saying let's not get carried away, sure, celebrate the fact that we are top, and we have a good start. But just keep in mind that there will be some days when things can go wrong.

For now, I will celebrate the fact that in September, we are not debating whether we will get fourth place.
Ydde

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:34 am

yeah lets get carried away, we deserve it a little considering how we have started the season   :D

seriously i know we need to be cautious, its just the start but I am happy we are now playing good football and pressuring other teams, we are also capable of breaking teams down now.

i also feel if kewell returns we will see even better football as the left hand side is missing him.

and babu, if pigs could fly you would be a squadron leader   :D
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:25 am

It does look from the early stages that Rafa is prepared to let his players go out and attack the opposition more this season.

I think the team looks finely balanced at the moment, getting the right mix between defending well as a unit and attacking well as a unit. We've had the foundations in place for a while, Rafa brought in Reina and Agger to what we've already had. So defensively the team is sound, same with central midfield again capable of screening the back four, we've been solid there for a while now.

The additions made in the summer we're whats needed, two more creative attacking midfielders in Beneyoun and Babel and of course an out and out striker in Torres. Now with them in the side/squad and Stevie in the middle we pose much more of a threat going forward.

It wouldnt of surprised me last year to see us either win that Derby game 1-0 while controlling the game but unable to get a second. We just didnt look ruthless enough, now we do !
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:39 am

May this happy days and trust in the Gaffer last a long time.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:50 pm

It wouldnt of surprised me last year to see us either win that Derby game 1-0 while controlling the game but unable to get a second. We just didnt look ruthless enough, now we do !

we are surely more ruthless but i would still prefer our strikers to be more clinical, especially when it comes to playing against the big boys
Other than that i'm happy and wary for the next game
whylongball?

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:50 am

Sadly it appears that a draw has put the title tilt on hold for another season . . . . .
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:56 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Sadly it appears that a draw has put the title tilt on hold for another season . . . . .

Tedious.
66-1112520797

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:11 pm

No, the title tilt is well and truly still on thank goodness. Saturday may actually prove to be a bit of a blessing in disguise if we learn the lessons from it. It's not the end of the World to draw at Portsmouth, and if it ensures that we don't get carried away again into thinking we can afford to take the p!ss with team selection on decent teams Home grounds, some good will come out of it. Gerrard and Torres can't play every game, neither can Carragher and Agger. But if you are going to rest one of them, then play the other if you have a choice.

Hopefully Saturday was the last of the silliness in terms of selection on decent teams home grounds. If we must lark about, play who you like at Home agasinst birmingham on Saturday, get it out of your system and then lets get back to the serious business of trying to win the league.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion