A season on the brink - a book by guillen balaque - A quality read

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Feeney » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:51 pm

Just read this book and found it an excellent read. It mainly focusses on the CL final - however, it does cross over into Rafa's history, his time at LFC and his experience during the final. I'd thouroughly recommend it to you all.

A few of the highlights that it brings up are....

As you probably know, some of our younger players didn't get a CL winners medal. However, to make up for this, Pellegrino went into the Milan dressing room after the game and collected some of the unwanted losers medals. These medals are now in the custody of such players as Sinama Pongolle, Zak Whitbread and Neil Mellor. This is one of the reasons why Pellegrino is probably more loved within the dressing room at LFC than within the supporters.

During the presentation of the Euro Cup, the main ommission of the celebration is Carra. The reason for this, is due to the crippling cramp that he suffered during the game. If you watch it again, you will see Carra cannot even walk off the stage as he is in that much pain.

During the Stevie saga of last season, Stevie felt that he was unloved and unwanted. As a result, on the very day he announced his allegiance to LFC, he had a medical booked with Chelsea. Which he cancelled, obviously.

Mr Moores received a text message after the win from non other than the right honourable Mr Anthony Blair MP, congratulating him on his success.

The main thing that got the team going at half time was that someone mentioned that we needed 3 goals against Olympiacos after half time. It may have been Alonso.

Alonso was not picked for penalty duties as he had already 'missed' a pen, according to Rafa.

The back room staff play a bigger role in LFC than you may think.

I won't spoil any more - you will probably find the book available at a resonable price at the min and it worth a read.  :)

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:00 am

I think there may already be a thread about this/LFC books.

But, it is a great read. Bought it as a Xmas pressie and read it before wrapping it, in one evening.
You sense Rafa is something special.

I like the section with quotes where Traore denies he said Milan were celebrating at half time. Then Chris Bascombe says he's got Djimi on tape saying it!
You goon Djimi!
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:02 am

My Grandma got me it for Christmas (my girlfriend wasn't too pleased, I spent Christmas and Boxing Day with my head buried in the book) Really enjoyed it, great insight into Rafa's first year.
inglis5

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:20 am

Read it lad.  Got it autographed.  Quality read mate.
jonnymac1979

Postby Feeney » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:26 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:Read it lad.  Got it autographed.  Quality read mate.

Autographed? By Rafa or........?

I personally liked where the booked 'timed' your reading.... read it an you'll get it!!!  :D

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:35 am

jonnymac1979

Postby DrTNT » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:50 am

Gonna get it tomorrow, can't wait!!
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby mighty mo » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:08 am

bough it on amazon in early december and read it in 2 days ,quality read and gives a lot of insight into rafa ,CL and both  the gerrrard  chelsea exploits  and chelsea using there  media friends  in london to :censored: with gerrard's head with lies and :censored: stirring
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:10 am

Also got it, quality book, I can;t read books cos I have a short concerntration span but this had me hooked!!! :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:17 pm

It's the best footy book i've read since king kenny's autobiography a few years back. The insight it gives into the way rafa and his assisstants work is nothing less than astounding the detail that he goes into preparing for games. i was also amazed at the terrible treatment that he received from the valencia board when he walked out on them, all i can say to that is muchas gracias senores. :rasp
The chapter about stevies near transfer is almost mind blowing really and it brings a smile to the face to hear that chel$ki's behind the scenes meddling and impatience helped to shoot themselves in the foot - again thankyou very much maureen  :rasp .
Deffo get yourself a copy if you haven't already.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion