Games that were gut wrenchers ! - That gonna hurt in the morning !

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:14 am

Thinking about the forthcoming Bayer Leverkusen game caused me to cast my mind back to the Bayer Arena in 2002 when we were 3 minutes from the Semi Final of the CL.

I'd place this game in my TOP 3 Gut-wrenching defeats. The others being the 1999 Fa Cup tie against the Mancs and the 1977 Fa Cup Final defeat to the same .......

Now I realise we all love talking about famous victories but what are your gut wrenching defeats and why  :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mike72 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:24 am

How's about losing the league title to Arsenal in the last minute ofthe last game at Anfield for a gut wrencher...
mike72

Postby Dalglish » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:25 am

Mike, stop it , your depressing me !!!!!!! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:34 am

I can't think of any games before this year as I didn't watch many games due to the fact that painting walls here is more popular than footie, sad but true.

Most gut wretching game of this season is the one against Chelsea at home. Damn  Riley
Last edited by A.B. on Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:28 am

mike72 wrote:How's about losing the league title to Arsenal in the last minute ofthe last game at Anfield for a gut wrencher...

Spot on. Digger & Aldo were celebrating when Michael Thomas crash the party. I was heart broken for a month...
only Bayern's fans can share the same feeling  :(
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:59 am

In actual fact, Bayerns dying second capitulation to the mankies ranks right up there with me. It never fails to irritate me whenever they are involved and the BBC/ITV/SKY swing their collective might behind them and slavishly simper "All of Britain is on the side of Manchester tonight", "A nation expects" etc etc etc. I'm no closet Bayern fan but you can take it as red that the cat got a good old pasting in my house that night. It's not very often that the Germans are unlucky but feck me they were that night. At least none of our FOUR European Cups were based on such highway robberies. Best team in Europe? Don't make me laugh.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:01 am

plus mick, we were champions when we won the European Cup. Manure weren't.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:05 am

Didnt the mancs win the treble that season... and had already wrapped up the premiership by that stage ???
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:09 am

yes, but they qualified for the Cl that year by being 2nd in the league the previous season, so therefore they didn't win the the CL as champions of England, where as when we won all 4 of our European Cups you had to be champions to qualify.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:12 am

Possibly Starbie, possibly. However, LFC#1 is spot on. When we won it was called the European Cup but was infact the Champions League (work that one out) in that you had to be Champions in your respective country before you could get in.
To be absolutely fair to Man U and in the interests os balance, ther was one occasion when they had a really good side and could possibly have laid claim to being the best team in Europe that year. They absolutely battered Dortmund I think in the semi, home and away and got done 1-0 in both matches.
Having said that who cares.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:20 am

i think for me it was as a ten year old watching the 1977 fa cup final. i dont think i realised the enormity of the treble at that time but it was heartbreaking to lose to the mancs, and that was before i realised how much i hated the b@stards.

however it was sweet a few days later watching us win the european cup   :)
112-1077774096

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:31 am

A.B. wrote:I can't think of any games before this year as I didn't watch many games due to the fact that painting walls here is more popular than footie, sad but true.

You mean cus you only started suppoting Liverpool last year you muppet.  :D
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:33 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
A.B. wrote:I can't think of any games before this year as I didn't watch many games due to the fact that painting walls here is more popular than footie, sad but true.

You mean cus you only started suppoting Liverpool last year you muppet.  :D

i noticed that but i didnt like to say anything, and he has the nerve to argue with people who where going the game before he was even a sperm    :D
112-1077774096

Postby 84-1106852058 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:43 pm

peewee wrote:i think for me it was as a ten year old watching the 1977 fa cup final. i dont think i realised the enormity of the treble at that time but it was heartbreaking to lose to the mancs, and that was before i realised how much i hated the b@stards.

however it was sweet a few days later watching us win the european cup   :)

That was the killer for me too.I can still remember my mothers words,Oh its only a game,theirs another next week.Laid back or stupid,........yeah I thought so to.
84-1106852058

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:45 pm

Dalglish wrote:Thinking about the forthcoming Bayer Leverkusen game caused me to cast my mind back to the Bayer Arena in 2002 when we were 3 minutes from the Semi Final of the CL.

I'd place this game in my TOP 3 Gut-wrenching defeats. The others being the 1999 Fa Cup tie against the Mancs and the 1977 Fa Cup Final defeat to the same .......

Now I realise we all love talking about famous victories but what are your gut wrenching defeats and why  :D

that 1999 game against manure was a disgrace. yorke in th 88th minute and solksjaer in the 105th or whatever it was. he then went and did the same in the champions league final. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion