Cheyrou - Worth keeping?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Woollyback » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:23 pm

Any thoughts on the future of Bruno Cheyrou?

Being billed as the next Zidane by GH wasn't exactly the easiest of starts for him but his home debut suggested there would be plenty to come from him. Then it all seemed to fizzle out. It seems he's found a bit of form lately but I'd be interested to hear what others think...
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:49 pm

Maybe if Houllier decides to play him in his best position behind Owen ,watched him on eurosport when he played for Lille and he looked impressive and we all remember the screamer against the Mancs in the champions league ,for that reason alone give him a stint in his favourite role where he can be at his most inventive ,could gell well with Le Tallec and Pongalle when their given their regular chance ,ie Diao how many times has he played in midfield Houllier buys the player touted as the new Viera and plays him in defence ,its like the mancs playing Scholes in goal.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:23 am

I genuinely believe he could be a superb creative spark in the centre of midfield.

I think if we were to sign a good right sided midfielder we could ease him into the side.

In my opinion he could become as good an attacking midfielder as Hamann is a defensive one. A midfield with Kewell, Cheryou, Gerrard, +1 (Malbranque or Pennant) could be a great midfield in my opinion and would allow us to play the way most you would like as it would have the technical ability and the right mix of players.
115-1073096938

Postby redsince72 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:39 am

:;): It seems that the only thing Cheyrou looks like Zidane was his face! - when Zidane was young!!!
redsince72

Postby zackboxer » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:55 am

The next Zidane??
Well he's bald, French and got two legs but that's where the similarities end!

Still to be convinced, has proved he can score but his overall contribution to the side is too often not enough.
zackboxer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:19 am

Would Arsenal,Man Ure or Chelski have signed him?? Nuff said!!!
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:29 am

Bad argument really. Would we have singed Forlan, Djemba Djemba, Bellion, Jeffers, Wright or J Cole?
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:32 am

Cheyrou deserves more games, preferably in his favouite position.

He did well in January scoring a few very important goals without really stamping his authority on games, but at least in January he showed that he has some ability.

I would have Cheyrou ahead of Diouff, Diao, and Smicer at the moment, maybe ahead of Murphy as well.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Scottbot » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:34 am

Can't make my mind up about Cheyrou as he hasn't been able to steer clear of injury for long enough to shop what he can do on a regular basis. He has shown flashes but it is very difficult to judge some of our players because they are stuck in the most stagnant LIverpool side i have ever seen. I would probably give Chyrou another season.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:45 am

I'd give another season as well. He hasn't had a good run in the team yet to show his true potential. The real problem is wether GH has the ability to get the best out of him.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:27 pm

i'd keep him because he's still relatively young (24-25 i think) and has not been given a good run in the side. i think it took him a while to get used to the pace and physical nature of the premiership when he first came over. i agree that he must be played in his position, i.e. just behind the front two because he is not a wide man. i can see hamann probably finishing his career in germany so that would then give cheyrou a chance to shine.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:05 pm

also, he's never lost on marseilles ground as a player so if he plays tonight we're bound to win! :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:16 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Cheyrou deserves more games, preferably in his favouite position.

He did well in January scoring a few very important goals without really stamping his authority on games, but at least in January he showed that he has some ability.

I would have Cheyrou ahead of Diouff, Diao, and Smicer at the moment, maybe ahead of Murphy as well.

Fair enough, he isn't that high on my list of players we need to get rid of
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:15 pm

I think he can come good, he's clearly a talented player. He's just taken a long time to adapt to the English game and injury has made that worse. Give him time and I think he'll be a class act. Definitely worth sticking with him for another season or two.

Having said that, you should have heard some of the things I was saying about him up until he scored against Chelsea!

Agree with a lot of the comments being made about playing him in his strongest position.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:20 pm

yeah everyone was slating him at the start of the season. i remember the first game of the season against chelsea at anfield. our central midfield partnership was biscan and cheyrou. i remember alan green on five live saying after that game that biscan had TWICE as much going for him than cheyrou. how opinions change. i'd say it was the other way round.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion