Differences

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:59 am

Years ago through one of those tenuous links my niece and nephew went to anfield with a family friend who worked in Spain and met alonso and Garcia. They insisted on speaking English as Rafa insisted on this and was apparently very strict about it. He also made different people sit together to increase the team bonding.

On the bbc today it says that Aspas only learnt how to say one word which was yes.

A silly topic perhaps but with the debates on the forum it made me think about Rodgers the great motivator and great manager compared to Rafa the cold uncaring one. BR great for some but not others.

One guy stood by crouch in his goal drought. One guy highlighted shirt swapping with Mario and cleverly deflected the blame and result on to a cartoon villain.

One guy made a club icon change position to benefit the team while another, well we know what happened there. The team came first not a relationship with an icon at all costs.

While I am a self confessed Rafa fan I can see his shortcomings as well but as we debate another manager or BR staying I would love to see a strong manager who does put the club and fans first end of. Players come and go even SG left in the end and what is now left. A manager who went out of his way to please him and it looks like the rest of the squad have lost their way either through apathy, hate, jealousy whatever but BR must now pickup the pieces from the mess his weakness has created. How can he be the strong manager when the ex captain says how he was consulted regularly over everything it seems. Brendan is brilliant, well if my boss gave me carte Blanche I'd be happy as well. But if I'm honest a boss who pushes you regardless of your personal relationship is the best kind.

Just to end this long and winding piece. Would my hero Uncle Bob have let this situation develop. Would he have been rafaesque or BResque.

I genuinely respect your philosophy BR even if I do think you are a bit of a BSer but this is anfield put your medals on the table that's what it's about. Do I want a day out in Wembley or the satisfaction that extremely well paid footballers are developing as people under your guidance. And while you so eloquently tell us how you doing this lets never get Alberto Aspas Mario manquillo Markovic illori and a good few others in a room together as they may have a different opinion, what's next eh. SG recommended them not you.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:35 am

It all comes down to respect IMO. Rodgers famous quote is that young players will run through barbed wire for you while older players look for a hole. What he needs to get is that no one will even approach the fence unless they respect you. He thinks he has this because he is the manager but it takes more than a title to get it. He has to earn the respect of his players and its something that he does not have and won't get either as he seems to treat one bunch one way and another differently.
Since he got the job it has been said that he was influenced by senior players IE: Carra and Gerrard but when they go he rushes out and gets milner so he can cosy up to him. He makes him Vice Captain and parades him about like he is the dogs balls which is bound to have put a few noses out of joint. He actually said that some of his other players need to take a leaf out of milners book and learn from him because he was the ultimate professional.

A dressing room is like any other work environment where you have a boss, If your boss is sound and treats you with respect then that is when you will gladly go the extra distance. If he is a T*ss*r then when he tells you to do something you still do it but are muttering under your breath and are waiting at the clock in machine 2 minutes before finishing time.

I have zero sympathy for him as this is a situation he has spent 3 years moulding and because of the way he does things its no surprise where we are. The kind of lift this club needs now can only come with a new manager at the helm. Preferably one with a little more experience than ego...
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:47 pm

red till i die!! » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:35 am wrote:It all comes down to respect IMO. Rodgers famous quote is that young players will run through barbed wire for you while older players look for a hole. What he needs to get is that no one will even approach the fence unless they respect you. He thinks he has this because he is the manager but it takes more than a title to get it. He has to earn the respect of his players and its something that he does not have and won't get either as he seems to treat one bunch one way and another differently.
Since he got the job it has been said that he was influenced by senior players IE: Carra and Gerrard but when they go he rushes out and gets milner so he can cosy up to him. He makes him Vice Captain and parades him about like he is the dogs balls which is bound to have put a few noses out of joint. He actually said that some of his other players need to take a leaf out of milners book and learn from him because he was the ultimate professional.

A dressing room is like any other work environment where you have a boss, If your boss is sound and treats you with respect then that is when you will gladly go the extra distance. If he is a T*ss*r then when he tells you to do something you still do it but are muttering under your breath and are waiting at the clock in machine 2 minutes before finishing time.

I have zero sympathy for him as this is a situation he has spent 3 years moulding and because of the way he does things its no surprise where we are. The kind of lift this club needs now can only come with a new manager at the helm. Preferably one with a little more experience than ego...

What happens when you put an average manager alongside seasoned proven champions and winners?
Answers above^^^
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:11 pm

To me Brendan could almost be a Blairite politician the way he says one thing but does another, stylistically he talks about building a Barcelona on the banks of the Mersey yet 3 years in we look more like Wimbledon or Stoke, he talks about us passing the ball when in reality we hoof it, he talks about us pressing when in reality we drop off, he talks about developing young technical players when in reality he sends them out on loan and packs his team full of prem proven yeomen, he talks about us having character when in reality we cave in at the slightest setback, he talks about loyalty yet ditches his back room team......I could go on and on, it's all double speak and contradiction.
The fans aren't soft, they know when someone is talking shyte, it's got to the stage where a lot of fans can't even bear to listen to his post match press conferences anymore.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby The_Rock » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:19 pm

taff » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:59 pm wrote:Years ago through one of those tenuous links my niece and nephew went to anfield with a family friend who worked in Spain and met alonso and Garcia. They insisted on speaking English as Rafa insisted on this and was apparently very strict about it. He also made different people sit together to increase the team bonding.

