Forgotten hero's - Ping pong, mellor, warnock et all

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat May 28, 2005 11:36 pm

Spare a thought for the forgotten heroes

Dave Usher
Friday May 27th, 2005
The Liverpool Way

As the victorious Liverpool squad paraded around the City yesterday evening in front of an estimated crowd of around a million people, there were a couple of notable absentee's from the open top bus.

Two young men who's contribution to the club's fifth European Cup triumph was so great, that without them the club would not have advanced through the group stage let alone won the trophy.

Yet whilst their team-mates enjoyed the once in a lifetime moment of parading the greatest club trophy on the planet in front of an adoring, ecstatic public, Neil Mellor, Florent Sinama-Pongolle and several of their team-mates made their way home despondantly, after the bus left without them.

The players who didn't make the 18 man squad were on a different flight to Rafa, Gerrard & co, and the plan was for them to rendezvous with them at a meeting point where they would all board the bus and set off.

The second flight was a little behind the first one, but Merseyside Police would not let the bus driver wait for the second party to arrive, and insisted they left without them.

However, no-one even phoned the lads to say what was happening, they only found out when they got there to discover the bus had already gone.

I was told this morning that the lads arrived less than five minutes late, but the bus had already left. Some were close to tears, and nothing anyone says or does now can make up for what they missed out on.

Although it was the police who insisted that the bus leave before everyone arrived, the players feel that the club could have offered more resistance and waited until everybody arrived.

Rafa Benitez appears blameless, as it was not his responsibility to check who was on the bus, and it was only once the tour had got under way he noticed that not everyone was there. By then it was too late.

John Welsh watched the parade with his mates alongside the fans.

David Raven and Darren Potter managed to board the bus at the Jolly Miller after they had returned to Melwood to get their cars only to be told to go and meet the bus before it headed off to Anfield.

Others, including Mellor, Pongolle, Kirkland, Morientes and Pellegrino were not so lucky. Stephen Warnock missed out too, which capped a terrible week for him on a personal level.

Warnock's name was on the original 18 man squad list which was pinned on the wall at Melwood. He was told by the coaching staff on saturday to make sure he brought his boots on Monday as he was in the travelling squad.

The delighted lifelong Liverpool fan had told all his friends and family his great news, only to receive a phone call from Pako Ayesteran later that day saying the club had made a mistake, that he shouldn't have been on the list and the final place in the squad was being given to Josemi.

Naturally, Warnock was left devastated. This is a lad who has dreamed all his life of representing Liverpool in a major final. It's what kept him going as he battled back from three leg breaks.

That dream turned into a nightmare following that call from Ayesteran, and to not even get a place on the open top bus after the part he's played this season rubbed salt into the open wound.

Without Flo and Mellor we wouldn't be celebrating this amazing triumph, whilst Warnock was the best player on the pitch in Leverkusen, and has never given anything less than complete commitment to the cause.

Surely they have more right to be on that bus than many of those who were on it? Even Mad Salif somehow managed to get on there for God's sake!

I looked at Josemi at the front of the bus, a man who has not even bothered to learn English yet despite being in the country for nine months, and it just didn't seem fair that he was there whilst the two lads who turned the Olympiacos game on its head were left behind heartbroken.

Morientes and Pellegrino are experienced pro's who've seen it all and been a part of many victory parades during their illustrious careers, yet both were apparently close to tears.

I hear poor little Flo was actually in tears, and my heart goes out to the lad. He should have been there, he deserved to be there.

There was a lot of anger, disappointment and hurt amongst those who missed out, and a feeling amongst some that the club didn't care about them. I can't say I blame them for feeling that way.

So amidst all the euphoria we're feeling at the moment, spare a thought for the lads who have seen what would perhaps have been the greatest day of their lives completely ruined.

Sad that, I thought it looked a little empty on the bus when I saw the pictures. Glad that Diao got nowhere near the bus though. Did you see the cheeky tw.at on the pitch in Istanbul?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat May 28, 2005 11:44 pm

Yeah ,for a minute I thought "Who the Fu'ck is that ? " Couldn't belive Diao  was there . Totally agree with your sentiment about Warnock .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Gareth G » Sun May 29, 2005 12:49 am

F*ck me, that totally anger's me to be honest. Those kid's play with their heart and the likes of Diao, Josemi and few other's take all the credit. That is f*cking hateful, how can they ever forgive for something like that? That is trully unbelievable and shouldn't have been allowed.

I say they do another tour and include those who were left out - and make Diao and co f*ck off. Serious on this too lad's, but then again, it wouldn't be the same. :( :( :( :angry: :angry:
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Sun May 29, 2005 12:51 am

Something seriously need's to be done for those guy's, something BIG.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Sun May 29, 2005 12:53 am

Sorry for posting in here again, but totally disgusted and gutted for the lad's. I'm sitting here with lump's in my throat and fighting back tear's. Can't believe this.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun May 29, 2005 12:57 am

:( that's really sad.. given the tour started so late anyway.. what difference wud another 5 minutes have made... :(

Mmmorientes was jumping around like he had won it.. Pongolle was dancing on the podium, delighted and the others will have celebrated too that grt night ... how sad.. to miss out on the adulation of a milion people :( that's left a rather unplesant taste.. :(
Last edited by zarababe on Sun May 29, 2005 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ROBtheRED » Sun May 29, 2005 1:37 am

that is very sad for hose lads- they deserved to be on that bus

was it just me or was sami hyypia not on the bus - i couldnt see him? (but i was drinking champagne!)
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 29, 2005 2:09 am

i honestly cant see there being any sinister reasons why the  club left them behind, they even went to the trouble of flying out the stewards, cooks and cleaners to istanbul to see the game as a thank you so i`m pretty sure the police must have put the arm on the club good style to get the parade going without some of the players that made the whole thing possible. probably told the club it was a public saftey issue or something. whatever the reason it is tragic that the lads missed the parade.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun May 29, 2005 3:04 am

That is not right at all. Which b*stard made the bus go? I say we all go round his/her gaff and kick the sh*t out of him/her. Thoughtless c*nt. (And no-one can accuse me of being sexist!!!!):D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Sun May 29, 2005 4:14 am

It'd have to be the 5-0's fault at this, they would have pressured the bus to go, as there probably was pressure from the Liverpool council. Poor kids, they deserved it, especially Pongo and Mellor.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Sun May 29, 2005 12:11 pm

im fighting back tears when i read this.unbelievable that this happened.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Sun May 29, 2005 12:18 pm

actually,i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw diao in the telly ... funny on how he could be joining in the celebration .. he doesn't deserve it.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun May 29, 2005 12:21 pm

siti_zaiton1982 wrote:actually,i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw diao in the telly ... funny on how he could be joining in the celebration .. he doesn't deserve it.

for a split second, i thought he was mario melchiot.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun May 29, 2005 12:37 pm

read that on RAWK, poor form. :(
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Sun May 29, 2005 2:25 pm

Yeah, I was like what the f*ck does that tw*t want?

Couldn't stop thinking about the lad's last night ( no gay jokes please, not the right time ) and how they must feel. If any of them are stubborn enough that could spell the end of their day's at Anfield.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion