Tune - From way back when

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Woollyback » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:14 am

It's well known that after your sense of smell, it's your sense of hearing that's most closely linked to memory. Certain music for example will suddenly take you back to yesteryear...

Anyway I've just downloaded a load of Cafe del Mar albums, and amongst the diamonds and the dross was this absolute gem...    Electribe 101, Talkin with Myself (Canny Remix 1998), what a feckin cool tune   :cool:  :cool:  :cool: reminds me of a superb holiday in Rhodes back then....

so what are your tunes and what's their significance?  :cool:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:33 am

Can you post the link up to the tune ?
66-1112520797

Postby Woollyback » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:47 am

Bamaga man wrote:Can you post the link up to the tune ?

no idea mate, i got a few albums off a torrent (don't tell dawson :D ). how do i do a link?
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:53 am

Phew! where to start...

one that i'll always remember is Runaway Train - Soul Asylum. The significance of which (unastoundingly enough) was when i was trawling through Oxford Street after visiting some Music Hardware shops on Denmark St/Tottenham Ct Rd etc.. HMV was a welcome retreat from the maddening crowd. Anyway, the song (which i love btw) was playing over the P.A in the store at the time.

And it couldnt have been more apt (the title that is). Never again!!  What a mad, mad place London is   :D 

F**k me Woolly we'd be here all day with this thread. Good stuff!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Woollyback » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:05 am

red37 wrote:F**k me Woolly we'd be here all day with this thread. Good stuff!

damn right, there's a song which always reminds me of when i first went away to uni in manchester - "thing" by thin white rope, cracking little record :buttrock  what a great day that was - september 1989, just moved away from home for the very first time, the very same day city had just leathered united 5-1 at maine road :laugh:  i lived between maine road and town and it was just an endless procession of city fans heading off into town on the ale :D

yup, could dig out tunes & times all night :cool:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:10 am

Sometimes the song/tune doesnt have to be that memorable...and like smells in the wind, certain sounds really do bring the flashbacks big time.

for example

Ace of Base - All that she wants (fecking god awful song) but the memories of Turkey that evokes are in many ways clearer than any photo i could look at from that mid nineties jolly.

(maybe these are clues to happier times) i dont know...

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:19 am

The Can Can by Bad Manners and Swords of a Thousand men - Tenpole Tudor playing at a Street party for Charles and Di's wedding...

Street partys eh

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Woollyback » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:22 am

it's strange isn't it, smells & sounds/songs bring it all flooding back like images never could :cool:   smelling an ex's perfume will always remind you more than a photo ever can
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:24 am

red37 wrote:The Can Can by Bad Manners and Swords of a Thousand men - Tenpole Tudor playing at a Street party for Charles and Di's wedding...

Street partys eh

tenpole tudor :laugh:  runaway boys :buttrock  :buttrock  :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:23 am

Diving faces by Liquid Child. Sort of an Ibizaish trance ditty which is evocative of the times before the kids came along, all nighters, double esspresso's and back into the flow next day before collapsing a night later.
Somebody once said to me that once you have experienced a "rave" type atmosphere while being under the influence so to speak, every time you subsequently hear that type of music your mind and body is instantly cast backwards as if in a time machine.
I think they're right. i was driving to a little country town byt he name of Hororata yesterday which must be about 70km outside of christchurch. The road is pretty much poker straight and deserted, the scenery typically stunning New Zealand with the Autumnal hues and breathtaking views of the Southern Alps. On the stereo as I was bombing along I had God is a DJ by faithless. Bouncing off the inside of the motor I was, whilst in my head I was in "The End" off Tottenham Cort Road, fizzing rerady to pop. Music does indeed paint a picture sometimes.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:59 am

inspiring thread this, mate
probably not being there at times they're popularized
but rush were really really rock
- tom sawyer
- freewill
- spirit of the radio
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:26 am

Funny you should mention Faithless Mick, I remember listening to Nightwatchers Insomnia (I cant get no sleep) at the Lizard festival a few years back. It f.ucking rocked  :buttrock

Now I'm going to check it to see if its on my other computer, if so I'm going to take a few moments and revisit the Euphoria of the  Lizard festival. :cool:
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:32 am

Oh and another tune that takes me back to the flirting summers of the Pubs in England.

Two people, by Jean Jaque Smoothy ... I think thats the artists name not sure. :cool:
66-1112520797

Postby Woollyback » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:15 am

Bamaga man wrote:Oh and another tune that takes me back to the flirting summers of the Pubs in England.

Two people, by Jean Jaque Smoothy ... I think thats the artists name not sure. :cool:

yeah jean jacques smoothy, cool tune

there were always some brilliant tracks whenever you went on holiday, loads of different places all over the med each summer. spiller's groovejet in 2000, atb 9pm til i come from 1999, nalin & kane's beachball from 1998...

god i even remember being in fuengirola, spain in 1988 and you could sense that summer there was a massive change coming. most of the bars were still full of english muppets with mullets listening to rick astley but there was a few bars & clubs down the marina where things were different - much cooler music, cooler people, fitter birds, people from all over europe not just england :D   music like electra - jibaro, beats workin - sure beats workin...    happy days :cool:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:39 am

bigmick wrote:Diving faces by Liquid Child. Sort of an Ibizaish trance ditty which is evocative of the times before the kids came along, all nighters, double esspresso's and back into the flow next day before collapsing a night later.
Somebody once said to me that once you have experienced a "rave" type atmosphere while being under the influence so to speak, every time you subsequently hear that type of music your mind and body is instantly cast backwards as if in a time machine.
I think they're right. i was driving to a little country town byt he name of Hororata yesterday which must be about 70km outside of christchurch. The road is pretty much poker straight and deserted, the scenery typically stunning New Zealand with the Autumnal hues and breathtaking views of the Southern Alps. On the stereo as I was bombing along I had God is a DJ by faithless. Bouncing off the inside of the motor I was, whilst in my head I was in "The End" off Tottenham Cort Road, fizzing rerady to pop. Music does indeed paint a picture sometimes.

He he! Bigmick was a raver :D

Good thread btw !

Talking about dance music,whenever i hear 'For what you dream of'..cant remember the artist?
Its a dance tune,it was also in trainspotting playing in the club when Renton hooks up with that cute Schooly.

Well anyway that takes me right back to Kellys in Portrush when i was about 18.About 12 of us used to head up for the weekend once a month...I wont get into detail but we were a bit mental!

Whenever i here that tune now(very raely)it brings a huge smile to my face and a great memory always comes back,different ones every time.
Also gives me goosebumps!
What a tune :buttrock  :buttrock
66-1120597113

Next

Return to General Chat Forum