On the bbc today it says that Aspas only learnt how to say one word which was yes.

A silly topic perhaps but with the debates on the forum it made me think about Rodgers the great motivator and great manager compared to Rafa the cold uncaring one. BR great for some but not others.

One guy stood by crouch in his goal drought. One guy highlighted shirt swapping with Mario and cleverly deflected the blame and result on to a cartoon villain.

One guy made a club icon change position to benefit the team while another, well we know what happened there. The team came first not a relationship with an icon at all costs.

While I am a self confessed Rafa fan I can see his shortcomings as well but as we debate another manager or BR staying I would love to see a strong manager who does put the club and fans first end of. Players come and go even SG left in the end and what is now left. A manager who went out of his way to please him and it looks like the rest of the squad have lost their way either through apathy, hate, jealousy whatever but BR must now pickup the pieces from the mess his weakness has created. How can he be the strong manager when the ex captain says how he was consulted regularly over everything it seems. Brendan is brilliant, well if my boss gave me carte Blanche I'd be happy as well. But if I'm honest a boss who pushes you regardless of your personal relationship is the best kind.

Just to end this long and winding piece. Would my hero Uncle Bob have let this situation develop. Would he have been rafaesque or BResque.

I genuinely respect your philosophy BR even if I do think you are a bit of a BSer but this is anfield put your medals on the table that's what it's about. Do I want a day out in Wembley or the satisfaction that extremely well paid footballers are developing as people under your guidance. And while you so eloquently tell us how you doing this lets never get Alberto Aspas Mario manquillo Markovic illori and a good few others in a room together as they may have a different opinion, what's next eh. SG recommended them not you.

Simply put...that is an awesome post. You really hit all the nails.

Its quite evident the players are going through the motions as there are problems in the dressing room.

a)There is no leadership.
b)The manager (head coach) shows biasness, favouritism so f**king openly.
c)Apparently if you are the captain (or even assistant captain), you get to play every match and will not get substituted no matter how badly you play..

I can list down so many other stuff...but I reckon you guys should already know this. The age of Rodgers has been a total disappointment for me. A total waste of time. There will be no legacy to be cherished when he eventually leaves this club.

Have to mention again....that is an awesome analytical post.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:25 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:11 pm wrote:To me Brendan could almost be a Blairite politician the way he says one thing but does another, stylistically he talks about building a Barcelona on the banks of the Mersey yet 3 years in we look more like Wimbledon or Stoke, he talks about us passing the ball when in reality we hoof it, he talks about us pressing when in reality we drop off, he talks about developing young technical players when in reality he sends them out on loan and packs his team full of prem proven yeomen, he talks about us having character when in reality we cave in at the slightest setback, he talks about loyalty yet ditches his back room team......I could go on and on, it's all double speak and contradiction.
The fans aren't soft, they know when someone is talking shyte, it's got to the stage where a lot of fans can't even bear to listen to his post match press conferences anymore.

Gave up listening to that clown talking through his hole well over a year ago. Post and pre match  :nod  Even if he actually managed to win something with us I would change the channel before a mic was put in front of him. I didn't like souness and wasn't fond of hodgson but without a shadow of a doubt I can say that I cannot fooking stand Brendan Rodgers.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:47 am

red till i die!! » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:25 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:11 pm wrote:To me Brendan could almost be a Blairite politician the way he says one thing but does another, stylistically he talks about building a Barcelona on the banks of the Mersey yet 3 years in we look more like Wimbledon or Stoke, he talks about us passing the ball when in reality we hoof it, he talks about us pressing when in reality we drop off, he talks about developing young technical players when in reality he sends them out on loan and packs his team full of prem proven yeomen, he talks about us having character when in reality we cave in at the slightest setback, he talks about loyalty yet ditches his back room team......I could go on and on, it's all double speak and contradiction.

Gave up listening to that clown talking through his hole well over a year ago. Post and pre match  :nod  Even if he actually managed to win something with us I would change the channel before a mic was put in front of him. I didn't like souness and wasn't fond of hodgson but without a shadow of a doubt I can say that I cannot fooking stand Brendan Rodgers.

Hahahaha! I'm the same...
If BR is on the box in the mornings (as he was this morning) I just walk out the room holding my LFC mug of tea. If he's on in the afternoon, I walk out with my glass of Ribena. If he's on in the evening I walk out holding my glass of Brandy. I just don't listen anymore; I'd rather watch Rafa's 'FACT' press conference and wonder, what IF!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:15 am

I have often wondered how a bad defeats affect our players but when I read comments from some of our players I get the impression they couldn't be arsed and just brush it off.
After the west ham game lovren had declared 2 days later that he had already put the defeat behind him and moved on. This irks me that they don't seem bothered when most fans spend ages cracking up, I mean the west-ham game 3 weeks ago is still raw in my mind because of the manner that we capitulated in. They were going to show their character at OT though and when that came they crumbled again before the worst united team I have seen since moyes managed them. We got handed our hole on a plate by stoke last season which nobody other than the players is likely to ever forget but I would bet they will remember the party they had after it  :angry:
I am mentioning this because the Llama has an interview on the Offal and he says
Lallana added: “It’s our job to play football and no matter how we do - no matter whether it’s good or bad - people are always going to have their opinions. It’s best we just concentrate on doing our job and let people speculate, whether it’s good, bad or indifferent.

This lad is the king of nothing interviews and the jester of football. He has yet to put in a decent performance that comes close to justifying even a quarter of his fee and then you hear him say shyte like that  :angry:  He would be better off busting a fecking nut for the club he works for and the fans that show up or tune in to watch him rather than think I am brilliant and its only your opinion that I am not.

When suarez left so did any ounce of a fight we had in us  :down:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:33 pm

Good thread starter Taff.

Differences between Rafa and Rodgers

Where do I begin ?

I'll try and keep it simple

Rafa was a leader, Rodgers isn't.

Rafa was straight talking, Rodgers is a used car salesman.

Rafa won trophy's with us, Rodgers hasn't.

Rafa was never slow to go to war with anyone for LFC, Rodgers avoids confrontation.

Rafa was loved by most, Rodgers isn't.

Can only dream about what we would have achieved if Rafa was still with us and had the kind of backing that Rodgers has received from our current owners     :down:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby johnbarnes » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:44 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:33 pm wrote:Good thread starter Taff.

Where do I begin ?

Rafa was never slow to go to war with anyone for LFC, Rodgers avoids confrontation.

Can only dream about what we would have achieved if Rafa was still with us and had the kind of backing that Rodgers has received from our current owners     :down:

^^^Frightening isn't it?
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:13 pm

There will be comparisons but that wasn't my main aim rather I was thinking about the differences and how we have sadly got used to them. I think with all his faults Rafa was a club first person and a winner.

After the suarez sturridge season I desperately wanted to believe in BR but I can't ignore some issues that won't go away.

On the times football podcast one journalist piped up after BR was being defended to say he's spent nearly 300 million and he bloody sits on the transfer committee why is everyone sticking up for him as if its not his responsibility. I can't understand this at all. Good players his, if they fail the committee. are we as fans so desperate or now used to mediocrity that some of us actually agree with this complete nonsense.

Philosophies, style of play etc. What is it. What is going on where are we and what are we trying to achieve. This buffoonery is embarrassing. Martinez is widely credited in Swansea before BR.  he might have just lost his way or whatever but we since Rafa left have been going downhill and now it seems were accustomed to it. For me the warning signs were the champions league games last year. Forget Madrid we had shockers against teams who combined don't come anywhere near our net, gross whatever spend. That is used as a excuse when compared to Chelsea or man City well after Ludogrets what is the reason then. A man who is out of his depth thats what.

I hate manager change and don't have any person issues against Brendan but this is a serious situation were in. The team look lost and this needs to be addressed.

F***c philosophy systems etc. Uncle Bob when asked what his philosophy was said WINNING GAMES.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:20 pm

johnbarnes » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:44 pm wrote:

Where do I begin ?

^^^Frightening isn't it?

You're not kidding

I forgot to add. GAME BY GAME TACTICALLY RAFA KNEW AND BELIEVED IN WHAT HE WAS DOING ! RODGERS ON THE OTHER HAND NOW APPARENTLY DOESN'T EVEN KNOW HIS BEST ELEVEN OR FORMATION.

NO WONDER THE TEAM ARE UNDER PERFORMING   :veryangry

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby johnbarnes » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:05 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:20 pm wrote:
johnbarnes » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:44 pm wrote:

Where do I begin ?

^^^Frightening isn't it?

You're not kidding

I forgot to add. GAME BY GAME TACTICALLY RAFA KNEW AND BELIEVED IN WHAT HE WAS DOING ! RODGERS ON THE OTHER HAND NOW APPARENTLY DOESN'T EVEN KNOW HIS BEST ELEVEN OR FORMATION.

NO WONDER THE TEAM ARE UNDER PERFORMING   :veryangry

I look back with fondness the way Rafa made changes to his starting 11 for 99 consecutive games then on the 100th he picked the same 11 as the 99th, just to F$£K with the press. Haha!
That's a manager who knew his squad!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:26 am

johnbarnes » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:05 pm wrote:I look back with fondness the way Rafa made changes to his starting 11 for 99 consecutive games then on the 100th he picked the same 11 as the 99th, just to F$£K with the press. Haha!
That's a manager who knew his squad!

:laugh:

Yeah Rafa drove many of us nuts with his "rotation", but the fella still knew what he was doing and so did his team.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:05 pm

did most on here turn on Rafa towards the end and want him out?
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion